Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: GW vs. GULC  (Read 4253 times)

Erapitt

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: GW vs. GULC
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2006, 02:18:59 PM »
While I agree that GULC is def. a better school than GW, you people are nuts to say flat out that GW is not national.  GW students choose to stick to the east coast (NYC is where most take the bar) and it places just fine along the coast.  Not to mention that people that want to go to Cali have been able to in the past.

My only point is this... Top 20% at GW is going to hold more national clout than GULC's bottom half.
Attending GW in Fall '06

team mvp

• Sr. Citizen
  • Columbia '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2006, 02:20:32 PM »
While I agree that GULC is def. a better school than GW, you people are nuts to say flat out that GW is not national.  GW students choose to stick to the east coast (NYC is where most take the bar) and it places just fine along the coast.  Not to mention that people that want to go to Cali have been able to in the past.

My only point is this... Top 20% at GW is going to hold more national clout than GULC's bottom half.

No arguments here.

potato

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2006, 03:10:28 PM »
I just decided to go with GW over GULC, and a few other higher ranked (but not NYSCCN) schools.  Why? I want to do IP (I have a PhD in the hard sciences), and GW gave me a nice scholarship package.

After talking to a few IP attys who all said GW placed nationally for IP, I felt it was a better option for me considering the $$$ (vs GULC and NU) and the course offerings and location (vs UT, which would have been the same cost).  Plus, I liked GW better than G'town when I visited.

I know there's the 'but what if I change my mind about IP?' factor, which yes, might happen, but I have a feeling that if I find IP boring or distasteful, I'm not going to like any 'big law', so I'm better off coming out with less debt. And if I do go into big law (IP or otherwise), the money I don't have to pay back is money I can invest, and being 30 and not having any investments of my own kinda freaks me out).

However, if I wasn't sure about what I wanted to do, didn't have a PhD, and there was no price difference, G'town has the draw of the more national name, and I'd probably go with that. 

chacabuco

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2006, 03:27:40 PM »
if your choices are gw vs. gulc, go to gulc.  if youre in at gw but not gulc, enjoy gw and dont worry about the 'overshadowing' stuff.  its a great school.

trogdor

• Sr. Citizen
  • the BURNINATOR!
    • View Profile
    • LSN profile
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2006, 03:38:45 PM »
after visiting both schools the pros for both in my mind were as follows:

GW Pros:
location (foggy b is much better)
cheaper but still very expensive
ip program is awesome (if you're into that sort of thing - i'm not)
may be less cutthroat, but i'm really not sure about this

Gtown Pros:
more prestige/more "national" (may be somewhat negligible depending on placement in class for employment)
more recruiters (top school in nation for recruitment in terms of number) - gw = 13
faculty
campus removed from main undergrad campus (IMO - i don't want to relive undergrad)
facilities are nicer

ultimately, i chose gtown because i didn't really see much at gw that would convince me to go there over gtown.  i was hoping for a definite feeling when i went to the admitted students days beyond these more objective factors.  i got it at gw relatively quickly.  my guide on the tour (one of the students) was horrible and gave a really bad impression of the school for me, some of the fellow admitted students were a real turnoff as well (in particular, a girl who kept asking where the gym was during the tour and where all the hot frat guys were - 'nough said).  i enjoyed everyone i talked to at gtown and just got a much better sense of "this is where i'm meant to be".  this is entirely subjective i realize and may not help others that much.   

however, they're both good schools, and no one should feel like they won't have great opportunities coming out of gw. 
"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." Orwell

mjca83

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2006, 04:46:31 PM »
I haven't heard a good enough reason yet why someone would choose GW over Georgetown.

potato

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2006, 04:58:28 PM »
Then, by all means, go to GULC. 

scottyd1982

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • I'm a MySpace Whore
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2006, 05:21:55 PM »

I'll say that GW degrees DO travel far. In Nevada, both our senior Senator (Harry Reid, minority leader) and former A/G, Frankie Sue Del Papa, attended GW.
UGPA: 3.4, 3.9 last 3 years
LSAT: 163
B.A.: University of Nevada
Majors: History/Poli Sci

Dates: DePaul ($$), San Francisco ($$), Temple, Villanova, Cincinnati ($$), Pacific ($$), Loyola Marymount, San Diego

Friends: Loyola-Chicago, UC-Davis

Rejections: None

Fiancee: American

Erapitt

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2006, 05:41:53 PM »
I haven't heard a good enough reason yet why someone would choose GW over Georgetown.

What's it even matter to you?  You don't have either as an option.......
Attending GW in Fall '06

team mvp

• Sr. Citizen
  • Columbia '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2006, 05:50:28 PM »

What's it even matter to you?  You don't have either as an option.......

ooo...harsh