Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How-to become a Successful Attorney...  (Read 20516 times)

shaz

• Sr. Citizen
  • University of Toledo Class of 2009
    • View Profile
Re: How-to become a Successful Attorney...
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2006, 01:08:41 AM »
why do i like this kid so much?  come back nyck, come back.  just kidding.  nyck you're going to be just fine.  heed this free advice that's been given to you and remember to pay it forward someday.  one day we'll all be charging by the hour for our council. 
losin' sleep, gainin' knowledge.

thorc954

« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2006, 12:05:07 AM »
Hey man, I went to an eh undergrad, pulled a 3.81 in math, got a 161(not good) on my lsats and will be attending GW(#319) next year. Go to a good school. The caliber doesnt matter unless you want to move from like UVA undergrad to UVA law. The only schools that matter besides one with a law school you are considering are the ivies. The best bet is to take something hard that you enjoy and excell. It is all about the time you put into it. Enjoy college though. Most schools dont want or care about a 4.0. It really just doesnt matter. Anything over a 3.75 is golden. Join clubs. Party it up. Not to much. I stuck to twice a week for most of college. Study your ass off during for the lsats. Work a part time job, meet people, date often, and enjoy being young. Get the work experience, volunteer experience, and resume fillers John Gault was talking about. Where you go now doesnt matter. Ive had friend that transferred from community college to NYU after a year or two. Do whatever is the cheapest. NYU will take a lot of transfers. If you think it will give you the edge, take it. If not, do what I did and save the money by taking scholarships at less schools and sticking it out.  Enjoy the four years you have, but do well at everything you do. Dont half ass anything.

Einstein

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2006, 04:54:51 PM »
for real :)
Practice LSAT: 147(d), 150, 151,143,152, 156,161,163,161,160,157,163,158,162

University of San Diego School of Law!

NatalieMarie18

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2011, 12:54:09 AM »
NYCK i am in the same exact predicament you were in 5 years ago, if you still look at this website please let me know how you made out, i would love to know the outcome.

NYCK

• LSD's Number One Overachiever
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2012, 11:59:08 PM »
"It has been a while" is a clear understatement. I am so grateful for this community. Thank you everyone who took the time to respond to a panicked High School student. Believe it or not, you all were the biggest positive influence in my life. Through your experience, I was given very helpful guidance and much needed hope to navigate myself out of my rut.
                             -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Let me cut the suspense. I wish I could tell you that I am currently attending Harvard Law School, but I have yet to enter its hallowed halls. However, I am well on my way. I have encountered my share of setbacks and my recent graduation with a BA in Economics solidifies the conquest of said setbacks.

My GPA is respectable, considering that I made a huge 180 degree change in performance midway into my collegiate career. Transferring to a different undergraduate institution, coupled with a leave of absence for a semester to travel and volunteer, were among most influential experiences that helped shaped me to who I am today. To illustrate the radical change, having a 2.1-2.5 semester GPA was commonplace. Then, out of the blue, I began getting 3.6-3.8 semesters. I also had a larger course load, and of course it was higher level courses. It's completely ironic. In addition to grade performance, I have also developed into a leader on campus. I participated in several organizations and sports. I am big into Rugby and soccer. I played both sports religiously!

I am now studying for the GMAT, then I will begin my studies for the LSAT. My current plan is to pursue the JD/MBA simultaneously. But before I go back to school, I would like to get some work experience first.

Reason 1: Most top MBA programs require work experience anyway.
Reason 2: I need to compensate for my lackluster GPA.
Reason 3: I want to learn more about the legal field before paying ridiculous amounts of money for a JD!

I have several interviews coming up for some BigLaw (ranked amongst the top 10 in the US) firms for the Legal Assistant position. It is a two year program for recent college graduates that are considering law school.

Feel free to reach out to me if have any questions, or if you would like to catch up (to all the older members who knew me on the forum when I was back in HS).

I will keep this thread updated with my progress.

SoCalLawGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2012, 03:40:20 AM »
Well, have you made any progress lately? I read the entire thread, even if it's old,  and it seems you really stepped up and did something good for yourself. Congratulations!

NYCK

• LSD's Number One Overachiever
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2013, 08:14:33 PM »
Hey SoCalLawGuy. Thanks for interest. This will be a quick write up, but I strive to write a bit more in the coming months.

I have some good news. I am currently attending a top five business school, but I have not touched my LSATs yet. It seems like a big investment, and I am not entirely certain about making a commitment just yet. Nonetheless, I am extremely interested in law; in particular I am interested about the intersection of business and law.

If not law, I am strongly considering management consulting.