Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: IN AT CLEO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  (Read 3348 times)

OneAppAtATime

• View Profile
Re: IN AT CLEO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2006, 09:56:05 AM »
I have never met a person with white skin.  ::) :o Please post pictures.
Decision: Toledo (Full Scholarship)

RockyMarciano

• Sr. Citizen
  • Invading Ithaca this Fall
    • View Profile
Re: I'm in at CLEO TOO!
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2006, 03:22:00 PM »
I'll be at the Minnesota location (William Mitchell). The director nominated me, but I'm just happy to get the great experience before beginning first semester at Loyola-New Orleans.

Anyone else know which location they'll be at for CLEO?

I will be in sunny San Diego.
www.cpixel.com is the ghetto myspace

greengrl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2006, 08:41:45 PM »
Check the bolded quotes b/chick---> it may or may not have applied to you, I was issuing an opinion on assumption but made sure to qualify it.  and lump us all together--dumbass I am jewish and AFRICAN AMERICAN how in the HELL could I lump all jews together when 98% of jews have had a completely different life than I have and most of them consider me a N***ER until they figure out that I am jewish and then magicly I am cool.  A jewish girl from west l.a has sh*t to do with being disadvantaged so i don't know where you pulled that from.

I extend massive congrats on successfully applying to law school given your situation even if you are a total blower

Or maybe StephKay was acknowledging what people are so freakin' afraid to talk about when AA comes into the picture is that socioeconomic class rarely plays a factor unless that person happens to be an URM. It's not a battle between who is "disadvantaged more"--the discussion of class too often gets trumped by race. Neither is more or less "important" or "predictive"--but programs such as CLEO rarely address class if race isn't an issue.

Snowy838

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2006, 08:14:21 PM »
To those of you going to CLEO at William Mitchell- has anyone heard any details yet? Where we'll be staying? What time we need to be there? Anything? I'd like to book my flight as soon as possible. I would appreciate any info. 

inthesun

« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2006, 08:34:23 PM »
Check the bolded quotes b/chick---> it may or may not have applied to you, I was issuing an opinion on assumption but made sure to qualify it.  and lump us all together--dumbass I am jewish and AFRICAN AMERICAN how in the HELL could I lump all jews together when 98% of jews have had a completely different life than I have and most of them consider me a N***ER until they figure out that I am jewish and then magicly I am cool.  A jewish girl from west l.a has sh*t to do with being disadvantaged so i don't know where you pulled that from.

I extend massive congrats on successfully applying to law school given your situation even if you are a total blower

Or maybe StephKay was acknowledging what people are so freakin' afraid to talk about when AA comes into the picture is that socioeconomic class rarely plays a factor unless that person happens to be an URM. It's not a battle between who is "disadvantaged more"--the discussion of class too often gets trumped by race. Neither is more or less "important" or "predictive"--but programs such as CLEO rarely address class if race isn't an issue.

Actually, there are white people who go to CLEO.  Fewer white people apply because they don't realize that you don't have to be a minority to go.

latinlord

• Sr. Citizen
  • ME... Litigating at the Indiana State Court house!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - latinlord
    • View Profile
    • myspace profile, "come and say hello"
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2006, 01:41:25 AM »
ok so I applied to CLEO and I got an email saying that I got in, along with another letter saying that I got in. But It didn't say that I got nominated by a school or not, probibly the dean of CLEO. I didn't accept it, b/c by then I got my indiana acceptance and already knew that I had to spend my summer in indianapolis for its summer start program. Is there a chance that I could have gotten into another school that has already rejected me if I attended CLEO?? Why wouldn't they have told me that in the letter that a school nominated me?? Does CLEO have the power to reverse a rejection on the grounds that I attend their summer program??? Just curious, obviously it is probibly too late, but I'm just curious. Gracias.
Graduated from Indiana Law - Indianapolis!!
Was a 3rd year Visiting Student at Villanova University School of Law.
Graduated from Temple University Beasley School of Law - LL.M in Trial Advocacy Candidate 2010
 Published by Chicano/Latino Law Review of UCLA LAW. & I'm a Licensed Esq. NOW!

inthesun

« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2006, 10:45:02 AM »
ok so I applied to CLEO and I got an email saying that I got in, along with another letter saying that I got in. But It didn't say that I got nominated by a school or not, probibly the dean of CLEO. I didn't accept it, b/c by then I got my indiana acceptance and already knew that I had to spend my summer in indianapolis for its summer start program. Is there a chance that I could have gotten into another school that has already rejected me if I attended CLEO?? Why wouldn't they have told me that in the letter that a school nominated me?? Does CLEO have the power to reverse a rejection on the grounds that I attend their summer program??? Just curious, obviously it is probibly too late, but I'm just curious. Gracias.

I can't say for certain that CLEO will get you into a school that rejected you, but if you are happy with Indy, I would stick with it.  While I think CLEO is a wonderful program, I would not go with the sole purpose of getting into a school that I would not have gotten in without it.  If a school rejects you, it will probably take a top performance at CLEO to get them to change your mind (if they are even willing to do that), and most of the students at CLEO are hoping for something like that to happen.  CLEO exams and grading are a lot like real school, meaning that hard work and studying =/= that you are going to be the top of the class.  To the contrary, the people at the top of my CLEO class did not study as much as some of the others.  It's really just a shot in the dark, and not something to pin your hopes on.  There were more than a few disappointed people when the program was over. 

If you are still thinking you want to do that, then I do have to say that I know of at least one person who was rejected by a school, went to CLEO, and then was accepted to that school for the following year.  A lot of us were waitlisted or held at schools and got into them after CLEO.  I told the schools I applied to that I was attending CLEO and some said I could choose to have my application held for my CLEO performance, and others waitlisted me.  Some people received conditional acceptances for particular schools, meaning they had to finish at the top of their class for an acceptance.  There were some disappointments.  If the school you were rejected from doesn't know you got into CLEO, you may want to try e-mailing them to see if they would reconsider you based on a CLEO performance.  Again, a huge risk to take if that means you will not be able to go to the school where you have an acceptance safely in hand.

Finally, CLEO gets out in July, and many schools start at the beginning of August.  While a few weeks seems like a long time, it really isn't.  Most schools have their classes filled by then, and your acceptance may be contingent on any last minute movement.  I was accepted into Duke based on my CLEO performance, but I had a little more than a week to get my apartment in Durham, get my financial aid processed with DUke, and make the cross-country move.  In hindsight, I realize I was banking on a lot.  While I did proceed with getting my financial aid in order for the school I thought I would be attending, I did not sign a lease for an apartment for fear of trying to have to get out of it last minute.

Good luck with your decision! 

latinlord

• Sr. Citizen
  • ME... Litigating at the Indiana State Court house!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - latinlord
    • View Profile
    • myspace profile, "come and say hello"
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2006, 10:48:03 PM »

Wow thanks for the InFO!! IT sounds really interesting, but too much of a gamble. I'm already comfortable at INDY. I do wish that I knew this sooner, b/c maybe I would have chanced it, but probibly not. I'm not much of a gambler so I probibly would have stuck with InDY any way. Maybe I could have deffered indy or something, but still it would be a gamble. I was just asking b/c I never heard that CLEO could do that for you. Congrats on DUKE, that is awesome!!
I can't say for certain that CLEO will get you into a school that rejected you, but if you are happy with Indy, I would stick with it.  While I think CLEO is a wonderful program, I would not go with the sole purpose of getting into a school that I would not have gotten in without it.  If a school rejects you, it will probably take a top performance at CLEO to get them to change your mind (if they are even willing to do that), and most of the students at CLEO are hoping for something like that to happen.  CLEO exams and grading are a lot like real school, meaning that hard work and studying =/= that you are going to be the top of the class.  To the contrary, the people at the top of my CLEO class did not study as much as some of the others.  It's really just a shot in the dark, and not something to pin your hopes on.  There were more than a few disappointed people when the program was over. 

If you are still thinking you want to do that, then I do have to say that I know of at least one person who was rejected by a school, went to CLEO, and then was accepted to that school for the following year.  A lot of us were waitlisted or held at schools and got into them after CLEO.  I told the schools I applied to that I was attending CLEO and some said I could choose to have my application held for my CLEO performance, and others waitlisted me.  Some people received conditional acceptances for particular schools, meaning they had to finish at the top of their class for an acceptance.  There were some disappointments.  If the school you were rejected from doesn't know you got into CLEO, you may want to try e-mailing them to see if they would reconsider you based on a CLEO performance.  Again, a huge risk to take if that means you will not be able to go to the school where you have an acceptance safely in hand.

Finally, CLEO gets out in July, and many schools start at the beginning of August.  While a few weeks seems like a long time, it really isn't.  Most schools have their classes filled by then, and your acceptance may be contingent on any last minute movement.  I was accepted into Duke based on my CLEO performance, but I had a little more than a week to get my apartment in Durham, get my financial aid processed with DUke, and make the cross-country move.  In hindsight, I realize I was banking on a lot.  While I did proceed with getting my financial aid in order for the school I thought I would be attending, I did not sign a lease for an apartment for fear of trying to have to get out of it last minute.

Graduated from Indiana Law - Indianapolis!!
Was a 3rd year Visiting Student at Villanova University School of Law.
Graduated from Temple University Beasley School of Law - LL.M in Trial Advocacy Candidate 2010
 Published by Chicano/Latino Law Review of UCLA LAW. & I'm a Licensed Esq. NOW!

loveandlaw

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2006, 11:03:37 PM »

Greengrl has issues with minority programs. Read into her other posts.

inthesun

« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2006, 12:32:08 AM »

Wow thanks for the InFO!! IT sounds really interesting, but too much of a gamble. I'm already comfortable at INDY. I do wish that I knew this sooner, b/c maybe I would have chanced it, but probibly not. I'm not much of a gambler so I probibly would have stuck with InDY any way. Maybe I could have deffered indy or something, but still it would be a gamble. I was just asking b/c I never heard that CLEO could do that for you. Congrats on DUKE, that is awesome!!

You're welcome, and thank you.   :)