Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

You graduated from your UG institution... what rank was it?

1-10
 24 (16.4%)
11-20
 15 (10.3%)
21-30
 20 (13.7%)
31-40
 7 (4.8%)
41-50
 12 (8.2%)
51-70
 15 (10.3%)
71-100
 22 (15.1%)
Foreign Institution (Top 10)
 2 (1.4%)
Foreign Institution (11-20)
 3 (2.1%)
Foreign Institution (21-30)
 0 (0%)
Foreign Institution (31-40)
 1 (0.7%)
Foreign Institution (41-50)
 0 (0%)
Second Tier School
 3 (2.1%)
Third Tier School
 13 (8.9%)
Fourth Tier School
 9 (6.2%)

Total Members Voted: 126

Author Topic: What UG School did you gradute from?  (Read 4472 times)

NYCK

• LSD's Number One Overachiever
    • View Profile
    • Email
What UG School did you gradute from?
« on: March 22, 2006, 06:57:06 PM »
Attention soon-to-be law students:

What UG school did you graduate from?  How important is the rank of UG institutions in the eye of law schools?  GPA, is clearly important, but does it really matter where you graduate from?

EDIT:  What Law School are you going to now-or plan on attending coming from your respective UG institution?

John Galt

Re: What UG School did you gradute from?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2006, 06:58:57 PM »
Not as much as your LSAT/GPA matters. Ugrad institution is likely to be given no weight. If you go to a top school HYPSC or something, you might get a boost in admissions.

NYCK

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2006, 07:00:51 PM »
What Ugrad did you attend?

John Galt

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2006, 07:02:05 PM »
What Ugrad did you attend?

a school ranked 71-100 in US News.

juliemccoy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Treat??
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2006, 07:06:48 PM »
I attended the University of Central Florida. A Florida public university, we are right behind UF in the number of national merit finalists attending. Size-wise, we are the 7th largest school in the nation by enrollment. Awesome Greek Life, SGA, fabulous weather, great business school and nationally recongnized for computer science and engineering programs. Also, great opportunities to intern yearround as we are located in Orlando, Florida. This past season, our football team went to its first bowl game-- Daunte Culpepper is a graduate. Despite being a Tier 3, our school has turned out law students at Harvard, Cornell and Emory, among many others, as well as students in grad programs on every tier.

Work hard, do well and take some risks-- good luck! I think your grades and LSAT matter the most. Some schools may split hairs over applicants with identical numbers, and  possibly the one who went to an Ivy will have his 4.0/180 considered over the state school 4.0/180.

But you just have to do the best you can with what God gave you. You can still live a rich and useful life.

When I graduated, I took a job with a television network. A co-worked of mine started at the same time. He graduated U of So Cal. I graduated from a TTT UG. We were both making the same money and then I got promoted first. So the school really didn't matter much -- it was the experience and hard work that was recognized.
Vanderbilt 2010

krumanadi

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2006, 07:11:32 PM »
Community College then transferred to St. Johns (a TTT UG)

Not that I am amazing or anything, but I think I did OK for myself this cycle.  Like I told you NYCK on the other thread, dont worry about which school, just get good grades.

JaimeNina

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2006, 07:20:02 PM »
Most schools say it doesn't matter much, and I don't think that being from an elite school will get you in, nor will being from an unknown school keep you out.

Having said that, I got the Chicago admissions binder and it included the current students facebook. I was astounded at the overwhelming % of Chicago students who went to a "name" school. It was probably 80%. While they didn't all go to HYP, there was a lot of represenation from schools like Notre Dame, Michigan, Wellesly, Northwestern, Emory, Berkeley, etc. I seriously doubt that that was a coincidence. 

krumanadi

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2006, 07:40:26 PM »
Most schools say it doesn't matter much, and I don't think that being from an elite school will get you in, nor will being from an unknown school keep you out.

Having said that, I got the Chicago admissions binder and it included the current students facebook. I was astounded at the overwhelming % of Chicago students who went to a "name" school. It was probably 80%. While they didn't all go to HYP, there was a lot of represenation from schools like Notre Dame, Michigan, Wellesly, Northwestern, Emory, Berkeley, etc. I seriously doubt that that was a coincidence. 

Well i'd imagine at Chicago they have some of the best minds/students in the country.  With that said, im sure a majority of them have always been good minds/students and went to better UG's.

NYCK

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2006, 07:46:59 PM »
Okay; got it.

Does it pay off to study for the LSAT early?  Is it possible that the LSAT format will change, just like the SATs did?

John Galt

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2006, 07:54:49 PM »
71-100 here.  High five, Galt :D!

51-70 here. Dummy! ;)

Heyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy yy.... ;)

We're better than Daveman (Don't ban me dave! ;) )

How's daria anyways these days?