Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Applying Early versus Late-What's the difference?  (Read 2323 times)

prolesurge

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Applying Early versus Late-What's the difference?
« on: March 19, 2006, 07:52:40 PM »
I'm preparing to take the June LSAT and apply ED for my top choice.

Does anybody know if the anecdotes out there have some truth to them? Does it pay to take the LSAT early and apply early, or is the difference negligible?

I'm just wondering if a possible LSAT improvement is worth the risk of throwing my hat in during the October LSAT fray or if the benefits from applying early outweigh the minor improvement in the score.

Stephon Devante

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Applying Early versus Late-What's the difference?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2006, 07:56:52 PM »
From my experience, applying early is actually a detriment if you are not an auto-admit, at least at the top schools. Every school I applied EA to deferred me, then reviewed all the other RD apps, then came back to mine once they had about 80% of their offers already made.  ED of course is different... I think there is some benefit if you are borderline for the school... however, be aware that it is rumored that you also forego some potential scholarship $$$$ if you apply ED.
Paradiso: Vanderbilt ($$), UNC ($$), Wake Forest ($$$$), William & Mary ($$)
Purgatorio: Duke (WL), Northwestern (WL)
Inferno: Texas, Michigan, Penn, Cornell, Virginia

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?&cycle=0506&user=sdevante

Pancho

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2006, 07:59:51 PM »
I'm preparing to take the June LSAT and apply ED for my top choice.

Does anybody know if the anecdotes out there have some truth to them? Does it pay to take the LSAT early and apply early, or is the difference negligible?

I'm just wondering if a possible LSAT improvement is worth the risk of throwing my hat in during the October LSAT fray or if the benefits from applying early outweigh the minor improvement in the score.

You have plenty of time to maximize your possible score for June.  June-October isn't a huge difference in applications though.  I think that December 1st is kind of the cut-off between applying early and otherwise.  But yes, applications before that date seem to have an advantage.  Every admissions consultant would agree that earlier = better as long as you have put the best foot forward in your apps. 

nj123

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2006, 09:32:40 PM »
If the percent of applicants decreases next year as it did this year (10% drop), then I would think that it would hurt you to apply early unless you are an auto-admit as mentioned above. 

Pancho

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2006, 09:48:05 PM »
If the percent of applicants decreases next year as it did this year (10% drop), then I would think that it would hurt you to apply early unless you are an auto-admit as mentioned above. 

No, it never hurts.  When schools make their second pass through applications, those that applied in September/October are at the top of the stack.

Stephon Devante

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2006, 09:52:13 PM »
They may be at the top of the stack... after all of the RD people have been admitted, leaving fewer and fewer seats by the time the adcomms come back to the stack...
Paradiso: Vanderbilt ($$), UNC ($$), Wake Forest ($$$$), William & Mary ($$)
Purgatorio: Duke (WL), Northwestern (WL)
Inferno: Texas, Michigan, Penn, Cornell, Virginia

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?&cycle=0506&user=sdevante

Pancho

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2006, 12:50:47 AM »
If you are borderline, would you prefer getting one look at your app or two?  I got two looks with Harvard by applying in September and am happy with the result.  I don't think anyone would suggest holding your apps until a certain period of time just to gain an advantage - it doesn't exist.

Typhoon Longwang

• Sr. Citizen
  • I have the power to stop an LSAT!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2006, 01:11:10 AM »
You could also apply regular decision at the same time that other people are applying early action/decision.  You'll be first in line when it comes time for regular decision review.

sea dream

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2006, 01:29:35 AM »
If you are borderline, would you prefer getting one look at your app or two?  I got two looks with Harvard by applying in September and am happy with the result.  I don't think anyone would suggest holding your apps until a certain period of time just to gain an advantage - it doesn't exist.

it does if you do something interesting or cool by the time your late app is reviewed.
Nevermind. Queen of the Waitlists, anyways.

Manwithaplan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2006, 01:46:15 AM »
my thinking is this: auto admits can apply whenever they want, early or late they will get in regardless. same as auto-ding, they will get denied regardless so date of app has no bearing.

for the rest of us the time to take the lsat for the first time would def be oct. i would only take the lsat in june if i was absolutely prepared. i would use the summer before school to prepare for the lsat, get my transcripts, LORs and PS in order. for the majority of applicants applying in sept-oct makes no difference bc the committee will hold your app for a while to compare to everyone else's app. so imo the golden time to apply would be before thanksgiving/ mid novemeber.it would give you a few extra weeks to polish those essays and order reports and what have you. by novemeber the school probably has enoough applicants to compare you to and decide. hopefully you would get a decision xmas through jan, i know this was the case for me.
USD Law grad