Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

You graduated from your UG institution... what rank was it?

1-10
 24 (16.4%)
11-20
 15 (10.3%)
21-30
 20 (13.7%)
31-40
 7 (4.8%)
41-50
 12 (8.2%)
51-70
 15 (10.3%)
71-100
 22 (15.1%)
Foreign Institution (Top 10)
 2 (1.4%)
Foreign Institution (11-20)
 3 (2.1%)
Foreign Institution (21-30)
 0 (0%)
Foreign Institution (31-40)
 1 (0.7%)
Foreign Institution (41-50)
 0 (0%)
Second Tier School
 3 (2.1%)
Third Tier School
 13 (8.9%)
Fourth Tier School
 9 (6.2%)

Total Members Voted: 126

Author Topic: What UG School did you gradute from?  (Read 4392 times)

Slumdog Lovebutton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: What UG School did you gradute from?
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2006, 12:52:45 AM »
I'm graduating from a top five UG school with a mediocre LSAT and GPA, and I have definitely gotten into schools that I would NOT have gotten into my my numbers coming from a less-fantastic school.  I mean, it's not enough at most places to overtake my hard factors, but it's enough to make this season not a *total* bust.
* Columbia Law, Class of 2011 *

LSN

Goodfella Aaron

« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2006, 07:21:30 AM »
we may not be #1, but we can outdrink any of the other ivies.

I think you went to the same school as my mother. She consoled me after I was rejected from Yale by saying "that's OK, Yale men could never hold their liquor anyway." Said the same thing in 2000 after the D-Dubya-I scandal hit.

And Pancho, we shouldn't have an inferiority complex. Does UG degree matter at all any more? I doubt it except for networking purposes, but even then I'm glad I saved the 120K instead.

LVP

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2006, 07:40:52 AM »
So my UG university is in the 71-100 group, but I know that every university has stronger and weaker programs.  For example, the college I attended within my university is supposed to be very highly regarded nationally.  (Anecdote: a new transfer to the college looked sadly at the B- on his paper and was heard to remark, "This would have been an A back at Harvard.")  Anyway, how much do you think that is taken into account?  If you attend a top 10 program at a 70+ ranked university, or conversely, I don't know if any of the ivies have any lousy programs (probably not...) - is that considered?
Pizza is the reward, death is the risk.

#

likewise

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2006, 08:35:59 AM »
Yo, can we add third and fourth tier to the list so "some of us" don't feel slighted.

;)

Slumdog Lovebutton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2006, 08:37:20 AM »
we may not be #1, but we can outdrink any of the other ivies.

I think you went to the same school as my mother. She consoled me after I was rejected from Yale by saying "that's OK, Yale men could never hold their liquor anyway." Said the same thing in 2000 after the D-Dubya-I scandal hit.

Heh. That may be true, but we can out-naked you guys any day. (http://www.yaleherald.com/article.php?Article=4565)

Of course, we've got secret society tap night coming up, which will be a fiesta of alcohol poisoning and silly costumes...
* Columbia Law, Class of 2011 *

LSN

HippieLawChick

• Sr. Citizen
  • Current 2L
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2006, 09:25:03 AM »
I went to a fourth tier school.  Can you add that to your poll? 

HippieLawChick

• Sr. Citizen
  • Current 2L
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2006, 09:28:36 AM »
My family is such white trash and I went to such a crappy urban high school that I never even considered college rankings.  When I was a kid, I knew that places like Harvard were considered "good" schools but that's about it. 

Unbelievable, but true!

I am making quite a jump Fourth Tier Undergrad to First Tier Law School.  Yea me!

maka nani

• LSD Obsessed
    • AOL Instant Messenger - redsox1079
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2006, 09:29:23 AM »
I went to a fourth tier school.  Can you add that to your poll? 

i know...cmafb

mine's third of fourth...i don't really pay attention/care

My family is such white trash and I went to such a crappy urban high school that I never even considered college rankings.  When I was a kid, I knew that places like Harvard were considered "good" schools but that's about it. 

Unbelievable, but true!

I am making quite a jump Fourth Tier Undergrad to First Tier Law School.  Yea me!

oh my me too...i didn't know you could prepare for the SAT, get financial aid etc.  No one in my HS cared about college.   ::)

i didnt bother applying anywhere but my local state UG because i didn't realize you could get financial aid...i thought it would be impossible for me to go somewhere I wanted to go like Emerson, BC...because my parents' didn't have any money to pay for it...whatever.  ahhh looking back what a $hitty high school  :-\
DON'T GO TO LAW SCHOOL YOU DUMB FUCKS.

HippieLawChick

• Sr. Citizen
  • Current 2L
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2006, 09:32:12 AM »
((((maka nani)))

At least someone here feels my pain.  This was the first competitive admissions process I have ever done.

I took the ACT when I was 18 on a dare.  When I got a 90th percentile score, my old high school called me and finally asked why I wasn't in college.  (It was a trade school.  Most of the students were preparing for careers as plumbers and carpenters.  They didn't offer any AP classes and only one foreign language - German!)

maka nani

• LSD Obsessed
    • AOL Instant Messenger - redsox1079
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2006, 09:35:28 AM »
i do...definitely!

I took the SAT - I think it was fall of my junior year....I was just starting to take Geometry at my HS...so I didn't do hot on the math portion but i killed the verbal....no one knew what to do with my good scores ...parents didnt go to college so it was all new....geez i need to let this all go  :D bitter party of one
DON'T GO TO LAW SCHOOL YOU DUMB FUCKS.