Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: UVA Waitlist  (Read 14302 times)

chickiepea

• View Profile
Re: UVA Waitlist
« Reply #90 on: May 12, 2006, 03:53:35 PM »
Now I feel stupid - I addressed him as Dean Trujillo in a letter of continued interest.  He wrote me back a nice letter anyway, which is especially nice of him, considering that my numbers make me a marginal candidate.

Wow, I wrote a letter as well and haven't heard back.  When did you write, if you don't mind my asking?

Alamo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 12, 2006, 03:57:21 PM »
It was on 4/24.  I have a somewhat unique situation though; part of my letter dealt with my heart remaining in VA even though I've been classified as an out-of-state resident (I lived in VA for 23 years, but moved out for the last two to live with my wife).  His response simply indicated that he understood my frustration with being classified out-of-state, and that he hoped I didn't attribute it to his office, since the matter is not under his control. 

I don't view it as a sign that I'm any more or less likely to be admitted, but it was a nice gesture.
I must admit that I may have been infected with society's prejudices and predilections and attributed them to God . . . and that in years hence I may be seen as someone who was on the wrong side of history.  I don't believe such doubts make me a bad Christian.  I believe they make me human . . .

chickiepea

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 12, 2006, 04:02:30 PM »
Aww, that is sweet.  Who knows, being an out-of-state resident may turn out to be a blessing when it comes to getting in.  Best of luck to you!  Hope your wife isn't too concerned about the move!  :)

Pirate Pete

• LSD Obsessed
  • member Em.eritus.
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 12, 2006, 04:03:11 PM »
When I got the phone call, it was phrased in this manner as well, but I figured, why would they ask for a deposit if it wasn't an offer?  When I called back to say "yes," I double checked just to make sure and it was, in fact, an offer.

I'm sure it is an offer... but i'll still feel better once i get my acceptance letter confirmation email.

btw, i got the call tuesday, and they received my check thursday (sent via ups), and still no email.

When I sent the check, I sent a follow up email letting them know that I mailed the check and was excited to be attending.  They responded briefly right away, and then again when my check was received.  I express mailed it (next day) if this helps.
fair like the sun that shines in my soul when you're near, emily
Wow, Em is genius!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 12, 2006, 07:23:03 PM »
Just as a funny aside... I have this and a couple of other conversations monitored so I get emails when new posts are added.  So, when I get emails with "UVA Waitlist" in the subject heading, I get a little mini-heart attack each time.  Sigh.

In that case, the OP should change the title of the thread to "Good news from the University of Virginia School of Law."  Wouldn't that be a heart-breaker?

Yeah, I'm that sadistic.

Evo

• Sr. Citizen
  • Miami Skyline
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #95 on: May 13, 2006, 04:11:39 AM »
When I sent the check, I sent a follow up email letting them know that I mailed the check and was excited to be attending.  They responded briefly right away, and then again when my check was received.  I express mailed it (next day) if this helps.

Thanks!

Actually just got the confirmation email a couple hours ago.  SO STOKED to goto virginia next fall!  The only school i could see taking over uva is penn, but thats a long shot.
University of Virginia '09

Shabanu

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 13, 2006, 10:43:13 AM »
Does anyone know if the waitlist is expected to have further movement in July?  When was the second deposit deadline for admitted students?

I still have my heart set on UVA Law but I am on the in-state general waitlist (I shiver in dread each time I realize this).  I've been admitted into W&L Law but I am not sure if I should transfer after a year at W&L or take a year off and reapply to UVA Law (not sure what I would do with my year off, though, and I'd have to retake the beastly LSATs).  Any advice?  Thanks and best wishes to everyone.

Alamo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 13, 2006, 11:18:41 AM »
I received the following (excerpted) email from UVA on July 5 in response to sending them more information (about a recent promotion):

"The second round of confirmation deposits had to be postmarked by last
Friday, so with the July 4th holiday, I imagine that we will continue to
receive checks through the end of this week.  We should have a fairly clear
picture by then whether we will be in a position to make additional offers
from the waiting list."

So, I'd say if we don't hear anything within the next two weeks, it's unlikely.

Shabanu, I'm in a similar boat, although I'll have no problems staying at W&L for 3 years if it works out that way.  I'm also 27 and really want to finish law school by the time I'm 30, so for you the equation is likely different.  But I would not recommend going to a school if you won't be happy unless you can transfer.
I must admit that I may have been infected with society's prejudices and predilections and attributed them to God . . . and that in years hence I may be seen as someone who was on the wrong side of history.  I don't believe such doubts make me a bad Christian.  I believe they make me human . . .

mccapj2

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #98 on: July 13, 2006, 12:48:42 PM »
I got a call on Friday and called back on Monday with an offer to attend UVa.

I took in my deposit yesterday since I live in C-ville and called Notre Dame today to let them know.

Leshy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Ken is my idol.
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 13, 2006, 01:15:49 PM »
I got a call on Friday and called back on Monday with an offer to attend UVa.

I took in my deposit yesterday since I live in C-ville and called Notre Dame today to let them know.

Congratulations on getting accepted!  What did you do/send them in the time that you were waitlisted in order to get admitted?