Law School Discussion

Rankings whores.

JamesD

• View Profile
Re: Rankings whores.
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2006, 12:29:54 AM »
While visiting law schools, I have heard the following statement dozens of times:

"This is the highest ranked school I got into.  So this is where I'm going.  If I get into [insert higher ranked school X], I'll go there"

JamesD

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2006, 12:33:42 AM »
It gets worse.  I've also heard several individuals suggest that they cannot make a final decision until they see the 2007 USNWR rankings.

JamesD

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2006, 12:40:17 AM »
God, I have to go to work at 8am.  Me to LSD: "I wish I knew how to quit you". 

JamesD

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2006, 12:44:02 AM »
Most people strike me as dumb.  Period.  Even people who will be attending law school.  The obsession with rankings is very real.  Some people are entirely driven by them.  Imagine if you were a rankings whore and you decided to attend Hastings... its still a great school, regardless of how USNWR screwed it over... but I bet some people contemplated suicide over that one.

« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2006, 01:11:57 AM »
God, I have to go to work at 8am.  Me to LSD: "I wish I knew how to quit you". 

HAHAHA.  my life.

i'm not ashamed to be a "rankings whore." for my own decision, rankings are definitely a factor i consider--not to determine without looking at any other factors whether or not I'm going to go one school over another.  But those rankings can serve as a guideline or reference to help determine advantages/disadvantages of schools that are far apart in prestige or reputation--more likely than not, there's a big difference between #25 and #175.

i agree that it's foolish to make a decision based solely on a list published in a magazine, and i think that the pendulum-swinging-sized-difference between schools that are relatively close together should not always be decisive.  if you're happy at number #175 and miserable at #25, the rankings  are obviously irrelevant for you.  but at the same time, i don't think it is fair to discount the rankings altogether as a factor in making a difficult decision where other qualities may be more or less equal.

JamesD

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2006, 01:18:52 AM »
I'm hardly considering 25 vs. 175.  I'm considering t14 vs t40. 

« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2006, 01:33:23 AM »

but the point should hold in that case, too, right?  if someone isn't going to be dictated by numbers, that is.

ultimately, like we've been saying, it all comes down to a personal choice.  i agree with you all that numbers don't mean anything if you hate your school, even if i personally would go for a t14 over #40 any day.  hopefully that doesn't make me a bad or unreasonable person, but maybe it does.

okay.  i'll see ya'll in the morning  ;D

JPhilmore

• This actually is me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2006, 09:06:27 AM »

but the point should hold in that case, too, right?  if someone isn't going to be dictated by numbers, that is.

ultimately, like we've been saying, it all comes down to a personal choice.  i agree with you all that numbers don't mean anything if you hate your school, even if i personally would go for a t14 over #40 any day.  hopefully that doesn't make me a bad or unreasonable person, but maybe it does.

okay.  i'll see ya'll in the morning  ;D

I don't understand.  14 < 40, so the school ranked 14th must be better than the school ranked 40th.  Otherwise it wouldn't have a lower number.  What am I missing here?

->Soon

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2006, 09:14:54 AM »
Has anyone else wondered what happens if number 14 falls next yr to number 15?

Does it "suck" then?

All the students that wnet their just to be #14 transferring now?

Or maybe they just realize that within a few places, ranks just dont matter...

Erapitt

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2006, 09:21:49 AM »
The T14 has always been the T14.  That is why they are referenced so often.  Since the beginning of the rankings these are the schools that have consistantly stayed within the Top 14.