Law School Discussion

Why do Black women perm their hair?

Re: Why do Black women perm their hair?
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2006, 09:09:54 PM »
A lot of it is probably cultural.  There's a shared bond that Black women have as we sit around and tell stories about how So-and-so jacked up our hair and how our hair got burned out.  I'm honestly glad I have those stories to laugh about now but wish to never go through that BS again!

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2006, 09:17:11 PM »
i think a lot of black women aren't comfortable with their natural hair...but there are some that just think they look better with permmed hair...others that had their hair permmed by their mother's when they were younger and never opted to change that style...

i had a perm ... my mom made me get one.. and i kept it through college til i got to my senior yr..there is a freeing change that comes with going natural though.. it's weird..kind of euphoric..

mothers kick it off...there's a misconception that it's impossible to manage...it is hard to "manage" thicker hair but it isn't impossible... if we were actually taught how to manage our hair early there would be a lot less perms i guarantee...it's a cycle that repeats itself though...our parents had perms and so on...

M DOT

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2006, 09:21:16 PM »
basically, natural hair just isnt cool or good enough for many members of the black community, gotta imitate the standard

Statistic

• I never had a chance
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2006, 09:21:41 PM »
I always thought that Black women just wanted to have long flowing hair like white women. That they thought it was subjectively 'better' looking and that they hated their hair and didn't even think it was possible to be beautiful with the hair with which they were born.

silva

• vc n ss
    • AOL Instant Messenger - donel1921
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2006, 09:22:32 PM »
because white people are the best thing that ever happened to black folk

Actually Black folk are the best thing to ever happen to White people...but I'm gonna assume you are being facetious.

In reference to Black women and permed hair, that's something I've had a problem with ever since I realized that God gave us our unique type of hair and it is beautiful just the way it is. It appears that the permed hairstyle has become so prevalent on the modern Black woman that when you see her modeling a more natural look it's considered to be exotic, daring, or neglectful.  WTF???

Statistic

• I never had a chance
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2006, 09:24:20 PM »

as an aside, i have to admit that this white girl does look sorta' good.

« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2006, 09:24:49 PM »
omg  :D :D :D

« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2006, 09:25:45 PM »
A lot of Black women don't know how to do their natural hair.  It was only after I started researching natural hair that I even heard of comb coils, twists, etc.

There could also be professional concerns.  Esp. down South, Black people really aren't doing the "professional/natural" thing.  I am encouraged that more and more high-level workplaces are seeing more women with braids, locs, kinks, and even short naturals.  As my mom said, "You know, we just aren't used to that! We've been taught that people with dreads are dirty." >:( :'(

M DOT

« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2006, 09:26:56 PM »
actully dont get it twisted beyonce doesnt perm/relax her hair anymore and hasnt for a minute, hmmm i said something decent about home girl...now thats funny

Statistic

• I never had a chance
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2006, 09:27:09 PM »
A lot of Black women don't know how to do their natural hair.  It was only after I started researching natural hair that I even heard of comb coils, twists, etc.

There could also be professional concerns.  Esp. down South, Black people really aren't doing the "professional/natural" thing.  I am encouraged that more and more high-level workplaces are seeing more women with braids, locs, kinks, and even short naturals.  As my mom said, "You know, we just aren't used to that! We've been taught that people with dreads are dirty." >:( :'(

have you noticed that more and more of the black women in commericials have natural hair?