Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Applying Early versus Late-What's the difference?  (Read 2339 times)

getinsomewhere

Re: Applying Early versus Late-What's the difference?
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2006, 02:04:42 AM »
I don't agree that applying early can be detrimental.  I think there are few cases where applying early can be harmful.  With all due respect, borderline or longshot candidates who apply early and get deferred would probably be rejected much later in the cycle or deferred regardless. 

I'm not sure what logic there is to the argument that if you weren't sufficiently impressive early on that if you had applied 2 months later, after they saw all of those other applicants, you would look better.

I'm not sure where I read it summed up this way (perhaps Ivey), but this was resonant for me:

When you are the first handicapped minority to start a nonprofit group, you are an exciting candidate.  Three months later, you will be the 15th, not nearly as exciting and possibly even old hat.

The point is, early helps.  I would point out three obvious advantages:

1) You are less likely to be compared to other similar candidates and, thus, stand out with your own voice.  You are also likely to be more impressive than after admissions has seen a number of similar applicants.

2) Admissions people are fresher and liklier to give more time to your application in the early phase.  Think of how you would address files the first week or month of application season.  Consider, then, how mind numbing it would be come March when people are much more likely to look like a set of numbers.  I think a more thorough look helps because it means your PS and recs will speak louder.

3) It looks like you have your *&^% together. Being organized and on top of things is likely to give you a slight edge, especially if you are otherwise unremarkable.

To summarize just how big a deal this is in my mind, I would also add that probably the foremost piece of advice I give people in applying to law school is: apply as early as humanly possible - September if you can.  I don't even offer this with consideration of how it may increase chances; I tell people this because the agony of waiting can be greatly ameliorated by having your apps in as early as possible.

If I had been done applying by October 1st instead of December 1st, I'm pretty sure I'd be into the same schools (or better) than I will end up in at, but I probably wouldn't be waiting around, going psycho over my pending applications at this point.

Pancho

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2006, 02:10:28 AM »
If you are borderline, would you prefer getting one look at your app or two?  I got two looks with Harvard by applying in September and am happy with the result.  I don't think anyone would suggest holding your apps until a certain period of time just to gain an advantage - it doesn't exist.

it does if you do something interesting or cool by the time your late app is reviewed.

Send updates to your early application.  A lot of people do so.

With all due respect, borderline or longshot candidates who apply early and get deferred would probably be rejected much later in the cycle or deferred regardless. 

And TITCR.

sea dream

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2006, 09:11:15 AM »
I'm preparing to take the June LSAT and apply ED for my top choice.

Does anybody know if the anecdotes out there have some truth to them? Does it pay to take the LSAT early and apply early, or is the difference negligible?

I'm just wondering if a possible LSAT improvement is worth the risk of throwing my hat in during the October LSAT fray or if the benefits from applying early outweigh the minor improvement in the score.

if you're asking whether to apply ED or to (re)take the Oct. LSAT, i think most schools accept Oct scores for ED, and even if they say they dont, they'll probably get the scores in time for consideration during ED anyways.

to Pancho: of course you can update your application, but it would be too late if you've already been rejected or even waitlisted (not *too* late in that case, but still you'd probably be out of consideration for the regular pool for quite a bit).. i waited and submitted my app late because a semester was going to make a difference in my GPA (had an incomplete that had lapsed to an E but was going to be fixed after the semester) and i just got a cool, law-related big name job that i updated my schools on- if i'd applied super early to schools, maybe Y/S might have rejected me already. i doubt what i have done is going to get me in, but at least i have the chance still. so there are circumstances in which applying early is not the best option for someone.
Nevermind. Queen of the Waitlists, anyways.

toomuchhype

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2006, 10:49:40 AM »
I applied early in the cycle (first week of oct), and I dont think it has made any difference.  I figured some of the schools that verged on the safety side of things would have admitted me earlier, but out of 3 in that category 1 admit, 1 reject, and 1 is still pending.  What makes it even odder is that the admit is a mid T2, the reject is a low T2, and the pending one is a Tier 4.

The long shots have predominately rejected me with a couple still holding their judgement.

The maybes/pushes are still pending with one hold in that bunch.

I really doubt that applying early makes all that much difference, but a ED addds some weight.  Applying late (Jan 1 and later), probably hurts ones chances some, but as long as your app is in before the new year, I think youre in the same boat as everyone else.

prolesurge

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2006, 11:27:17 AM »
Just to clarify a bit-

I'm hoping to apply to Duke Law as a joint JD/Political Science MA applicant.

I'm an URM (Mexican American), with a 3.8 degree GPA and an LSAT score that I hope settles around the mid to high 160s (probably 165).

Duke has an EA option-is there any sort of "Ooo, he applied early to a very specific program, he really wants to go here." bump? Or is it all a myth?

getinsomewhere

« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2006, 01:54:24 PM »
I think you get an edge applying early for non-binding.  You get an even bigger edge applying ED, but it pretty much rules out merit scholarships.  Scholarships are used to attract people that might not otherwise come, so they are pretty stingy with them when are bound to attend.  I'm not sure what the options are at Duke exactly, but why not think about better schools with your GPA?  Especially if you hit 165+ on the LSAT.