Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: More fun with EFC and Parent Contribution Questions!  (Read 582 times)

LubedPumpkin

• Happily flushing at my TTT.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - PhunkyKatie
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal
    • Email
More fun with EFC and Parent Contribution Questions!
« on: March 22, 2006, 10:39:09 PM »
Because this board hasn't been beaten to death already..

Anywy, my EFC is bupkus. I got my financial aid "package" from Albany Law a while ago (just found out now from my parents, gee thanks) and I got the full stafford business and private loans of $32344 or whatever it was. Now, they never asked for my parents' information. I *did* fill out the NYS Tuition Assistance Program thing (which the top amount they give is $550, but I guess I didn't get any.) My parents' AGI was less than $60,000 (more than $55,000.. I forget).

So.. did I get squat in aid because ALS doesn't have any to give? Or, am I generally in a position in which I should expect to have nothing? I already knew I'd be $200k in the hole (I've got $50k undergrad loans, a mix of private and subsidized only) so I'm not too flipping-out about it.. just curious. ???
'pumpkin
----------------------
Signed, Sealed Delivered: Albany
Hit the Road Jack:
Get it While You Can: Suffolk (Waitlisted/Withdrawn)
Do I Ever Cross Your Mind:Quinnipiac

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=schlin96

Robespierre

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: More fun with EFC and Parent Contribution Questions!
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2006, 02:00:15 PM »
Most law schools say they have "limited" funds for need-based aid, and give their need money to a few really extreme and worthy cases.  But I once looked at Albany, and as I recall (could be wrong), they don't even PRETEND to give out aid based on need.  Their only finaid programs are merit money, loans, and a few scholarships to attract URMs.
Penn Law Class of '09

LubedPumpkin

• Happily flushing at my TTT.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - PhunkyKatie
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal
    • Email
Re: More fun with EFC and Parent Contribution Questions!
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2006, 11:27:23 PM »
Most law schools say they have "limited" funds for need-based aid, and give their need money to a few really extreme and worthy cases.  But I once looked at Albany, and as I recall (could be wrong), they don't even PRETEND to give out aid based on need.  Their only finaid programs are merit money, loans, and a few scholarships to attract URMs.

Yeah there's lots of URM love at Albany. Or poor/disadvantaged folk or whatever. Their 25% GPA is like 2.8 now. Yikes! Oh well. If you get in and you cut it, good for you!

Loans up the wazoo, I guess.
'pumpkin
----------------------
Signed, Sealed Delivered: Albany
Hit the Road Jack:
Get it While You Can: Suffolk (Waitlisted/Withdrawn)
Do I Ever Cross Your Mind:Quinnipiac

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=schlin96