Law School Discussion

Question about Status-Checking

Question about Status-Checking
« on: March 22, 2006, 07:36:08 PM »
So I have to send in a deposit by April 1st like the rest of us, but it's probably about my 4th choice, the rest are still pending.

So I really don't want to send this deposit since I am hoping that I will hit 1 of the 3, although I really want to keep the seat in case I get rejected from all 3.  Are you guys calling or e-mailing to check your statuses?  Is it bad to check, and would you e-mail or call?  I really want to see if I'm gonna be able to hear back before April 1st or not. 

By the way I didn't apply until January, couple in the middle of Jan. and one at the end of Jan.

Re: Question about Status-Checking
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2006, 08:44:02 PM »
I have several apps outstanding.  I applied in December.  The original email from one school telling me that my app was complete said I would hear a decision within 6 weeks.  Since my numbers are above the school's medians and it's been over 12 weeks and still no decision, I called on Monday and asked what was going on.  The woman didn't seem to mind that I had called.  I personally like to call and inquire, and not email.  The admissions people are probably sick of dealing with applicants at this point.  It's easier for me to be nice and effectively express my gratitude for their help over the phone.  I'd go ahead and contact your schools.  They shouldn't get mad if you just do it once.

And if you don't mind me asking...

Did any of them give you positive (i.e. a good timeframe) answer??

I contacted one school, but about another matter, and sort of dropped the question in, and they didn't seem to like the question much, and they didn't give me any straight answer (i.e. just wait)

Re: Question about Status-Checking
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2006, 09:18:17 AM »
I just called Harvard (10 minutes ago) and the gentleman who answered the phone was very nice about it.  My "two months" have only been up for 4 days but I was having a nervous breakdown.  He said that my file did not have a decision yet but that he "would be surprised if I didn't hear within a couple of weeks."  Which is of course excruxiating, but better than going home every day this week thinking I'm going to get the letter.   ???