Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: loyola vs southwestern?  (Read 1598 times)

live in la

• View Profile
loyola vs southwestern?
« on: January 13, 2004, 01:58:17 PM »
I'm considering the part-time (evening) programs at both Loyola and Southwestern.  It seems that Loyola has a better reputation, but if I get a scholarship to Southwestern, I'm considering going there (3.7, 170).  Does anyone have an opinion on whether it would be preferable to go to Loyola, even if I get a scholarship to Southwestern?

lp4law

• Sr. Citizen
  • super genius
    • View Profile
Re: loyola vs southwestern?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2004, 05:14:57 PM »
I just completed my first semester (evening) at Southwestern.  My good friend and co-worker just completed his first semester (evening) at Loyola.  Needless to say, we frequently took the time to compare our experiences throughout the semester in some detail. 

Our comparisons strongly indicated that the schools are roughly equivalent in terms of the quality of the legal education offered. Interestingly however, Southwestern seemed to have a greater workload, as evidenced by the number of actual class hours (1-2 more per week), the length of the semester (about 1 week longer), and the greater number of graded writing assignments.  In fact, my co-worker frequently commented, "You guys are really getting your money's worth." ;D

With that said, had I been initially accepted at Loyola, I would have ended up going there.  Loyola's ranking relative to Southwestern's would have been the sole reason for that choice.

However, your case differs from mine in that I wasn't offered a [full?] scholarship to Southwestern.  So it really boils down to whether the actual difference in reputation between the two schools is worth an extra $100k over the next four years. 

Prior to my experience at Southwestern, I would have struggled with the same question if I were in your shoes.  However, in retrospect, there would be no struggle. I would pocket the $100k and go with Southwestern, easily.  If it was a difference between Southwestern and Harvard, or even UCLA, I might be inclined to spend the extra $100k. ;)

By the way, if you need a little more convincing, check out the library and newly completed courtroom at Southwestern in the Bullocks Wilshire Building.  The new courtroom is beautiful, and is one of the most state-of-the-art in existence.  It's enough to make you want to be a lawyer.

Good luck!  You can't go wrong with either choice.

lp
"What we do in life...echoes in eternity." -- Gladiator

live in la

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2004, 11:16:33 AM »
lp - Thanks for the input!  By the way, are you working while attending the evening program?  How difficult is it to both work and attend evening classes and get the assigned reading completing?  I'd love to hear anything about your experience!  Thanks.

lp4law

• Sr. Citizen
  • super genius
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2004, 05:06:29 PM »
I work 8 hours/day (40 hours/week) as an engineer up in the Camarillo area.  I live in Ventura.  I generally start work at 7:00am and end at 3:30pm.  I then head down to school along PCH on Monday through Thursday.  Most of the time I make it to school by 5pm.  I freshen up on some reading and classes begin at 6pm.  I'm usually home by 10:30pm. 

I'm also involved in a start-up technology company on the side, but those hours are much more flexible.

I do most of my reading on the weekend, and some at my day job (when I can sneak it in).  So far I've been able to hold my own among my class peers.  I think the key is that I enjoy learning the material, because much of it is in some way applicable to my outside business activities.

Like anything, if you enjoy the material (or at least convince yourself that you do), then it's not really that difficult.  Unfortunately, many people see law school as just "paying their dues" for 3-4 years before entering the profession. That mindset just allows additional stress to build up when it's really unnecessary and counter-productive.

If you're relaxed and having good time, you think more clearly.  Clear thinking is an important asset in your readings, in class and on exams.  So don't listen to the horror stories.

Good luck. :D

lp
"What we do in life...echoes in eternity." -- Gladiator