Law School Discussion

Rankings whores.

Re: Rankings whores.
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2006, 11:09:08 PM »
I totally agree with you.  I chose Alabama over Vanderbilt (among others.)  You're right; is it really the same for somebody who chooses Alabama over Vanderbilt as it is for somebody for whom Alabama is their "best" option?

It doesn't hurt that I visited Alabama and loved it.

JamesD

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2006, 11:10:12 PM »
'Most opportunities' is what I take issue with.  Sure, we can agree - in general - that most people at top school X will have more opportunities than graduates from lower school Y.  But it all depends on which lower school Y.... and which individual.

I've always been very confident and entirely not averse to risk.  Would I be worried about not having as many options post-graduation if I went to UNC over UVA?  No.  But that's just me.  I've never had any shortage of opportunities, and I doubt I ever will.   

And the poster right above me... if he goes to Bama over Vandy... is he saying, "OK.  I am going to Bama, and will grudgingly accept the fact that I will only have options X, Y, and Z."  Is he going to Bama thinking, "I'll go to Bama and entirely change my game plan because of my 'limited options'."  I highly doubt it... he's going to Bama intent on doing well and having tons of options after he graduates...

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2006, 11:15:33 PM »
'Most opportunities' is what I take issue with.  Sure, we can agree - in general - that most people at top school X will have more opportunities than graduates from lower school Y.  But it all depends on which lower school Y.... and which individual.

I've always been very confident and entirely not averse to risk.  Would I be worried about not having as many options post-graduation if I went to UNC over UVA?  No.  But that's just me.  I've never had any shortage of opportunities, and I doubt I ever will.   

Ultimately, it seems to me (and this could be completely off given my lack of real world experience) a law degree from anywhere and the motivation to succeed after graduation is what matters most in the end.  An individual who goes to a top-ranked law school might hate it and end up dead inside.  An individual who goes to a lower-ranked law school might feel bored or regret the decision in a year.  Who knows? 

I feel like it's impossible to give a person perfect advice (esp. on this forum), but it helps to throw thoughts and ideas out there, you know?

Like "hey, Mollie, you should seriously be working on that take-home midterm right now."  Actually, that's pretty good advice.

JamesD

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2006, 11:18:15 PM »
Hmmm....  higher vs. lower is all relative.  Way different scenario is its Harvard vs. Western New England....  or Virginia vs. West Virginia....

My idea of a 'good school' is generally much broader than is commonly held.

I entirely agree with you about the importance of the individual, motivation, etc.   

shaz

• University of Toledo Class of 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2006, 11:34:55 PM »
one of my goals in going to law school is freedom.  i really like the idea of being able to hang my own shingle and working for myself.  i also would like to give the corporate thing a try.  i like the fact that i can go slow and learn the ropes from others.  i also think being a public defender or prosecutor for a while would be beneficial in an emersion kind of way.  i think that a high ranking school will give me more latitude in the long run.  what if i change my mind and want to do sports law or entertainment law?  who knows what the future will hold for me?   

as a minority i also worry that going for the money now will hurt me in the prestige department later.  i don't want to make it too easy to have a door slammed in my face. 

« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2006, 11:42:28 PM »

And the poster right above me... if he goes to Bama over Vandy... is he saying, "OK.  I am going to Bama, and will grudgingly accept the fact that I will only have options X, Y, and Z."  Is he going to Bama thinking, "I'll go to Bama and entirely change my game plan because of my 'limited options'."  I highly doubt it... he's going to Bama intent on doing well and having tons of options after he graduates...

Exactly.  I wasn't even thinking about "limited options" when I made my decision since I have no desire to work in NYC anyway, and worst-case scenario, I'm working in Birmingham, which is a pretty nice place to live and where an Alabama degree is considered better than just about any other law degree.  The 3L I talked to during my visit had a job lined up in Atlanta after graduation and had worked summers in Atlanta and Dallas.

JamesD

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2006, 12:03:32 AM »
In places like Alabama, regional preference generally tends to dominate the market.  If you're working in Birmingham, a Bama degree is very highly respected.  I think you made a great decision.  I'm sure you'll have options in TX or GA if you want to leave the state.

« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2006, 12:14:09 AM »
In places like Alabama, regional preference generally tends to dominate the market.  If you're working in Birmingham, a Bama degree is very highly respected.  I think you made a great decision.  I'm sure you'll have options in TX or GA if you want to leave the state.

I know I made a great decision.  If I wanted to return to Memphis after graduation, an Alabama degree is well-respected there as well (the two law schools Memphis firms hire from the most, from what I can tell, are Memphis and Ole Miss, and Alabama is ranked higher than both) and anyways, the impression that I got was that much of their employment numbers were self-selecting.  About 80% of the students are from Alabama and are going to law school there because they want to stay in Alabama after graduation; I think that kind of inflates the in-state employment quite a bit and doesn't necessarily mean that the degree doesn't travel well.  That's far different from Vandy, where only about 10-15% of the class is from Tennessee and a majority of the students aren't there specifically because they want to practice in Tennessee after graduation (though some certainly end up doing so.)

« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2006, 12:16:42 AM »
Uhh... some of the students I met at Vandy actually suggested that I should pick Michigan over Vandy if I got in there.  So apparently there are some.

« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2006, 12:28:45 AM »
Great points JD...totally agree...