Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Is this a no brainer?  (Read 798 times)

Sepatown

• View Profile
Is this a no brainer?
« on: March 22, 2006, 12:12:43 AM »
Hello all,

I am new to this board, and new to the whole online discussion forum process but I find this site to be quite informative and have registered. As a Fall '06 1L, it is coming down to decision time. I just want to hear some opinions on my choices, if you feel like it.

Stetson-no money offered. Would be about 30k/yr in tuition and fees. But I absolutely love the school and the area.

Akron-full scholarship! I must maintain a 3.3. Even if I don't, I will be an Ohio resident after 12 months so I am looking at 14k/yr in tuition in fees for only 2 years. The irony is that I just applied because it was free, but now they are my top choice.

St.Thomas Miami-14k/yr scholarship if I stay in the top 25%. i haven't heard many good reviews of this school.

Debt scares the hell out of me, so Stetson is almost out of the picture, unfortunately. I believe I can get the same caliber job graduating from Akron as I could from Stetson. Does anyone agree? Also, I am looking to become a public defender and, after doing research in my home county, I have discovered that the PD's come from all over the country. The few I have talked to feel that they got their job due to extracurricular activities and not school ranking.

Also, I may change my mind and go for the big money jobs. After reading this site, Tier 3 does not seem to place well in 100k+ jobs. Also, I do not care where I live, particularly so...Akron, right?

BoredAtWork2112

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Is this a no brainer?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2006, 12:54:35 AM »
What is your home country?

Sepatown

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2006, 10:03:16 AM »

It says home "county." A county in Florida.

Sepatown

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2006, 11:16:44 AM »

Akron-full scholarship! I must maintain a 3.3. Even if I don't, I will be an Ohio resident after 12 months so I am looking at 14k/yr in tuition in fees for only 2 years. The irony is that I just applied because it was free, but now they are my top choice.

What is the curve like?

Pretty tough. The past 3 years, it has ranged from the top 15-20% receive a 3.3 or above.

okayplayer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2006, 11:31:32 AM »
I'm doing Akron for the exact same reason...but I only have to keep a 2.5 after year one to get year two covered.  But, I still need a 3.3 for the third year.  I figure worst case scenario I owe in-state tuition for a year.  I could have gone to some decent tier 2's and low Teir 1's but it's just not worth the debt in my eyes.

aerynn

• Sr. Citizen
  • Wait, what?
    • View Profile
    • http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=aerynn
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2006, 12:20:27 PM »
Stetson has a top-notch trial law program, far better than their rank would lead you to expect.  If you want to be a PD, I would absolutely think hard about them.  I don't know much about Akron, though. 

Bonus:  Stetson is a beauiful campus in a beautiful city.
Here's how it went for me for Fall 2006 admission:
168/3.67
In: Emory($$), UGA ($), W&M ($$), GW($)
Waitlisted:American(W), UVA (W)
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=aerynn

BoredAtWork2112

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2006, 12:28:13 PM »

It says home "county." A county in Florida.

Aww c'mon, you edited didn't you?  :P

Tulane1L

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2006, 12:28:40 PM »
You might be able to get the same caliber job coming out of Akron, but it will almost def. be in Ohio....

I wouldn't discount Stetson so quicky, it is a good school with good placement, and if you want to return to Florida, it seems like the obvious choice.  If you want to go into public interest, look into whether Stetson has a LARP....

Sepatown

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2006, 12:33:28 PM »
I'm doing Akron for the exact same reason...but I only have to keep a 2.5 after year one to get year two covered.  But, I still need a 3.3 for the third year.  I figure worst case scenario I owe in-state tuition for a year.  I could have gone to some decent tier 2's and low Teir 1's but it's just not worth the debt in my eyes.
Nice. I have to get a 2.3 my fall semester to get spring semester covered. Have you visited Akron yet?

Sepatown

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2006, 12:36:41 PM »
Stetson has a top-notch trial law program, far better than their rank would lead you to expect.  If you want to be a PD, I would absolutely think hard about them.  I don't know much about Akron, though. 

Bonus:  Stetson is a beauiful campus in a beautiful city.
Yeah, Stetson rocks, I know. I've been in St. Pete/Tampa plenty of times. I've seen that they are ranked #1 for trial advocacy and #3 for legal writing, according to USNWR. But, if I want to be a PD, then 150k debt will be very hard to pay off. That's why I'm looking cheap, because I'm not expecting big money.