Law School Discussion

How valuable is a full ride?

Re: How valuable is a full ride?
« Reply #120 on: March 23, 2006, 01:24:08 PM »
Congrats on rollin the dice and doing things the way you really want to.

It must be a good feeling to be 100% on your decision now.

Yeah... but it's a little crazy because last week I thought I was 100%.  But there was a reason why I had Vandy ahead of Alabama on my initial list.

stc34

• View Profile
« Reply #121 on: March 23, 2006, 01:48:15 PM »
Hmm. Big change I guess. What is it that you like more about Vandy than Alabama? What do you now think about Alabama?

« Reply #122 on: March 23, 2006, 01:51:45 PM »
Hmm. Big change I guess. What is it that you like more about Vandy than Alabama? What do you now think about Alabama?

Pretty big change, I guess.  Job prospects at Vandy are better, for one thing; I'd like to think that I'd finish high in the class at Alabama but can't be so sure what with grading curves and everything.  I still think Alabama is a good law school but I just can't turn down Vanderbilt.

stc34

• View Profile
« Reply #123 on: March 23, 2006, 01:55:23 PM »
Are you going to withdraw from Alabama soon?

« Reply #124 on: March 23, 2006, 01:59:18 PM »
Are you going to withdraw from Alabama soon?

Yeah -- I will be withdrawing soon, so that will open up some scholarship money for someone else I guess.

stc34

• View Profile
« Reply #125 on: March 23, 2006, 05:44:33 PM »
just curious-what is the "reality" that set in regarding Alabama for you? What did you think about it when you visited?

« Reply #126 on: March 23, 2006, 07:31:29 PM »
just curious-what is the "reality" that set in regarding Alabama for you? What did you think about it when you visited?

I'm making the decision sound a lot easier than it was -- I think initially the thought was that a full ride should be the deciding factor but after talking to some people, I realized that while a full ride is certainly good, the scholarship from Alabama was not guaranteed, and I wouldn't want to have the added stress of having to stay in the top 25 percent of the class to keep my scholarship during my first year -- if I lost the scholarship, I'd be paying close to what I would pay at Vanderbilt.  All in all, it WAS a difficult choice to make, but a decision that big shouldn't be easy, and one shouldn't be too quick to make a decision about anything.

I think it is possible to get a job just about anywhere with an Alabama degree, but it is more difficult than it would be at Vanderbilt.

« Reply #127 on: March 23, 2006, 08:45:02 PM »
Ok, I've read all 8 pages of this thread and still need help answering this question:
Chapman w/ $$$ (not a full ride but full tuition 1st year and highly possible chance of renewing 70-100% of tuition for 2nd and 3rd years) or University of San Diego w/ no $$$?

Once again... ask yourself, which school do I want to go to?

That's pretty much the answer.

For some of us, the line isn't as clear -- my best options at this point are Pitt and Villanova.  I've got 18k undergrad debt.  Toss in about 10k for bar study loans.  So add 30k to whatever LS I go to.  At Villanova, I'll borrow about 43k a year.  At Pitt, I'd borrow about 31k a year.  It boils down to 123k debt vs. 153k debt.

I will say this much -- the higher the debt, the less the differential between two schools matters.  60k vs. 150k is one thing, but 125k vs. 150k isn't as huge of a difference.  At that point it boils down to feel.  Right now, Villanova feels like the right choice, so barring anything groundbreaking happening on a potential visit to Pitt, I'm going by gut.

I think if the debt gap were more drastic, I might even come down on the side of the full-ride people in this argument, but one thing I've thought for some time is that if you're going into debt bigtime no matter what, may as well do it at the school of your choice :)

You always seem to pop up with some great points!

If your debt load is going to be either 125k vs 150k does that really seem like a significant diff? For me personally, if I can spend $30 on a good product and $40 on a great product, I'll go with the extra ten bucks.  It's a bad example.  But my point is that the diff. in debt load you'd be facing is not that big.  I think 'Nova is ranked better than Pitt, right? And it has the better rep in Philly? I believe you had also said you lived in the 'Nova area and would like to stay in that area.  Does 'Nova place better in Penn. than Pitt? If you're leaning towards 'Nova, that seems like the right choice.

« Reply #128 on: March 23, 2006, 08:53:11 PM »
I posted this on another thread, but it might be useful here...

I have been deciding between UB (no $ yet), Albany (full ride) and 'Cuse (no $)

After being told that there was no chance that I would get a scholarship from 'Cuse, I went to visit there this past week...looking for even ONE good reason why I should give up cheap tuition at a higher ranked school (UB) or a full ride at a lower ranked school (Albany) and take out all that $$$ in loans.  I didn't find it.  I'm glad I visited beacuse it allowed me to cross off 'Cuse and make it a two school playoff (unless by some miracle I get into 'Nova).

My point is that for ppl like me who get into schools ranked similarly it seems wise to bring economics into the mix.  If I had gotten into Fordham (I obviously didn't) or any school in that ranking range I would have gone no matter how much $$$ I had to take out in loans.  But I am choosing between similar ranked school and money is def. playing a big part. 

When I visited UB the Dean told me she will probably be able to offer me some money.  But I'm still waiting.  Geesh.  I wish you would realize that the deposit deadlines are coming up soon. 

« Reply #129 on: March 23, 2006, 09:08:16 PM »
i think ill probably take a full ride if im offered one.  i figure that ill have an easier time justifying that next round of vodka and redbulls for a crew of hotties with my loan money and that makes the Stifman happy.