I would definitely look into deferring, but this late in the game, I wouldnt' get your hopes up for it. It seems that if you ask early on (mid june at the lastest) schools will generally grand a deferral. But you're talking two weeks before classes, all becuase you're just not sure now. That means the school will have to scramble and try to fill your spot off their waitlist (if they even have a waitlist still going) and there's a good chance that your seat will just go empty.
If you can't get a deferral, i'd say you should still go, and give it a shot. If, after a semester you decide you hate it, then leave. I mean, you could just be having cold feet, and if you don't go, you'll never know.