Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Is it ok to ask a prof to write a general LOR? Or is that a bad idea?  (Read 948 times)

TheNewGuy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Attending law school is definitely my first choice, but if I don't get into any schools, I've decided that it may be a good idea to get my masters, then re-apply the following year. Would it be ok to ask my profs. for a general letter of recommendation...not really law school or grad school specific?? I'm afraid to do this though, because I don't want them to think I am unsure about what I want to do and possibly give me a bad rec.

mlrussak

• View Profile
Re: Is it ok to ask a prof to write a general LOR? Or is that a bad idea?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2004, 08:17:20 PM »
if your serious about attending law school, why have the admissions council take you anything but seriously?  If its truely your first choice after undergrad work, make the effort and sell yourself as best as possible.

lexylit

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2004, 08:25:01 PM »
rotten idea. get two sets of recs if you're applying to two kinds of grad school, IMO.

i know plenty of people who applied to med school and law school simultaneously, or MSWs and MAs, or whatever, but i would have someone write a law school rec and someone else write the other. if you want to use the same pople, either explain the situation and ask for two letters, OR make use of career services if possible and have someone make you a composite letter.

darren

• Sr. Citizen
  • Nader / Camejo 2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2004, 08:53:44 PM »
What if you're applying to do a joint degree program (i.e. JD/MBA, JD/MA, etc.)?  Would it be better to have separate letters for each program, or the same letters?  In some cases I'll probably apply to joint degree programs, but in others I'll just be applying to do a JD.  So it'd be pretty hard for the letters to address both of these situations.
GPA - 3.55 Overall, 3.75 Last 3 Years
LSAT - 169,171 on Timed Practice Tests