Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How-to become a Successful Attorney...  (Read 20204 times)

juliemccoy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Treat??
    • View Profile
Re: How-to become a Successful Attorney...
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2006, 06:53:36 PM »

I'm in a frat and I did well for myself. I think it made me more disciplined, in fact. Other posters on this board who got into T14s were in them too, as are many of the guys I meet at admitted student days. Don't not join because you're afraid it'll harm your grades. It only will if you let it.

Aaron, I didn't mean to insult you. Background: I am a former international director for my sorority. I am extremely pro-Greek and advise women every year about sorority recruitment processes.

But given this fellow's history in high school, it seems that if he wants to straighten himself out, he needs to throw himself into academia for a couple of semesters before taking on the time committment and temptations of Greek Life. I'd say he is a likely joiner and could be an asset, but with his admitted poor habits in HS, pledging early on could hurt him academically, as it seems he hasn't learned how to prioritize yet. It  will harm your grades if you let it, but the OP needs some time to develop some good habits that will make him a fraternity asset and keep him on his path.

And NYCK, the poster was referring to developing a relationship with professors so they will write you letters of recommendation for law school and for undergrad scholarships. This means doing well in their classes, visiting them during office hours to talk about the class and your career goals, and maybe even offering to help them with a research project that they may be working on.
Vanderbilt 2010

Goodfella Aaron

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2006, 06:57:48 PM »
I'm in a frat and I did well for myself. I think it made me more disciplined, in fact. Other posters on this board who got into T14s were in them too, as are many of the guys I meet at admitted student days. Don't not join because you're afraid it'll harm your grades. It only will if you let it.

Aaron, I didn't mean to insult you. Background: I am a former international director for my sorority. I am extremely pro-Greek and advise women every year about sorority recruitment processes.

But given this fellow's history in high school, it seems that if he wants to straighten himself out, he needs to throw himself into academia for a couple of semesters before taking on the time committment and temptations of Greek Life. I'd say he is a likely joiner and could be an asset, but with his admitted poor habits in HS, pledging early on could hurt him academically, as it seems he hasn't learned how to prioritize yet. It  will harm your grades if you let it, but the OP needs some time to develop some good habits that will make him a fraternity asset and keep him on his path.
[/quote]

Nah, you didn't insult me. Frankly, I think all frats except for my own suck anyway. I guess you're right, maybe hold off for a year before joining if you really want to join one so you can get into a rhythm. Pledging instilled in me a sense of discipline that I carried into my studies and a lot of people I've talked to have done the same, but there's also the brother whose nickname is 0.0...pretty self-explanatory.

NYCK

• LSD's Number One Overachiever
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2006, 07:20:21 PM »
Okay, I know what to do.   :)

Before graduating UG, I vow that you all will see "ACCEPTED" to all the Law Schools listed in my lawschoolnumbers profile (linked in my signature).

I really, really appreciate your help.

I'm going to take my academia seriously by starting to make a schedule to instill a sense of priority.

I'll use my last months in High School to experiment with various study methods... i screwed up HS anyway so I might as well make the best of it.   ;D

See you around in the forums.

I'm glad I found this forum to help me vent and get my priorities straight.  I will become one of the best attorneys, ever.

EDIT:  If anyone has additional advice, please post it.  I set this thread to notify me in an event that you respond with helpful advice.  I'm all ears.

sje55

• AOL Instant Messenger - Sarah5500
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2006, 11:11:11 PM »
Hi-

I didn't read all of the posts, so I apologize if I repeat something...here is my advice.  You don't have to go to the best college in order to get into a top law school.  What you need is a solid GPA/LSAT and something that makes you stand out.  In my case, I went abroad for a year - spent 4 months in DC (away from my home university in Boston) then Oxford for 6 months...however, that is not the only option.  Play a varsity sport and become captain, start a charitable drive, secure a decent part time job where you have a position of some status.  Basically, do something to get noticed!!

Other than that, make sure that you're committed to academics.  You don't have to be a die-hard academic, I'm definitely not.  What you need is to find a subject that interests you and take many courses in that discipline.  If you like what you're doing in college, and you committed to putting in the work, you'll do well.  It'll come naturally, I promise.

Best of luck, I'm sure you'll do great!  Maybe I'll see you at GULC in a few years =)

The Professor of Parody

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2006, 12:23:55 AM »
Yeah, I don't think that UG prestige is so important for LS admissions (outside of HYPetc or going to the same school for UG/LS). Work on having as perfect a GPA as you can, and pick one or two activities or pursuits that you can excel in, demonstrate leadership, and cull two or three stellar LORs from professors. I'd also suggest taking a philosophy class or two (especially those dealing directly with logic, or analytic philosophy at the least) or trying debate out for a while (see if there's intramural debate if you don't want to join the team). Those can help a lot when it comes time to take the LSAT.

NYCK

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2006, 11:51:22 PM »
This is only half my problem.  I will create a thread encompossing all my general, yet IMPORTANT, questions.  I will post the link to that thread in my signature.  Please help me out.

PM me if you have any response to this thread, before my ultimate thread is posted.  I am closing this.

NYCK

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2006, 12:05:40 AM »
This may be a bit random:  I just realized that you guys are completely right.  I shouldn't stress about this now... just do well in UG and have fun.  I just had an epiphany.

I'll see you in a few years.  Don't miss me, too much.   :-*

Haha... i'll drop by every now and then.   ;)

juliemccoy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Treat??
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2006, 09:59:09 AM »
Good for you! Good luck!

Remember, college isn't the culmination of your years in high school-- it is the begining of your adult life. So push yourself and challenge yourself-- try out a course you never would have thought you'd take, get involved on campus and remember that your number one reason for being in college is to graduate-- so take your classes seriously! If you're going on to a grad program, grades and activities will be important, so remember that all actions have consequences-- some good and some bad. Don't be afraid to make a mistake or to fail, but don't go out looking for trouble, either!

We expect to hear great things from you!
Vanderbilt 2010

ElectricalStorm

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2006, 10:46:48 AM »
If you are really worried about your UG institution, then transfer. I screwed around in one subject in HS and paid the price by having to attend my backup school. That institution happened to have a high percentage of commuter students, so it was easier to get a solid GPA, show ambition, get involved, and rise to top. I took that and then transferred to a top level institution. Just make sure that the ambition follows you to the new school and that you just don't rest on your laurels, or the reputation of your new school won't mean a thing.
UT 1L

! B L U E WAR R I O R..!

• LSD Obsessed
  • "make a friend who was once a stranger" br.war.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2006, 12:45:24 AM »
Hi-

I didn't read all of the posts, so I apologize if I repeat something...here is my advice.  You don't have to go to the best college in order to get into a top law school.  What you need is a solid GPA/LSAT and something that makes you stand out.  In my case, I went abroad for a year - spent 4 months in DC (away from my home university in Boston) then Oxford for 6 months...however, that is not the only option.  Play a varsity sport and become captain, start a charitable drive, secure a decent part time job where you have a position of some status.  Basically, do something to get noticed!!

Other than that, make sure that you're committed to academics.  You don't have to be a die-hard academic, I'm definitely not.  What you need is to find a subject that interests you and take many courses in that discipline.  If you like what you're doing in college, and you committed to putting in the work, you'll do well.  It'll come naturally, I promise.

Best of luck, I'm sure you'll do great!  Maybe I'll see you at GULC in a few years =)

best of luck to you...god bless.
If you prick us, do we not bleed?  
  if you tickle us, do we not laugh? if you poison  
  us, do we not die? and if you wrong us, shall we not  
  revenge? m.of v. w.shaka                                             speare