Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Couple Kicked off Flight Because of Sexual T-Shirt  (Read 3404 times)

Bman

Couple Kicked off Flight Because of Sexual T-Shirt
« on: August 01, 2004, 05:56:25 PM »
I was just wondering what you guys thought of this story.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/content/gen/ap/FL_Improper_Attire.html

My opinion: The Airline acted properly. The first amendment does not forbid companies from taking measures to ensure a civilized environment on their property. And he seems like a lowlife for refusing to turn his T-Shirt inside out. But this is just a tentative opinion. What do you guys think?

superiorlobe

Re: Couple Kicked off Flight Because of Sexual T-Shirt
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2004, 08:15:35 PM »
The airline acted properly.  This case is a cinch.

Floatation Device?

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2004, 08:53:26 PM »
O.K. just playing the Devil's advocate... Obviously the guy wearing the inappropriate shirt is a huge piece of crap.  However, I wonder if the airlines have any sort of clause about inappropriate attire like most food establishments do.  If not, I don't see how they can kick someone off a flight because someone is not particularly fond of a passengers shirt.  Just throwing that out there.

Bman

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2004, 10:07:45 PM »
Fair point flotation device. it might be advisable for the airlines to state up front that they reserve the right to refuse service to anyone who displays inappropriate attire but there is no legal reason why they are required to do that. Secondly, I think this argument is more powerful if the passengers had no means of changing their attire once they found out. But they did, of course, by merely turning it inside out.

The reason I put up this topic is because several members of this board have, in the past, taken an absolutist view of free speech issues. Not only must the government not inhibit the exercise of speech (which is all the first amendment requires) but society is harmed when there is any repercussions to speech, even if it's a private company making reasoned judgements about what is and is not appropriate. I put this down because I wanted to see how this example would be fit into that framework.

scubasteve

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2004, 11:20:50 PM »
I am far less troubled by someone wearing a t-shirt with something sexually explicit on it than I am by the following story:

http://www.womenswallstreet.com/WWS/article_landing.aspx?titleid=1&articleid=711

I would rather have a pervert than 14 syrians behaving strangely.

mukhia

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2004, 11:21:22 PM »
Well, if a couple of pissed of mothers can get a guy's MILF license plate changed, then why can't the airline ask a passenger to turn his t-shirt inside out?  And MILF isn't even as blatant as a bare breast.  

mukhia

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2004, 11:22:23 PM »
I am far less troubled by someone wearing a t-shirt with something sexually explicit on it than I am by the following story:

http://www.womenswallstreet.com/WWS/article_landing.aspx?titleid=1&articleid=711

I would rather have a pervert than 14 syrians behaving strangely.

Hey - I posted this story under Terror in the Skies - you can read LSDers responses to it there also.

Bman

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2004, 11:22:44 PM »
Yeah. It appears that they were musicians, not terrorists, though. Nonetheless, I'm amazed by people who read that account and are absolutely convinced that only racial bigotry can explain the fears of the other passengers.

jgruber

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2004, 11:15:13 AM »
Can the airline define exactly what is and is not appropriate? 

Have they?

Would they kick me off if I wore a F*CK BUSH or F*CK KERRY T-shirt?

mukhia

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2004, 11:20:43 AM »
As long as they kick you off for the "F" part and not the Bush or Kerry, it should be okay right?  Maybe they should have the passengers vote on it.