Law School Discussion

Albany, Pace?

Albany, Pace?
« on: March 20, 2006, 07:42:01 AM »
How much of a difference is there between Albany and Pace?
Especially if I don't want to practice in NY after graduation. I've heard bad things about both places. Transferring after 1st year is definitely an option, too-- as long as I do well enough as a 1L.

Waitlisted at RU-- if accepted that's where I'll be. Also accepted to Franklin Pierce and Stetson.

Help!

Re: Albany, Pace?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2006, 08:30:35 AM »
If you don't want to work in NY, why did you apply to regional schools in NY? I visited Pace and really liked the campus.  I sat in a on a Torts class and the professor was interesting...it was frustrating though that I knew the answer he was trying to get at and I don't know if the class did or if they just didn't want to raise their hands. Their enviro law program is amazing, but if that isn't your cup of tea...

I don't really know anything about Albany except...they used to be ranked higher but then something happened( I think they forgot to send in the ranking survey... I read it in one of the law school books I have) and now their lower.

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2006, 08:38:04 AM »
Well I applied because of my scores, though I know they are no indicator of how I will do. I figured the closer to the area I want to practive the better. I heard the same thing about Pace, though. They used to be T4 and something happened and they dropped a whole tier. Their alumni base seems to reach farther than Albany's which seems to be a good thing. But if I do well enough to transfer I suppose that won't matter.

I guess its really which is the lesser of two evils-- not that either are that bad, but I am trying to see if there really is that much of a difference between these lesser known schools.

Jolie Was Here

• 3L. Meh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2006, 12:25:05 PM »
Can't really speak to the schools, but I went to undergrad in Albany and lived there for 8 years total.  Albany gets a bad rap, but I would go back there in a heartbeat if that's where life took me - I think it's a great little city.  (And I live in Manhattan, so I know from cities!) 
Just thought I'd throw in my $.02, fwiw.