Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Thoughts on Ave Maria?  (Read 1640 times)

mpete80

• Ave Maria Class of 2007
    • MSN Messenger - uofm97@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Thoughts on Ave Maria?
« on: July 31, 2004, 07:38:49 PM »
What is the national perspective on Ave Maria? I live in Michigan and it has an excellent reputation and in the press people are talking about it rivaling Michigan in about 5-10 years. It already beats UofM in bar passage and clerkships. Do non-Michiganders view it as a school on the rise or, since maybe you haven't heard much about it, dismiss it as a TTT? As you can see I am attending there and was just blown away when I visited and talked to faculty and students. I am just curious about a more neutral opinion. Thanks in advance.

Candide

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Thoughts on Ave Maria?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2004, 10:49:23 PM »
I had never heard of AM until last week, when they sent me a fee waiver.  I did a bit of research on the school and found some weak and strong points.

Of all the ABA law schools, Ave Maria has the highest acceptance rate at 62%.  Second place?  William Mitchell College of Law (MN) at 55%.  These are just numbers, but it doesn't look good in the eyes of potential employers.  On the other hand, like you mentioned, they do very well on the MI bar.  They've also got tons of money laying around for some reason - according to USNews they give out more fin. aid than every law school except for Michigan State and Loyola.  You asked for non-Mich. perception; from what I now know, I think it's a school on the rise.  Good luck!

nathanielmark

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2004, 10:54:02 PM »
they sent me something saying i was eligible for a 25K a year scholarship so i am thinking they cant be all that good, lol...

thebengalgent

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2004, 01:06:42 AM »
Is it a law school or a divinity school?  I just checked out their website, and it appears to be overtly catholic/religious.

mpete80

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2004, 09:02:05 AM »
Ave Maria has a very religous core but none of that is forced on the students. It is offered up for students to experience if they choose. The goal mainly is to create an environment where morals are not an after thought. One of the professors there had a great analogy when he discussed his pending two year teaching stint at Yale. He said "I am going from a school where students pray with one another to a school where students prey on one another."

Candide

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2004, 11:15:57 AM »
One of the professors there had a great analogy when he discussed his pending two year teaching stint at Yale. He said "I am going from a school where students pray with one another to a school where students prey on one another."

I assume your professor is not going to be teaching in the law school.

mpete80

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2004, 11:35:45 AM »
Actually he is.

superiorlobe

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2004, 11:56:38 AM »
I have a very high regard for Ave Maria.  I think they will rocket up to Tier 1 within five years.

Candide

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2004, 12:34:17 PM »
Actually he is.

Yale is one of the least competitive, most collegial law schools in the country.  There is no class standing.  I bet you'd be hard-pressed to find a single student there that supports the AM professor's claim that "students prey on one another."  Either you're making this up or your professor is ignorant.

superiorlobe

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2004, 12:38:56 PM »
Actually he is.

Yale is one of the least competitive, most collegial law schools in the country.  There is no class standing.  I bet you'd be hard-pressed to find a single student there that supports the AM professor's claim that "students prey on one another."  Either you're making this up or your professor is ignorant.

How do you know? I have heard that Yale is extremely competitive.