Law School Discussion

Transferring - When is it worth it?

"V"

• Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici
    • View Profile
Transferring - When is it worth it?
« on: March 22, 2006, 06:59:05 PM »
I'm pretty sure I'm set where I'm going for good. I can't see a really high enough benefit to me in transferring unless some top 5 school offered me a scholarship to do it (which I'm not even sure they offer $$$ on transfers) so I'm pretty dead-set on my three years happily in Illinois.

However, I heard a lot about people considering transferring. There are a lot of downsides to a transfer - like not being able to get on law review as easily, new people, new place, possibly leaving behind a scholarship (higher debt), moving costs, etc. So I'm curious - when would transferring be WORTH it to everyone?

For me:

Would be worth it to move from a tier 4 to a tier 2. Not from a 4 to a three though.
Worth it for a tier 2 to a tier 1 jump.
Worth it for a inter-tier jump if it gets me out of a city I hate into one I enjoy (ie, moving from a tier 2 in murder-town to a a tier 2 in happy-town).
Worth it for a low/mid tier 1 to a t5.

That's about the only things I can think of that would make me go through the hassle and difficulty of transferring. I know some people are talking about transferring up just for ten or so schools in the ranking, even in the same tier - that seems crazy to me. Is it possible that some people might transfer their first two years, or do law schools only acccept 2L beginning transfers?

Transferring seems like waaaay too much hassle.

Re: Transferring - When is it worth it?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2006, 09:31:50 AM »
Transferring from a T2 to T1 doesnt seem like a worthwhile thing to me.  T2 into one of those top 15 or so schools, now that sounds like a possibility.  The thing to me is that if i do well enough to get into a T1 school, then im doing pretty damn well at my T2 school, which would by itself open up plenty of the doors already open to T1 grads, so its not really worth the hassle.  However, top 15 is a league of their own.  If i was certain I wanted to do biglaw or become a prof, id jump on the that ship, but if i wasnt considering such a profession, then id still prolly stay at the T2.  Top 15 sounds good and all, but if i just want to be a judge in a small town, it doesnt make much sense to go through the hassle of going to a top 15 school.  Itd almost be like im wasting the quality of the top 15 as i think many would view it as such.

Happy_Weasel

• Me and Gir, the happy weasel.
    • MSN Messenger - ominusdemon2@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Transferring - When is it worth it?
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2006, 10:56:30 AM »
Right now, I would be interested in transferring closer to where I want to work or transferring to a school that opens up new possibilities (Boalt, Stanford, Washington). What I hear is that High T3 to Low T1 are basically about the same (reigonal med law and mid-level public). Here, we can see that one is for when your make the honor roll (top quarter) and the other is when you make Order of the Coif (top decile).