Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Is a law degree useless without passing the bar?  (Read 5932 times)

WinnieCooper

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Is a law degree useless without passing the bar?
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2006, 02:31:11 PM »
Yeah, but why not get a degree that would actually HELP with the profession of high school administration?  You can get MA degrees and even PhDs in education administration.  Law school trains you to be a lawyer.  Period.  I think it would be better for yourself and the children you plan to serve if you get another degree in an education-related discipline.

Erapitt

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2006, 02:46:05 PM »
Okay, well completely ignoring the salary issue, I concur with winniecooper.  On top of a JD being useless for the profession, I really don't see any school district finding someone with ZERO experience in education and a law degree of any value.
Attending GW in Fall '06

iexcite

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2006, 02:53:24 PM »
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but are there people out there who plan to go to law school but not take the bar? Can you use the degree to get other jobs like in business or management. Essentially, is the bar necessary if you do not plan to practice law? Thanks.

I personally know 3 guys who went to law school and never took the bar. All are very successful using their JD. A law degree is very versatile as we all know.  Iím going to law school to practice law but many are successful working in other areas without ever being admitted to any bar.

Erapitt

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2006, 02:54:03 PM »
Its not a matter of the possibility of using it elsewhere, its a matter of it being dumb to spend 100K on a degree that is unnecessary when you could pursue other avenues.
Attending GW in Fall '06

jhare

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - moonmeadowe
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2006, 03:16:02 PM »
Not to mention the three years that could be spent doing something more along the career path of a principal.

I teach high school, and principals/heads of school seem to get their advanced degrees in education - no surprise there. If you are really interested in the law, and money is not much of a concern, then there's nothing wrong with getting a law degree - in fact, I think it's kind of cool to get one just because you love studying law - but that's a lot of money for something "kind of cool."

fins2left

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2006, 03:24:46 PM »
Hey, I agree with what all of you are saying. I will probably just go get my masters. For the record, my high school principal has a J.D. and is making close to 90k. He is what made me think of it in the first place. Thanks for all the opinions. They are confirming what I was thinking. While it would be really cool to get my law degree, I am not sure it is worth the cost. 

check01

« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2006, 03:28:53 PM »
If you are at all interested in public policy, a JD without passing the bar can be quite useful in Washington, D.C.  You can be a lobbyist, or a Hill staffer, or an administration official, or (a certain type of) a bureaucrat, a trade association wonk, a think tank wonk, a public interest wonk, and many other jobs all without bothering with the bar. Only some of the jobs pay extremely well, but all can be stepping stones to those high-paying jobs.

On the other hand, there is also a snobbishness in D.C. among non-lawyers that people with JDs are merely technicians, like plumbers -- you call them in to research the law and draft ideas into actual legislation, but they don't necessarily do the real thinking.  If you were to find yourself in this kind of career ghetto, passing the bar would be a good way to break out.

Just remember that you can take the bar any time, it doesn't have to be right after law school.

fins2left

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2006, 03:37:44 PM »
Good point, Check. There is always the option of taking the bar later, if it would help  the career.

Erapitt

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2006, 03:40:00 PM »
I imagine passing the bar years after being out of law school would be a helluva lot more difficult than directly after.

I still contest that going to law school with aspirations in education is dumb.
Attending GW in Fall '06

jhare

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - moonmeadowe
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2006, 04:17:04 PM »
I still contest that going to law school with aspirations in education is dumb.

You mean 'contend', I think. I don't normally nitpick but here it seems important.

It is dumb, unless you are really interested in law and don't need to worry about the time or the money spent. I don't think anyone was saying that it would be bad for a career as a principal - your JD wouldn't hurt. It would only hurt in terms of time and money that could have been better spent.