Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Re-applying -- think I can get in again?  (Read 486 times)

icf

• View Profile
Re-applying -- think I can get in again?
« on: March 23, 2006, 01:22:32 PM »
so, I'm thinking about withdrawing from UCLA and re-applying this fall (they don't allow deferment).  anyone have any experiences with re-applying or thoughts on what my chances of getting back in are?

I sort of feel like I was lucky to get in in the first place (3.6/166) so i better just take it now.  I don't really have a great excuse, I just want to work another year where I am for the extra money.  On the other hand, if I submit my application on the very first day, and apply early decision, maybe I could get in again?

Thoughts?

Jaustin

• Sr. Citizen
  • I am a victim of the Science Age.
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Re-applying -- think I can get in again?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2006, 01:26:29 PM »
You had better take the bird in hand.  Look around at all the people with excellent #'s getting waitlised and rejected.
God, Country, Notre Dame

postal007

• Sr. Citizen
  • Bite Me Fergie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2006, 02:00:48 PM »
My girlfriend withdrew and reapplied, but she retook her LSATs and got 5-6 points higher (I won't give the exact score range, but its not like she went from 170 to 176 or something).  She got in both times.

Nothing is guaranteed... my guess is they will take a look at what you've been doing in the meantime and maybe make a judgement?  My advice: take it now.

WfPck05

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2006, 03:52:33 PM »
I would definitely take it now unless there are some very serious reasons why you can't do it this fall.

icf

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2006, 04:04:09 PM »
yeah, i suppose it would be crazy to not go

my deal is that i'm working as a paralegal at a huge law firm in nyc.  when i was hired, i was asked to make a 2-yr commitment (no contract or anything like that, though) and i was like, yeah, sure, even though i had already applied to law schools.  obviously, they don't want to train ppl who are just going to leave in a year.  almost all the paras here are college grads who work for two years then go to law school.  so, if i bounce now, i haven't done my two years.  i didn't care before, but now i'm starting to feel obligated/guilty.

also, a couple of ppl here have been telling me that if i leave, it will be really really frowned upon.  since when you apply for bar admission, they go back to all your previous law employers, i'm concerned that my current employers will say bad things about me.  am i being really paranoid and stupid?  should i just be like f-it to the firm and do my own thing?

greengrl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2006, 04:32:06 PM »
first thought is definitely: GO. You're in, you've presumably got what you want so why the hell wait. However, consider the validity of the sources telling you that it will be frowned upon if you leave this position. Who are they and do you have a reason to think they know sh*t about the whole process.  If you really think bailing on this position will negatively affect you then perhaps it's worth it to stick around. If they are just haters who wish they had a law school acceptance in their hand, tell them you'll send them postcards when you're a 1L and GO

juliemccoy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Treat??
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2006, 04:36:53 PM »
I don't really have a great excuse, I just want to work another year where I am for the extra money. 

You will be making a lot more money in three years than if you take a year off to "save money."

Think of all the people who would love to be at UCLA. Now double that number for next year's admission stats. You've already said you were an unlikely admit.

And seriously, you want to go through all of this uncertainty AGAIN next cycle?

Go to UCLA this fall. Stick to a budget. Cook at home and drink less beer. Get a paid summer internship. That will solve your money problems.
Vanderbilt 2010