Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: GW vs. GULC  (Read 4239 times)

Erapitt

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: GW vs. GULC
« Reply #40 on: April 19, 2006, 07:52:43 PM »
I never said I didn't get good advice on here.  Please, if you are going to start acting like this is some magically serious discussion board get a clue.  I can't count the number of young morons that post ridiculous things like "I want my seamen to taste like chocolate."  The site USED to be helpful (last cycle) but now it is full of trash.  I simply chime in my "tell it like it is opinion" where I want to. 

Also, its not like I am binding my time to post here at work.  I read my PMs, if I see a post in my unread list that I feel like commenting on, I do so.  There is nothing you can do about it so get over it.
Attending GW in Fall '06

andyg

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 19, 2006, 09:37:58 PM »
It's a law school Internet discussion board, we're all nerds. Just some of us are nerds with big penises.

hahaa....that would be a topic for a whole different post.
Georgetown 2009!

Gary Glitter

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: April 19, 2006, 10:01:14 PM »
hey andyg - you stated earlier that you were impressed with the students at GT though not at GW

please explain ... curious to hear why
The Good:Harvard, Stanford
The Bad:
The Ugly: Yale

andyg

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 20, 2006, 11:19:53 AM »
hey andyg - you stated earlier that you were impressed with the students at GT though not at GW

please explain ... curious to hear why

They just seemed more enthusiastic about the school as a whole...the students at GW are very nice and smart, and some of my really good friends go there. However...I got the same feeling when i visited as this guy, who wrote on his blog:

Now that I've spent a few months telling people my plans, I keep hearing the same question: "Did you say you're going to law school at Georgetown?" No, I say, it's George Washington, to which people invariably respond with, "oh," and a furrowed brow that says, "why not Georgetown? That's the only DC law school I've ever heard of." Sometimes they save me the trouble of having to guess what they're thinking—they just come right out and say it. When I visited GW last March I detected a distinct inferiority complex among the people I talked to; they'd always mention Georgetown in condescending ways and even explicitly say things like "we think we're better than Georgetown." And maybe they are. The point is, it seems like very few people - neither students nor faculty - end up at GW by choice; instead, they end up there because they couldn't get in (or hired) at Georgetown.

But since I have the choice, I figured I would go to the place where none of that was an issue. I'm not interested in IP or things like that. Should any of this matter ? No, GW is a great school and people SHOULD be really happy that they got in there...but for some reason, there is this weird thing going on with them, maybe because they are in the same city.
Georgetown 2009!

Erapitt

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 20, 2006, 11:24:36 AM »
I definately think andy's post is right on (and I am attending GW haha).  I would have surely chosen GULC had I gotten in, but figure maybe its for the best that I didn't because I hear their evening program is hell.

Nonetheless, I think this is the case at many schools.  I mean, people in NY that get into fordham are completely sh#t outta luck because of Columbia and NYU.  I don't think DC is the only city that thinks like this.

One thing I am learning is I need to let go of what people think and just roll with things as they come.  Just as there are people that say "oh, why not Georgetown?"  There are people that say "wow, GW, congrats!" 

I think if I can ignore the former and accept the latter more often then I will be a much more well adjusted law student haha.

That being said, if scholarship money is in the mix I would go with GW, otherwise, go to GULC and don't look back.  Good luck with your decision.
Attending GW in Fall '06

Gary Glitter

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #45 on: April 20, 2006, 11:40:39 AM »
interesting to hear

my buddy is a 3L at GW and he specifically chose the school to do IP - i've never heard him complain

i think he turned down cornell, SC, and maybe others to be there, which might explain why i've never heard him gripe about this inferiority complex

though makes perfect sense that if GT was your dream school and you ended up at GW you'd be permanently resentful for the aforementioned reasons
The Good:Harvard, Stanford
The Bad:
The Ugly: Yale

Erapitt

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 20, 2006, 11:43:53 AM »
But those that remain resentful I think have some self-esteem issues.  Sure, I would have liked to have gone to GULC, but whatever, I am proud to be attending GW.  I don't plan on looking back and even if I have the grades I won't transfer.  Transferring is a pain pain in the as# as far as I am concerned.  Plus, GW law review will go as far as GULC anyway.

Attending GW in Fall '06

potato

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 20, 2006, 11:53:25 AM »
interesting to hear

my buddy is a 3L at GW and he specifically chose the school to do IP - i've never heard him complain

i think he turned down cornell, SC, and maybe others to be there, which might explain why i've never heard him gripe about this inferiority complex

though makes perfect sense that if GT was your dream school and you ended up at GW you'd be permanently resentful for the aforementioned reasons

Yep, maybe because I did get into higher ranked schools, or that I don't feel like I have to prove anything about my intelligence anymore, I'm not resentful of G'town.

However, I think that attitude is even present at G'town, and probably to some extent at any school save Yale, as a previous poster said.

One of the great things about getting older is realizing that there is probably always going to be someone who is better at something than you are, but not to let that bother you.

Erapitt

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 20, 2006, 11:54:43 AM »
interesting to hear

Yep, maybe because I did get into higher ranked schools, or that I don't feel like I have to prove anything about my intellegence anymore, I'm not resentful of G'town.

However, I think that attitude is even present at G'town, and probably to some extent at any school save Yale, as a previous poster said.

One of the great things about getting older is realizing that there is probably always going to be someone who is better at something than you are, but not to let that bother you.

Right on.
Attending GW in Fall '06

Sweet Tea

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 20, 2006, 12:31:50 PM »
Back off Erapitt on this one.  He was attacked, and responded in kind.  Sounds like they have a personal PM beef that's expanding to the general board; maybe we shouldn't weigh in on it?

Erapitt doesn't seem to be in on the "Don't worry! You can raise your LSAT score 30 points by June!  Just study!"-kumbayah of the LSD community.  Oh well.  I respect "call it like I see it" much more than trying to convince community college transfers that they'll be at Yale next year with the help of just a little positive thinking. ;)
Attending The George Washington University School of Law, class of 2009 :)

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=BenFolds5