Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Does it Matter Where you go to Law School?  (Read 28894 times)

Alamo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Does it Matter Where you go to Law School?
« Reply #60 on: May 02, 2006, 10:57:23 AM »
Just about all undergraduate educations are equal.

Although we can all have only 1 undergraduate education, so we can never REALLY know, I'm gonna call shenanigans.  Personally, I think I would've gotten a very different education if I'd gone to Swarthmore as opposed to UVA, and those are recognized as somewhat comparable schools.  When you compare Yale to Southeast Podunk State, I don't think you get an equal education.

I went to a state school for undergrad and got a great job after graduation as well as being admitted to a T20 law school. 

I have met and spoken to Harvard grads. that are going to 2nd tier law schools.  It doesn't matter where you went, just your GPA and LSAT score.

One thing I have learned throughout my growth process as a person is I will do whatever it takes to get my children to go to a state school.  It simply does not make sense to end up $50-100K in debt for undergrad.

I agree that it's definitely possible for a dedicated student out of any school to achieve success.  I think that the difference in education is probably greater than the difference in outcomes.  But there are a ton of different factors that influence an education: school size and location are very important in addition to perceived notions of "quality."  I refuse to believe that they're roughly equal; not that one deserves a claim to being "superior," just that they're different. 
I must admit that I may have been infected with society's prejudices and predilections and attributed them to God . . . and that in years hence I may be seen as someone who was on the wrong side of history.  I don't believe such doubts make me a bad Christian.  I believe they make me human . . .

Erapitt

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 02, 2006, 11:08:53 AM »
You can believe what you want, but it sounds to me like you are a freshly graduating senior.  The real world could care less where your UG degree comes from.  A bachelors is nothing more than the price of admission.  Major, where, etc.... its all irrelevant.  The degree just gives you chance to get into the big game, after that it is up to you to make yourself stand out from the crowd.
Attending GW in Fall '06

trogdor

• Sr. Citizen
  • the BURNINATOR!
    • View Profile
    • LSN profile
« Reply #62 on: May 02, 2006, 11:23:21 AM »
You can believe what you want, but it sounds to me like you are a freshly graduating senior.  The real world could care less where your UG degree comes from.  A bachelors is nothing more than the price of admission.  Major, where, etc.... its all irrelevant.  The degree just gives you chance to get into the big game, after that it is up to you to make yourself stand out from the crowd.

this is not entirely true.  i agree that it definitely does not matter as much where you go to undergrad as it does where you go to law school, and it matters far less where you go to undergrad if you go straight to grad/professional school afterwards as compared to working.  i went to a decent public school, graduated with a 4.0 (i transferred there after freshman year elsewhere), graduated magna cum laude, and came out looking for a job.  i put in tons of applications (private, government, and nonprofit) over a 4 month period.  i got a job offer in mid-august.  now, compare this to one of my friends who graduated from stanford.  she didn't even have to look for a job (not one single resume sent out blindly).  a nonprofit in dc asked an acquaintance if she knew of any stanford grads with an english background who needed a job as a technical writer/editor.  instant job offer... no official interview, no look at the resume, just a call.  this is not the only case i know of either...  having said this, i was able to secure a great job with great starting pay after putting in a lot of hard work, but nothing was handed to me like it is to grads at some of the top schools in the nation. 

for law school apps, undergrad matters minimally, but it's still taken into consideration.  you think adcoms look at a 3.8 from a state school the same as a 3.8 from HYP?  definitely not...  it's not an overwhelming difference, and not worth the 50-100k debt you may incur in undergrad at those schools without rich parents, but you can't say it makes no difference. 
"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." Orwell

jiggedyjared

« Reply #63 on: May 02, 2006, 11:24:59 AM »
You can believe what you want, but it sounds to me like you are a freshly graduating senior.  The real world could care less where your UG degree comes from.  A bachelors is nothing more than the price of admission.  Major, where, etc.... its all irrelevant.  The degree just gives you chance to get into the big game, after that it is up to you to make yourself stand out from the crowd.

Precisely.  When I graduated from college, I just knew that my UG school was the sh**.  After working for a bit, I know better.  It's pretty much all equal - the classes I mean.  The key to a really good UG education is getting involved outside the classroom in professional clubs, sports, etc.

Alamo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 02, 2006, 11:25:08 AM »

Actually, by the time I start LS this fall I'll have been out for 6 years.  I often wonder how my life would be different if I'd chose to go to college elsewhere.  Pointless speculation, I realize, and perhaps it would be no different.  While my school's name recognition (particularly within the state) has helped me in a few cases, you're right, most people could care less.  Once again, I'm talking about the education itself, not the professional outcomes of the education, as being different among different schools.
I must admit that I may have been infected with society's prejudices and predilections and attributed them to God . . . and that in years hence I may be seen as someone who was on the wrong side of history.  I don't believe such doubts make me a bad Christian.  I believe they make me human . . .

Erapitt

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 02, 2006, 11:25:51 AM »
Fair enough trog.  Point taken.

However, I do think it is extremely hyped up as to the importance of going to a good UG.  Especially in terms of the cost. It simply isn't worth $100K to end up with a job paying $40-50K to start (and that is on the higher end than many entry-level positions).
Attending GW in Fall '06

Alamo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 02, 2006, 11:32:42 AM »
Fair enough trog.  Point taken.

However, I do think it is extremely hyped up as to the importance of going to a good UG.  Especially in terms of the cost. It simply isn't worth $100K to end up with a job paying $40-50K to start (and that is on the higher end than many entry-level positions).

I understand, and I was lucky to have such a good public school in my state to attend for undergrad.  I think differences in school quality are overhyped, and often blindly accepted as "conventional wisdom," but that does not, to me, make all UG educations equal.

trogdor

• Sr. Citizen
  • the BURNINATOR!
    • View Profile
    • LSN profile
« Reply #67 on: May 02, 2006, 11:40:32 AM »
I understand, and I was lucky to have such a good public school in my state to attend for undergrad. 

lucky for you.  i came from a state with ridiculous public schools.  i look at people from california, texas, etc., and think... i hate you! jk   :D  truly, it does suck that this is the case though.  there should be more cooperative exchange programs for those in "less desirable" states without access to good public schools. 
"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." Orwell

blocke123

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 02, 2006, 11:44:42 AM »

However, I do think it is extremely hyped up as to the importance of going to a good UG.  Especially in terms of the cost. It simply isn't worth $100K to end up with a job paying $40-50K to start (and that is on the higher end than many entry-level positions).

I understand, and I was lucky to have such a good public school in my state to attend for undergrad.  I think differences in school quality are overhyped, and often blindly accepted as "conventional wisdom," but that does not, to me, make all UG educations equal.

While its not a sole contributing factor the UG you go to is a factor for the FIRST JOB out of college.  In fact it is a huge factor, this is from someone who has been out in the field for four years.  The year I graduated the UG I went to made a difference (UIUC) but after two years of glowing reviews at a major corporation known for its reputation, no one even asks where I went to.

That's all I'm saying.  All the lawyers I ask say it does matter where you go if you want to go into private law, with diminishing returns after a few years in the profession.
Wants to meet me under the bleachers: DePaul ($$$), John Marshall ($$$ withdrawn), American, Miami (withdrawn), IOWA, Kent ($$)
Wants to meet me by the bike rack: Indiana
Told me they need to wash their hair: Loyola

Erapitt

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 02, 2006, 11:48:15 AM »

While its not a sole contributing factor the UG you go to is a factor for the FIRST JOB out of college.  In fact it is a huge factor, this is from someone who has been out in the field for four years.  The year I graduated the UG I went to made a difference (UIUC) but after two years of glowing reviews at a major corporation known for its reputation, no one even asks where I went to.

That's all I'm saying.  All the lawyers I ask say it does matter where you go if you want to go into private law, with diminishing returns after a few years in the profession.

This is outright wrong.  I have been out for three years as well and you are sitting here telling me where you go to UG matters for your first job while I sit behind my cushy desk in the job I received after graduation.  I went to a state school and did alright, nothing amazing.  Don't make broad generalizations when you can't back them up.

Law school is a different story.  It will always matter to some extent.  Just more so earlier than later after graduation.

Trog. are you from DC?  You realize you could have gotten in-state tuition in any state, right?  Its one of the benefits of taxation without representation.
Attending GW in Fall '06