Law School Discussion

McGeorge with $$ or Santa Clara?

McGeorge with $$ or Santa Clara?
« on: March 23, 2006, 12:41:27 PM »
So I'm trying to decide between these two schools. Santa Clara isn't giving me any money, but graduates make way more $$ than McGeorge. I have visited both schools and they are both nice fore different reasons. I ultimately want to transfer to Hastings or Berkeley (if possible), I've been told that most T1s think of these schools as equal. McGeorge is T2 (90 and rising) in the 06 rankings and Santa Clara dropped to T3. Historically, this is an anomoly, usually SCU is rated higher. Both schools have really strong alumni networks.

I am pretty close with a judge that teaches adjunct at McGeorge, he tells me that either choice isn't a bad one, But... if I happen to decide to go to McGeorge, he can mentor me. So that's another thing I am thinking about.

Anyone in a similar position? (Oh yeah it's 10k/year I'm getting from McGeorge)

Re: McGeorge with $$ or Santa Clara?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2006, 03:40:41 PM »
I am in a similar situation with a 10K scholarship to McGeorge as well as no money to Santa Clara.  My brother and his GF are both 2Ls at McGeorge right now and they like it there.  When I went to visit the school for the Legal Scholars day, I was very impressed and felt that it was a place that I could see myself going to.  They are fairly well recognized in the Sacramento area, but thats about it. 

I don't know where you want to practice or what area of law you want to go into, but either of those schools is highly regional(Santa Clara less so than McGeorge).  McGeorge students can only fully utilize the schools reputation and network in the Sacramento area.  Santa Clara does historically have a stronger reputation than its current 3rd tier, but again, it is also relatively regional with most of its graduates going toward San Jose and the Silicone Valley (you'll see that 20% of its graduates go to tech-corporations in the area and thus result in higher salaries).  If you're from the area or don't mind practicing in those two particular areas, then you're right, they are both fantastic choices. I am now debating between Southwestern and Pepperdine in the LA area for similar reasons of proximity to where I want to practice and local networks. (Leaning toward Pepperdine for their higher Bar passage rate and lower attrition)

I personally would choose Santa Clara because of its longer line of prestige and salary prospects (if you don't mind the area).  The $10K scholarship at McGeorge is appealing, but its renewable only if you're in the top 30% of your class (and as you'll read over and over in this forum, Law School is a whole new game of competition and hard work so who knows where you'll stand)  The same goes for transferring, but rather than being in the top 30% of your class, you'll need to be in the top 10-15% for Hastings and 5-10% for Berkeley (and hopefully a place on Law Review).  I don't know if you went to Legal Scholars day, but alot of the people there on Scholarship are very very intelligent and competitive people.  Another thing about McGeorge that I learned from my brother is that their Bar passage rate suffered pretty significantly last year and Dean Elizabeth was shitting bricks about it.  Hopefully their average doesn't suffer too much, but they became top100 only this year.  That could easily change especially with their Bar passage rates from last year.

Anyway, to sum up, both are great schools, but both are regional.  McGeorge guarantees you at least a $10K discount out of your whole time there and you'll have a great mentor, but if you're looking for the safer choice, I would say Santa Clara.  Cheers!

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2006, 04:04:26 PM »
Thanks, for the response. Your reply mirrors what I've been thinking. The more people who agree the better I feel about it. I have always leaned towards SCU.

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2006, 04:47:14 PM »
wait let me get this straight, you are undecided, and then a judge offers to mentor you. This same judge is on faculty. Your performmance in school and subsequent employment reflects upon this judges ability to mentor and thus his social and professional standing. If you attend pacific you have an established and politcally connected member of faculty willing to do whatever he can to help you? this seems like the defintley safer route, plus you have a scholarship!

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2006, 02:45:45 AM »
Good point.

Thats definitely a benefit that going to McGeorge will carry, but I'm assuming that you have a personal relationship ("close with a judge") that isn't contingent on your attending McGeorge.  And who knows, like roughly 30% of people applying to law school, maybe Jason's primary concern is making money (Where Santa Clara's average significantly suprasses McGeorge).

I still say Santa Clara, but thats because I'm a money-grubbing man-whore.

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2006, 10:54:40 AM »
Money doesn't completely motivate me; but having said that, I will have about $200k in debt when I graduate, so the higher average at Santa Clara is very big. The female dog of it is, if they had similar salaries at graduation I would go to McGeorge in a heart beat.

I guess I too am a money-grubbing man-whore.

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2006, 11:07:40 PM »
Money doesn't completely motivate me; but having said that, I will have about $200k in debt when I graduate, so the higher average at Santa Clara is very big. The female dog of it is, if they had similar salaries at graduation I would go to McGeorge in a heart beat.

I guess I too am a money-grubbing man-whore.

Cost of living is way higher in the Bay Area as opposed to the Sacramento Region, maybe a reason why Santa Clara graduates earn more starting off, consider that also