Law School Discussion

whats the highest a new school has been ranked?

whats the highest a new school has been ranked?
« on: March 23, 2006, 07:51:42 AM »
hey, i was wondering if anyone knows whats the highest on the US News that a new school has been ranked.  i know ive read stuff about UNLV debuting pretty high and Ave Maria is supposed to make a good jump into the rankings ive heard but does anyone know what the most impressive point a school has debuted at? 

i guess most schools start out in T4 but is it normal for schools to start out in T3, T2, or even T1? 

just wondering about how some of the new schools entering the market could push some schools down a tier by debuting at a good spot.  Schools like Ave Maria, Drexel, and Elon i think all have the potential to make a good mark on the US News. 

Granted Ave Maria has already done a good job, Drexel and Elon have a long way to go before they will be ranked but if they do things right which it seems like they are (good studetnts, faculty, etc), i dont see why a T2 or T3 slot isnt possible for either of them. 

kree

• View Profile
Re: whats the highest a new school has been ranked?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2006, 06:00:56 PM »
I've only heard of UNLV debuting in the top 100.
I'm guessing Ave Maria will debut in tier 3

No idea how Drexel will do in a few years- of course, if I end up attending there I hope it debuts in the top 100!

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2006, 09:35:42 PM »
Northwestern is a fairly new law school, and they shot up the rankings probably faster than anyone.  I'm not sure about their debut though.  And I also think that they're helped by having such a highly-regarded undergrad and business school.

Mr. Pink

• @#!* YOU! @#!* YOU! I'M f-in' DYING HERE! I'M FU
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2006, 09:39:39 PM »
Princeton Law School is projected to debut as a Tier 1 once they secure a faculty and finish building the Law Center, all this is supposed to happen by 2012

shae

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2006, 09:56:47 PM »
isnt UCLA fairly new?  what did they debut at?

mae8

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2006, 10:05:17 PM »
UNLV may be the best real example. They had exceptional circumstabces however, as in they're still the only ls in the state of neveda. Any new school i can think of would have to compete with local established programs with thousands of alums already in the field. I think this will be a problem a school like Drexel will face. Barring an ivy quality school joining the ls game i cant see any school breaking into T1 shortly after inception.

spud1987

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2006, 10:24:40 PM »
isnt UCLA fairly new?  what did they debut at?

I'm pretty sure UCLA has been accredited since 1959, which makes it one of the newest T20 schools, but its not that new. 

Mr. Pink

• @#!* YOU! @#!* YOU! I'M f-in' DYING HERE! I'M FU
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2006, 10:45:27 PM »
Its not when it got accredited that's the problem.  It's the USNews ranking that makes it impossible for new schools to climb up the rankings.  No law school can make a strong move to climb the rankings without everyone noticing it. 

Happy_Weasel

• Me and Gir, the happy weasel.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2006, 10:45:36 AM »
What about UNLV? It was introduced as 2T, but most schools are 4T when they come out. Ave Maria may be interesting though.

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2006, 07:55:06 AM »
i know ive heard that Ave Maria has the potential to get T2 or T3 but why is that?  i know its a good school and they've maintained a respectable lsat/gpa since opening and have good faculty, but is there another reason that they are supposed to make such a good jump? 

ive never actually heard of of Ave Maria until this year when i started looking at law schools.  it seems like history of the us news has shown that with only a few exceptions most of the higher ranked schools are affiliated with a large university (or at least a well known university academically). 

i was just wondering if Ave Maria is part of a large university that i just dont know about or if they are just doing everytyhing right that they possibly could be doing when starting a law school.