Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Becoming a Successful Lawyer.  (Read 1304 times)

NYCK

• LSD's Number One Overachiever
    • View Profile
    • Email
Becoming a Successful Lawyer.
« on: March 22, 2006, 04:53:25 PM »
I am a High School Senior (Class of '06); I am in need of your help.  Please do not click "back" on your web browser, and here me out.  This is not another "help me get into law school" thread--it's more than that.

I am sure many High School students, UG students and LS students can learn from this.

A little information about me:

I am passionate about law; I love it.  I'm crazy about it. 

Ideally, I would like to get into a top 30 UG institution and then attend a T-15 Law School (preferably:  Harvard, Columbia, or N.Y.U.).  All of us wish this idealistic dream to become a reality.  But I fear I am far, far away from that goal.  Ever night, I go to bed ashamed that it may be unrealistic.  I'm sick of it; I want to change.  I want to change my fate, so to speak.  I want to become the best student and graduate with honors from the collegiate level, and get into the TOP law firm and become the best god damn lawyer in the country.

I'm not stupid.  I'm very driven, but I--quite frankly--screwed up throughout High School.  I read often, do research, and read case law on my spare time.  I never really bothered with homework and the like.  High School bored me.  As a result of failing to take High School seriously, I lost my academic work ethic.  It's hard for me to even get into the habit of studying, unless the subject interests me.

I only did extremely well in my Constitution Law class.  No, I'm not failing anything, but my grades are not strong.  It's not strong enough to get into a good UG.  I fear I'm falling onto the wrong path.

I need your help to get back on the right direction.

My, current, GPA is a 3.4 or 3.5, I think.  On a 100 point scale, my overall average is 87.89.  My SATs are low too; I didn't study or anything.  640 verbal/590 math/500 writing

I participated, and did very well, in my school's Moot Court competition and Mock Trial competition.  In fact, I was the leading council and the coach.  I even interned at a Law Firm, based in New York City (in City Hall) since Freshman year.

To sum it up:

I really screwed up in High School.  My average freshman year was in the high 70s, but I pulled out of that hole.  But, I still screwed up.  I could of done so much better, thereby exposing myself to better UG institutions.

I feel powerless and, a bit, hopeless.  I want to become one of the best in the field.  What must I do?

I would really, really appreciate your assistance.  I'm in a pickle...

Thanks,

Kyle

P.S.

Furthermore, I understand my years as a High Schooler is over.  So there really is nothing I can do with my HS GPA or my SAT score.  That's behind me now, unfortunately.  Time cannot be manipulated; but, what can I do now?  What must I do now while I hope to get into New York University, Northwestern University, and University of Chicago for UG?  Regardless if I get in or not, what can I do to better prepare myself?

How can I change my ways to become the best student; the best attorney; and socially adept?

--Please address all my issues--

aerynn

• Sr. Citizen
  • Wait, what?
    • View Profile
    • http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=aerynn
    • Email
Re: Becoming a Successful Lawyer.
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2006, 05:09:48 PM »
Cultivate a really drive to do well at boring tasks.  If I have one piece of advice that will carry you to the top, that would be it. Anyone can do well at stuff they love.  Succeeding when you hate it is the trick to being at the top.
Here's how it went for me for Fall 2006 admission:
168/3.67
In: Emory($$), UGA ($), W&M ($$), GW($)
Waitlisted:American(W), UVA (W)
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=aerynn

Goodfella Aaron

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2006, 05:25:51 PM »
I was a high school screwup too and I've gotten into 5 T15s (including your goal of Northwestern) so the good news is there is hope. I was a lot like you, I didn't do my homework a lot and a lot of subjects bored the hell out of me. Part of what helped me out is there is very little busywork once you get into college, especially once you get past intro-level courses. And you'll be taking mostly courses you're interested in. Also, the college you go to doesn't seem to matter much in terms of acceptance. Sure, Ivy Leaguers get a bit of a numbers boost but I saw one guy who started out at community college and got into Yale, the best school in the country. There's a thread somewhere around here called What Does Your UG/LS School Combo Say About You and you can see tons of people who went to crummy/subpar schools UG (I go to a school that's barely in the second tier) that got into places like the ones you list.

I think that people mature at different rates. As a college freshman I was probably as mature as a high school freshman, but I'd like to think that since then I've caught up with my age bracket.

Also, go into college with an open mind and be prepared to change your goal. You could find something you like more than the law and if you do go with it. And have a lot of fun in college. It wasn't the best four years of my life, but it'll probably be the most fun four years. Take course that interest you, those will be the ones where you get the best grades. And I think college manages to socialize most people pretty well, but there are a lot of different ways to socialize yourself.

NYCK

• LSD's Number One Overachiever
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2006, 05:33:21 PM »
If I was a younger version of yourself, and you went back in time, what would you tell me to benefit yourself today, and in the future?

Let the advice range from academic work to preparing for a legal career.  I want to be valuable for the firm, so valuable I would be a top choice for partner.  I, really, want to become the best in anything I pursue.  But, I don't know how to become the best.  I know it's hard work, but hard work doing what?

What must I do?

Please answer this question in the thread titled:  "How-to become a successful attorney."

Click here to jump to the thread:

http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/prelaw/index.php/topic,57499.0.html