Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Couple Kicked off Flight Because of Sexual T-Shirt  (Read 3364 times)

MaroonOut2005

• Sr. Citizen
  • Attending: Notre Dame
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Couple Kicked off Flight Because of Sexual T-Shirt
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2004, 12:21:33 PM »
Contractual obligations are completely different.  There are very few ways you can cancel a contract, most have to do with one party presenting blatant lies that change the actual worth of a business investment.  Its hard to get a Court to rule for canceling a contract, and none will bail you out simply because you made a stupid deal.  Likewise, the courts will not allow you to cancel a contract for an external reason that doesn't effect the worth of the investment, such as the political views of the contractor. 

Thanks and Gig 'Em,
Jason

Munkeysgrrl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2004, 12:28:23 PM »
It is quite clear.  The airline's website states that "someone who is 'clothed in a manner that would cause discomfort or offense to other passengers' can be removed from a flight."  I would definitely be uncomfortable and offended.
Loyola LA Here I Come!!

Munkeysgrrl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2004, 12:29:08 PM »
Nonetheless, I'm amazed by people who read that account and are absolutely convinced that only racial bigotry can explain the fears of the other passengers.

Well stated, Bman.
Loyola LA Here I Come!!

jgruber

« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2004, 12:35:45 PM »
So I could hide in the ticketing agreement that I can cancel your ticket without refund if I find any political statement you make offensive. 

Interesting.

Munkeysgrrl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2004, 12:39:16 PM »
So I could hide in the ticketing agreement that I can cancel your ticket without refund if I find any political statement you make offensive. 

Interesting.

A naked chick is a political statement?
Loyola LA Here I Come!!

MaroonOut2005

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2004, 12:40:19 PM »
The people got a complete refund.  I think its a completely different case if the person has already paid, you refuse service and then refuse to give them a refund.

Thanks and Gig 'Em,
Jason

Interesting.

jgruber

« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2004, 12:41:47 PM »
Yes and no.  But I was talking about a hypothetical situation where I kick some one off a flight because they said something against Bush.

Maroon, if I put it in the contract, then I can deny a refund.

Interesting.

A naked chick is a political statement?

MaroonOut2005

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2004, 12:44:48 PM »
There is an area of law that deals with this type of transactional question... I'm not sure of the name.  However, if I'm not mistaken, you can't place into a contract that you can cancel the contract for any reason.  The only reason you can cancel a contract is because of a lie or because the other party refused to work.

Thanks and Gig 'Em,
Jason

jgruber

« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2004, 01:01:26 PM »
You're contradicting yourself.  You said the airline could cancel the contract because of the offensive t shirt.

Set aside the question of the refund.  I can kick you off my flight and refund your money if the contract says I can do it because of something you say.

There is an area of law that deals with this type of transactional question... I'm not sure of the name.  However, if I'm not mistaken, you can't place into a contract that you can cancel the contract for any reason.  The only reason you can cancel a contract is because of a lie or because the other party refused to work.

Thanks and Gig 'Em,
Jason

Floatation Device?

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2004, 07:58:47 PM »
I am far less troubled by someone wearing a t-shirt with something sexually explicit on it than I am by the following story:

http://www.womenswallstreet.com/WWS/article_landing.aspx?titleid=1&articleid=711

I would rather have a pervert than 14 syrians behaving strangely.

Holy crap!  I read that article.  I can not envision how terrified I would have been on that plane.  I say any large group of individuals acting weird on a plane like that would freak me out!