Law School Discussion

R&B v. Neo-Soul

2Lacoste

• Johan Santana for President
    • View Profile
R&B v. Neo-Soul
« on: March 22, 2006, 09:31:41 PM »
Am I the only one who can't stand today's radio R&B?  I mean, isn't it apparent that Chris Brown and Ne-Yo can't hold a candle to Musiq and Van Hunt?  And speaking of Van Hunt, ya'll know he has a new album dropping the Tuesday after next (listen to his new single on his website or iTunes...fire)!  Gotta catch that!  I'll catch him and Heather Headley when they come to NYC on tour. 

So, y'all, who are y'all listening to these days?  Do you share my antipathy towards today's R&B?

Statistic

• I never had a chance
    • View Profile
Re: R&B v. Neo-Soul
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2006, 10:31:23 PM »
Nope

M DOT

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2006, 11:15:21 PM »
not only is ne-yo a talented singer, but he's one of the hottest writers out right now from mary j to mario.....other than him though i dont think there are any new artists and mean new in the past year that deserve much respect...pl also slept on leela james last year

Statistic

• I never had a chance
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2006, 12:16:06 AM »
keyshia cole!

magnumalv

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2006, 06:48:18 AM »
neo-soul

current R&B puts me to sleep

Slow Blues

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2006, 07:55:10 AM »
Agree w/lacoste. current r&b is pretty wack. There's a few gems like Lex said, but I think you need to go beyond the tired 20-track radio rotation. But then again, I'm not the biggest R&B fan. All I own that could be considered R&B are John Legend, Alicia Keys and Musiq... and R Kels.

2Lacoste

• Johan Santana for President
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2006, 08:03:20 AM »
not only is ne-yo a talented singer, but he's one of the hottest writers out right now from mary j to mario.....other than him though i dont think there are any new artists and mean new in the past year that deserve much respect...pl also slept on leela james last year

I guess I could deal with Ne-Yo's stuff, though I'm obviously no fan of young buck party crooners like Mario.  Leela James was definitely slept on.  She has a decent live album out now, definitely worth a listen.

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2006, 08:10:58 AM »
omg I cannot stand Keishya Cole....her voice cracks so much it's embarassing...

I dissent with lacoste on Ne-yo as I actually like his cd.. but the majority of new R&B is GARBAGE..

I hate the term neo soul and I remember an interview on VH-1 a few yrs ago with the artists that were labelled in that genre... the majority of them seemed to have a problem with that term... save Amel Larrieux... but for the sake of this discussion you can throw my listening pleasure into the box of neo soul ;)

I also love most old skool R&B.. and male artists that began their careers  in the 90s Joe... Kenny Lattimore and Brian Mcknight (his non sell out songs lol) for example....speaking of McKnight... I am hoping that one day he puts out a jazz album as his talents are downplayed by the current demand... he recently performed a remake of Hall and Oates Sarah Smile (definitely not jazz though lol)... loved it

I have more of an appreciation for artists that write their own music as well as write for others...producing...musician ship.. all of that is a plus to me

magnumalv

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2006, 08:12:40 AM »
I hate the term neo soul and I remember an interview on VH-1 a few yrs ago with the artists that were labelled in that genre... the majority of them seemed to have a problem with that term... save Amel Larrieux... but for the sake of this discussion you can throw my listening pleasure into the box of neo soul ;)

yeah, isn't the whole point of "neo-soul" that they've got old soul in new songs?

Slow Blues

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2006, 08:17:51 AM »
I think we need a new genre called Party and we can throw keyshia cole, t-pain, and mario, etc. in that bucket. Leave R&B to some of the other talented people out there.