Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 25k from Yale vs. Hamilton  (Read 1490 times)

bpsavage

• View Profile
    • Email
25k from Yale vs. Hamilton
« on: March 20, 2006, 03:43:58 PM »
So I have been given 25k in grant money from Yale, plus loans for 29,000.  I have also been offered the Hamilton from Columbia, which covers full tuition for all three years.  I have not yet received the total financial package from Columbia, however (so I'm not sure if I'll have to pay or take out loans to cover the living expenses above and beyond the tuition covered by the Hamilton). 

Has anyone in my position tried calling Harvard or Yale and telling them about the Hamilton in order to try and receive more grant money?  Yale's offer was much more generous than I had expected, but I would obviously take more grant money if I could get it.  Do Harvard or Yale ever consider increasing aid as a result of other offers given to potential students?   

futurelawyer859

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: 25k from Yale vs. Hamilton
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2006, 03:45:58 PM »
sounds like you really have it tough;)
Attending: NKU-Chase

dougiefresh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2006, 03:48:35 PM »
I'll weigh in on a few things:

1) CLS will not give you any more money than the Hamilton.  Some chick had the gall to ask this in front of everyone at the Admitted Students Day, and the dean of fin aid said they don't provide anything on top of that.

2) I don't think it could hurt to send a copy of your Hamilton offer to H,Y - but don't expect anything from it.  They don't offer merit aid, and their likely response will probably be that their offer is need-based and not subject to change barring a drastic change in your financial situation.  Still, might as well try.

If I were you, I'd thank Yale for its very generous offer, accept the money at Yale, and never look back.
Air Flare - attending NU in Fall 2007

Guess who's coming to dinner?!?

• Sr. Citizen
  • Don't call it a come back
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2006, 03:49:42 PM »
Can't hurt to try.  What are they going to do? Revoke your acceptance cause you said "I'm broke cough up more $$" ?  I know there are other threads on how to negotiate scholarship increases maybe those tactics could apply to your situation as well.

Oh, and great decision to face! Congrats!
There's no homework in Law School

bass

• Sr. Citizen
  • Retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2006, 11:34:53 PM »
I think there is 0 chance you'll get any more from yale, and I think you should go to yale.  The hamilton isn't much more than 29K a year, right?  So you are basically even money, which is ridiculous.

Y is need based.  A Hamilton does not indicate more need.

habeas dorkus!

• Sr. Citizen
  • A retired queen of hearts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2006, 11:48:34 PM »
So I have been given 25k in grant money from Yale, plus loans for 29,000.  I have also been offered the Hamilton from Columbia, which covers full tuition for all three years.  I have not yet received the total financial package from Columbia, however (so I'm not sure if I'll have to pay or take out loans to cover the living expenses above and beyond the tuition covered by the Hamilton). 

Has anyone in my position tried calling Harvard or Yale and telling them about the Hamilton in order to try and receive more grant money?  Yale's offer was much more generous than I had expected, but I would obviously take more grant money if I could get it.  Do Harvard or Yale ever consider increasing aid as a result of other offers given to potential students?   

Y doesn't give comparison money, period. You can try calling, but it will only get you flagged as a feminine hygiene product.

$25K is an awesome grant from Yale -- one of the highest I've seen. You should take it and run.
Stop being so cryptic, fuckers.

Pancho

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2006, 11:51:23 PM »
$25K is an awesome grant from Yale -- one of the highest I've seen. You should take it and run.

Agreed.

Mr. Pink

• LSD Obsessed
  • @#!* YOU! @#!* YOU! I'M f-in' DYING HERE! I'M FU
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2006, 11:56:24 PM »

Agreed.

Go to Yale and dont look back
Mr. White: Smoke?
Mr. Pink: I quit.
[later]
Mr. Pink: What, you got one?

Mr. Pink

• LSD Obsessed
  • @#!* YOU! @#!* YOU! I'M f-in' DYING HERE! I'M FU
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2006, 12:09:28 AM »
i say come to columbia, not for any logical reason but because i'm biased.

more friends for you...your going to be really popular next year
Mr. White: Smoke?
Mr. Pink: I quit.
[later]
Mr. Pink: What, you got one?

Slumdog Lovebutton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2006, 12:22:22 AM »
wow, what an amazing position to be in.

honestly, both yale and columbia seem very close together in prestige, and it's amazing that you got money from both.  if it were me, i'd look at the programs and judge based on that.  yale and anwhere below the top five and i'd say Yale all the way, but IMO, columbia could give it a run for its money.
--ranking whore extraordinaire
* Columbia Law, Class of 2011 *

LSN