Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Thoughts on Ave Maria?  (Read 1630 times)

Candide

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Thoughts on Ave Maria?
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2004, 01:04:45 PM »
How do you know? I have heard that Yale is extremely competitive.

Quoting U.S. News' Ultimate Guide to Law Schools, "the school's size and the absence of grades or class ranking breeds a collaborative spirit and a homey informality."

mpete80

• Ave Maria Class of 2007
    • MSN Messenger - uofm97@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2004, 01:10:36 PM »
So because you read it in a magazine it MUST be true and a professor who is going to teach there MUST be lying or I, with no motive what-so-ever, MUST be making it up. Please tell me that when you vote you don't just pick up the USNEWS and vote for whomever is on the cover that day!

Candide

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2004, 01:29:45 PM »
So because you read it in a magazine it MUST be true and a professor who is going to teach there MUST be lying or I, with no motive what-so-ever, MUST be making it up. Please tell me that when you vote you don't just pick up the USNEWS and vote for whomever is on the cover that day!

1. I never said anything about the professor "lying."
2. Believe it or not, some law students go to these boards to talk about how great their law school is to increase the school's reputation and their own self-esteem.  I'm not saying that you are doing this, but the fact that you will be attending AM does provide a motive.
3. The US News quote is representative of what I've heard and read about Yale Law from many sources.
4. Repeating what I said in an earlier post, I believe AM is a law school on the rise and I wish you the best of luck there and in your career. 

superiorlobe

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2004, 08:25:29 PM »
How do you know? I have heard that Yale is extremely competitive.

Quoting U.S. News' Ultimate Guide to Law Schools, "the school's size and the absence of grades or class ranking breeds a collaborative spirit and a homey informality."

Check out these remarks, quoted in another thread, from a real Yale law student.

Heres another student's comments . . . .

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yale lost to Roger Williams in the ATLA competition. That should say something about what we are learning here. Most of the upper level students know nothing but a whole bunch of theory and not a damn thing about the law.

The profs don't give a hoot about the students, all they care about is their 'scholary research'. Don't even think about knocking on their doors with a question.

New Haven sucks donkey nuts.

I'm in so much debt that I am forced to go work as a corporate slave to pay it off. They boast about their LRAP program but it's way to hard to get a job that meets the requirements to qualify. (Think 28K a year or less....)

We have pass/fail here and the students are still ultra competitive. This is encouraged by the administration. WTF?"

Clearly he is down on Yale.  But notice the last line -- students are still ultra competitive.  That makes sense to me.  Even though they don't have traditional grades, they admit only the most competitive people in the world, so it is ridiculous to think that people aren't going to be competitive.  They basically select for competitive people.