Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Houston Law Roll Call  (Read 6679 times)

veg

Re: Houston Law Roll Call
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2006, 02:42:06 AM »
I'm looking at properties in (South) Bellaire, and West University. I heard those were good neighborhoods.
I'm nontrad though, and I need a good school district. You can probably live in a less expensive area if you don't need a good school (they're few and far between in HISD).

TXChoo

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2006, 02:27:43 PM »
A lot of students also live in Rice Village (near Rice Univ of course).  Downtown is nice but can be pretty pricy since its near the Galleria. 

Is anyone going to be full-time?  Also, wondering on people's thoughts about apartments/roommate situation?

wakebrett1

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2006, 04:39:07 PM »
I will be full-time. So, anyone back from the law day yet?
University of Houston Law starting Fall 2006.

MustangAlum

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2006, 04:46:21 PM »
A lot of students also live in Rice Village (near Rice Univ of course).  Downtown is nice but can be pretty pricy since its near the Galleria. 

Is anyone going to be full-time?  Also, wondering on people's thoughts about apartments/roommate situation?

Not sure if you're from Houston... but the Galleria and Downtown are pretty far apart. Downtown/Midtown is not too bad in re: to pricing. Pretty normal, or even slightly lower, considering the size of the city of Houston.

Rice Village is popular, and many people also live by the Medical Center. I wouldn't recommend living too close to the UH campus.
SMU Undergraduate '05
Univ. of South Carolina Law '09

wakebrett1

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: April 01, 2006, 02:49:42 AM »
What was everyone's impression of the law school day? I wasn't able to attend because of school. Please share your experiences.

TXChoo

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2006, 12:28:44 PM »
You are right about the Galleria and Downtown being far apart.  I guess I just kinda mixed the two together.  I am not from Houston but go there every now and then since I have a lot of friends who live there.  But I'm from Austin and went to UT.  I have heard Rice Village and the Medical Center are good areas to live in too...lots of stuff to do.

In terms of pricing for an apt, TX's standard of living is much cheaper than most other areas of the nation.  So it depends on what you consider expensive.  "High end" housing can be considered at the lower end in any other big U.S. city. 

How was admit day?

halfjewhalfgoy

« Reply #36 on: April 01, 2006, 04:29:57 PM »
I just got back from the law day and the airport.

At the breakfast I chatted up fellow students and all of them seemed very friendly.  I noticed many of them have been out of school for a year or more.  As expected most are from Texas.

they divided us up into four groups and I was in A.  Each group got to sit in on a different class, thus, the class I sat in on was Constitutional law.  The topic of the day was affrimative action and it was interesting as most of the class time was disscussion between students about the topic moderated by the professor.  To me it did not seem as though she drilled the socratic method into you but then again she probably altered her teaching a little, since, we were sitting in on the class.  Later that day i ran into the professor in the hall and she stopped and talked to me about 15 minutes.  She was very friendly and we had a nice conversation.

The tour guides we had were not the best as it seemed like they were a bit disorganized but as perviously stated the building is not the most appealing but it is acceptable but it is an upgrade over my undergrad.   Each 1l section as their own room were each individual is assigned a carrouel and they noted many close friendships and relationships occur between fellow section members.  The atomsphere seemed more laid-back than competitive.

I attended the housing seminar, so the following is the housing those students recommended.  They said the rice village, medical center, and many apratments along 288 were popular with students.  they  said estimated commute time varied between 10 to 20 minutes.  As i rode out there this timing seemed correct.  a question arose as to what areas to avoid for various reasons and they said avoid housing near the school, along 45, and to the east.  Also, living within loop 610 is advisable.  once again, these were the statements the students made at the housing seminar so take it for what its worth.

The financial aid lady spoke and said they would begin awarding financial aid starting 4/10 and that they would notify you of the award by email.  she spoke of the new gradplus loan that is avaible, which elimantes the need for loans from private loans.  the loan has a fixed interest rate and I do not believe you need a cosinger but the loan was just conceived in febrauary, therefore, the exact details about are still abit vague.

The trip confirmed my decision to attend there.  I am very excited and pumped up.  If you have any questions just ask and sorry for any grammatical errors I have just got home from the airport but ill definately be back on late tonight.

wakebrett1

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: April 01, 2006, 06:48:44 PM »
Can you post some pictures from your visit? You mentioned that earlier. Thanks.

wakebrett1

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: April 02, 2006, 05:26:06 PM »
Anyone else go to Houston Law day? Care to share your experiences?

Isutrackstar

• AOL Instant Messenger - tashathehooper
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: April 02, 2006, 08:23:59 PM »
I went to the admitted studentís day and really enjoyed myself. The people were VERY friendly  and laid back! The student ambassadors were very helpful and happy with their schooling.  Just about everything else has already been mentioned.