Law School Discussion

OSU Moritz Scholarship notification

divotjr

• Shamrock and Roll!!!
    • View Profile
    • Email
OSU Moritz Scholarship notification
« on: March 20, 2006, 11:10:20 AM »
The OSU was to begin sending out notifications to the semi-finalists for the Moritz scholarship today....anyone hear anything yet???

Re: OSU Moritz Scholarship notification
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2006, 11:14:42 AM »
i was a mortiz semi finalist last year

i was really unimpressed with how the dean conducted herself during the final round

she scheduled 2 phone interviews with me - and forget to call me on BOTH

after the second "oopsie" i withdrew my app and headed for the t20

are they handling themselves in a semi-professional manner this  year?

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2006, 11:22:50 AM »
I'm waiting too.

divotjr

• Shamrock and Roll!!!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2006, 11:29:07 AM »
i was a mortiz semi finalist last year

i was really unimpressed with how the dean conducted herself during the final round

she scheduled 2 phone interviews with me - and forget to call me on BOTH

after the second "oopsie" i withdrew my app and headed for the t20

are they handling themselves in a semi-professional manner this  year?

Im not really sure... the only person i have dealt with so far was Laura Leathers in the financial aid department and she has been great. If I get a notification/interview (doubtful) I will keep you updated

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2006, 09:36:54 AM »
Just got an email. I didn't make the cut. I must say I am kind of shocked/

greenpolo

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2006, 09:57:16 AM »
I just got the email telling me I didn't qualify as a semi-finalist. Considering a T15 school nominated me for a full ride for the first year, I am not pleased at all with OSU. >:( Their preliminary scholarship offer stunk (about 1/4 of in-state tuiton). The irony is that I would definitely have considered turning down a T15 school if they offered me a decent scholarship. Oh well. It just makes my decision a lot easier. I just wonder what the stats and qualifications of those that qualified for the Moritz Merit Scholarship. I don't harbor any bitterness to them - I wish them all my best. I think Ohio State is a fine school. It's just not the right choice for me in my circumstances now.

greenpolo

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2006, 09:59:52 AM »
By the way, if anyone has any questions about the Columbus area, I can probably help. I have lived in Columbus my entire life (less than five miles from OSU) and am happy to help. Fire away!

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2006, 10:13:40 AM »
Harold,

I have some questions: how's the cost of living in Columbus? where do most students live? what areas in which I should look for an apt?

greenpolo

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2006, 10:23:54 AM »
TNlawguy - The cost of living in Columbus is pretty low. Housing is dirt cheap (it is easy to find one bedroom apartments in safe neighborhoods for about $550 or so per month). Most Ohio State students live east of campus, but honestly that area just isn't safe. The mayor is trying to revitalize the neighborhood close to OSU, but it's still pretty awful - it leads the cities in murders, rapes, etc. every year. I don't think many law students live there. Really the only advantages of the area east of campus is convenience (there are some small shops, but no real supermarkets within walking distance for groceries) and dirt cheap rents (you can easily get a 1 bedroom apt. in this area for under $400 per month). I recommend looking for housing in Clintonville or Beechwoldh. Rents are affordable (about $600 for a one bedroom) and it's a safe, friendly community. It's about three miles north of Ohio State, and a straight shot on the #2 bus down high street to campus (buses run up and down high street about every 8 to 10 minutes during the day - I think OSU has an agreement with COTA where you can ride for free if you show your student id card). I hope this helps!

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2006, 10:27:47 AM »
it does help a lot! thx. What about South Campus Gateway apts? Do you know, or have you heard, anything about it?