Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Does it Matter Where you go to Law School?  (Read 28822 times)

Happy_Weasel

• LSD Obsessed
  • Me and Gir, the happy weasel.
    • MSN Messenger - ominusdemon2@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Does it Matter Where you go to Law School?
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2006, 12:43:33 PM »
Well, I only have plans for 60K-100K starting salary level law in Denver, so I think I should be OK. If I am not, I guess I will wash off my academic impurities with an LLM from Denver(if I haven't transferred there or Arizona). If even that doesn't work, I can always write a book about how the "middle class crush" has spread up to the upper-middle class. I'm thinking about a book around Barbara Ehrenreich's "Nickled and Dimed" and "Bait and Switch".

ibroadrunr

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2006, 12:58:18 PM »
baff
Work, and a PT online MLIS.  Reapply down the line.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=ibroadrunr

Happy_Weasel

• LSD Obsessed
  • Me and Gir, the happy weasel.
    • MSN Messenger - ominusdemon2@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2006, 12:59:44 PM »
the hell does that mean? I'll write about if I can't get a decent law job.

ibroadrunr

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2006, 01:07:33 PM »
baff = tag = nothing to add now, but sticking this thread in my unreads
Work, and a PT online MLIS.  Reapply down the line.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=ibroadrunr

burghblast

• Sr. Citizen
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tforsean
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2006, 05:06:54 PM »
Burgh, thanks for the info . . . you did, however, forget Depaul.  Any tips for getting in off the waitlist?  I'm planning to visit NU next week, then hopefully write a letter of continued interest about how special my visit was. 

Ahh DePaul, I knew I was leaving someone out.  And I was just in their neighborhood two nights ago for wings and beer.

As far as the WL goes, I don't know of anything specifically helpful for NU.  I got into Michigan off the WL last year after staying in continued contact with the dean herself and the admissions office.  I sent a couple e-mails reiterating that Michigan was one of my top choices and that I was really hopeful about getting in.  I think I even let them know I was in at NU and needed to make up my mind soon - from what I understand dropping the names of other schools that "compete" with the school you're trying to get into can be enticing. 

I see you're in at UoC and I know NU loves to steal students away from them, so if you have a particular, compelling interest you'd rather be at NU than UoC, emphasize that.

[EDIT] Whoops, my bad - I just realized you didn't get into UoC.  So nevermind that last piece of advice :)

Conversely, I was WL'd at WUSL, where I expected to be a near "auto-admit" based on LSN's numbers and my success at several higher ranked and comparable schools.  However, WUSL was the one school I showed absolutely zero interest in after mailing the application.  I never called or e-mailed to check on my status.  I didn't stay on the WUSL waitlist, so I'll never know if I might have eventually been admitted there.  But the lesson seems to be that these schools really keep track of the little, personal signals you send - or lack thereof. 

street_ave

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2006, 01:30:58 AM »
burghblast, i did not have the numbers to apply to nu or u of c, but i want to go to law school and eventually practice in chicago. i was waitlisted at loyola, kent, and depaul, and was recently taken off the kent and depaul waitlists if i will attend part time/evening status for the first year (same deal at both kent and depaul). i am still waiting to hear from loyola as it is my top choice of the three schools. so i have a question:

what is your (or anyone's) general perception of these three schools in chicago? i am leaning toward choosing kent over depaul if it comes down to that because it is ranked higher and the grads seem more successful, but i am a bit worried because nobody has really even heard of kent outside of chicago (which could matter far in the future), yet depaul has a decent national reputation...and so i am having a hard time making that decision.  anyone have any insight?

Paragon of Prestige

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2006, 01:55:50 AM »
If it's not Princteon, the rest are fungible.

street_ave

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2006, 02:46:02 AM »
I've considered the salary statistics that rank Kent higher than Depaul, but I don't know how much I trust those, either. 

Anyone else have any ideas about Kent v. Depaul?

Alamo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2006, 10:20:10 AM »
Anecdote: I was visiting the George Mason law library, and saw that they carry the Depaul Business Law Journal, dating back pretty far.  Since law libraries probably can't carry every journal from every school (unless it's Yale's), this makes me think that:

1) Depaul's stength is business law.
2) Depaul might be a pretty decent school.

However, I'm certainly no law librarian, so if my speculation is misguided, I would welcome a more accurate assessment (maybe all law libraries DO carry all other schools' journals since the beginning of time). 
I must admit that I may have been infected with society's prejudices and predilections and attributed them to God . . . and that in years hence I may be seen as someone who was on the wrong side of history.  I don't believe such doubts make me a bad Christian.  I believe they make me human . . .

superman10

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 18, 2006, 11:11:12 PM »
Burgh, this anecdote you gave about people not finding work coming out of Kent or Loyola: do you think it applies to people who want to do IP as well? I've always felt that people going into IP law are a little bit less affected by the whole rankings thing.

I know you were EE so I'm wondering if you know about this. Are you looking to do IP as well?

Thanks.