Law School Discussion

CLEO

CLEO
« on: March 21, 2006, 10:23:19 PM »
Anyone have any ifo about it?
Is anyone here in it?
What are some advantages, of the program?

Just overall looking for some info about the program
thanks

shaz

• University of Toledo Class of 2009
    • View Profile
Re: CLEO
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2006, 10:49:48 PM »
cleo is an acronym for the council on legal education opportunity.  it used to be backed financially by the aba.  i think it's solo now.  the program is for minorities and those who have been adversely impacted by socio-economics.  cleo has a few programs that you might want to look into.  the one i have applied for is the six week summer institute. this program attempts to place individuals whose numbers would generally make it hard for them to gain admission into law school.  in your app you will designate 8 schools that the program will try to help you gain admission to.  i applied, but have yet to hear back as to my acceptance.  i am hoping that the program can help me to gain admission to one of my reaches. 

in addition to helping you gain admission the six week program also attempts to prepare you for your first year of law school.  my goal is to graduate from the best school that i can.  i would like to be able to teach one day.  i figure that if the program can't place me into one of my reaches, it might give me the foundation for a successful 1L year leading to me being accepted as a transfer.

check out the site:

cleoscholars.com

faith2005

Re: CLEO
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2006, 02:44:49 PM »
hey, i am a cleo "student", but i didn't do the six week program, just the weekend one. it seems to be really good for networking opportunities and things of that nature. i didn't gain that much from the academic stuff, mostly b/c after starting school i was just so focused on reading and stuff, i forgot to even look back at the materials from cleo. i also met some cool people at cleo, who i am actually still in touch with. i have a friend who applied and was waitlisted at a tier 1 school. they told her if she did the six week program they'd take a second look at her application, so in terms of admissions i think it could help. the problem is, there are only a few people who can afford to take 6 weeks off of work in order to study, even if its pretty inexpensive...there are scholarship opportunities as well. definitely check it out.