Law School Discussion

Study Time???

->Soon

• View Profile
Study Time???
« on: March 19, 2006, 07:30:04 PM »
Picked up the Princeton review today, and it was showing that the avg study time per day is 3.5-5.5 hours.

Does that seem right?

???

oldhat

• View Profile
Re: Study Time???
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2006, 07:50:15 PM »
Welcome to law school.

dbk10

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2006, 08:22:29 PM »
Maybe that's where us non-traditional students have the advantage.  3-5 hours of studying on top of classes is just another day of work for me.

Law2k6

• U.Va. Law, J.D. 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2006, 09:02:26 PM »
Maybe that's where us non-traditional students have the advantage.  3-5 hours of studying on top of classes is just another day of work for me.

Yep. I agree completely! In undergrad except for the day or two before an exam, I typically studied maybe 1-2 hours/day (some days none). Now I work 10+ hours/day 5 days/week...and plenty of times more like 60/hrs. Studying 4-5 hours doesn't seem bad at all. That's the "hello real world" experience you have after undergrad. I will do MUCH better in law school having worked a couple years after college.

->Soon

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2006, 06:45:56 AM »
If those numbers are accurate, it will be just the same as working full time now.

Sheesh, was hoping for some slacking time...   >:(

Jontor

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2006, 07:11:06 AM »
in undergrad i def spent about that much time a day studying...but i had a lot of crazy classes and tons and tons of reading.

I spent about same or even more...but the minimum # of credit hours I had in any semester then was 16hrs

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2006, 07:52:08 AM »
WOW!  I agree...this is great news!  I was counting on having to work much harder than I do at my full time job, but looks like they might be equivalent.  AWESOME! Hope it turns out to be true.

Slow Blues

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2006, 08:06:17 AM »

Yep. I agree completely! In undergrad except for the day or two before an exam, I typically studied maybe 1-2 hours/day (some days none). Now I work 10+ hours/day 5 days/week...and plenty of times more like 60/hrs. Studying 4-5 hours doesn't seem bad at all. That's the "hello real world" experience you have after undergrad. I will do MUCH better in law school having worked a couple years after college.

+1

IvanTrbl

• ouch?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2006, 08:16:34 AM »
Yikes!!  I'm used to studying 12-17 hrs before an UG exam and THAT'S ALL.  Although, I think I will enjoy a daily routine as oppose to constant all-nighters. 

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2006, 08:50:54 AM »
WOW!  I agree...this is great news!  I was counting on having to work much harder than I do at my full time job, but looks like they might be equivalent.  AWESOME! Hope it turns out to be true.

IMO it's still best to expect that it will be more difficult.  Which side would you prefer to err on?  Also, I think the 10 or so hours of law school time daily refers to focused mental work.  I don't know many jobs that truly require that level of focus throughout the whole day.  (Judging by the time of your post, you may be "working" right now; I know I am!)  Add up the total hours for each (law school classes/studying versus 60 hour weeks in a job), but I suggest you apply a weighting factor before comparing the difficulty of the two qualitatively.  (eg, My level of focus per hour at work is about half of what I expect to need in law school.)