***OFFICIAL WORLD CUP THREAD***

WarrenG

• Me
    • MSN Messenger - WarrenG24@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: ***OFFICIAL WORLD CUP THREAD***
« Reply #360 on: June 30, 2006, 10:44:59 AM »
The Argentine coach screwed up by taking out his 2 best players when he was only up a goal IMO.  Gotta wonder if the shootout would have went differently if Crespo and Riquelme were taking part.

Alamo

• View Profile
« Reply #361 on: June 30, 2006, 11:24:53 AM »
What a bad spot for Argentina - a backup keeper facing penalties, in addition to facing them without the services of two top scorers.

Franco looked like he mentally collapsed during the penalties; he guessed wrong on all of them (I think; at least 3).  Sad way to exit.

But Germany's cross-head-head goal was probably my favorite of the cup so far, although I liked Ribery's little-engine-that-could run around the keeper in the France-Spain match as well.

schneri

• BC '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: June 30, 2006, 11:51:54 AM »
yes that goal was quite beautiful. Argentina made some serious substituion mistakes in this game.

IvanTrbl

• ouch?
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: July 05, 2006, 06:56:23 AM »
My baby Italy pulled through... WHAT A MATCH!!!  Now all that separates me from winning the office pool is a an italy win, portugal win, or german 3rd place finish.  Every1 overlooked Italy, but they're foolish.  Aside from the obvious fact that the Azzurri had one of the easiest brackets to the finals, they also have the deepest bench, strongest backline, and most players in the optimal age of experience and performance.  They should go on to win this damn thing, though I wouldnt mind seeing King Henry and Zizou lift the trophy yet again.  Also, thank goodness Brazil dropped out early, as I had predicted... lack of passion should always be punished by defeat.   

redemption

« Reply #364 on: July 05, 2006, 07:03:56 AM »
Italy played well, but it was the first time in this tournament that they have shown anything like adequate football. Pirlo, in particular, had a very good game.

France is overrated.

Portugal - Italy in the final, and the Italians will win the cup. Who will believe then that the Italian side is the best that the game has to offer? Only Italians.

IvanTrbl

• ouch?
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: July 05, 2006, 07:13:05 AM »
Italy played well, but it was the first time in this tournament that they have shown anything like adequate football. Pirlo, in particular, had a very good game.
France is overrated.
Portugal - Italy in the final, and the Italians will win the cup. Who will believe then that the Italian side is the best that the game has to offer? Only Italians.

Well, this Russian believes that the Italians are the strongest side, top-to-bottom, bar none.  Unlike more than a few on this board, I also believed Brazil was vastly overrated and would have a disappointing World Cup.  My only qualm with Italy is their defense-heavy play, which is unattractive and projects seemingly "inadequate" football.  But, be rest assured, they are the strongest force to reckon with this time of year, having conceded ZERO opposing goals this world cup and having won 13 straight international matches.  But hey, Juninho doesnt start for Brazil!  (jk)

Newayz Red, how was Germany?  Any good stories?  I feel bad for Ivory Coast and my main hommies Eboue and Toure.

redemption

« Reply #366 on: July 05, 2006, 07:28:44 AM »
After CIV got knowcked out I bought Brazil tickets (I am now officially poor) and followed them until they lost.

They were a great disappointment and didn't deserve to get past the quarterfinals. Parreira is a terrible coach -- muzzling Ronaldinho Gaucho is the most stupid thing that I have ever seen a coach (and teammates) do at the international level. He is no Tele Santana.

Italy. Sigh. I wonder if you were thinking this way when they played awfully against the US and against Australia. Their defence works only because of Cannavaro - the rest of the back line is confused and ordinary.

I am an admirer of strong defence. the problem ith Italy has always been that they over-rely on the long ball, and on the poacher's goal. Against the Germans, they shoed another side - their goals (both of them) were beautiful, and their passing as extraordinary. They didn't even attempt to cheat.

No too many crazy stories. It was awesome to watch Brazil practice, and to watch Ghana-Brazil game (my favorite game). We (my friend and I) had breakfast with Roger Cohen (a fellow Oxonian and the best writer about footbal, IMO). I enjoyed that a lot.

The Koreans, btw, are the most enthusiastic and rabid fans of any team or sport that I have ever seen! Crazy stuff. Made the English look tame, and the Brazilians look bland.

It as a blast. I'd do it again, that's for sure.

« Reply #367 on: July 05, 2006, 07:32:11 AM »

France is overrated.

Ehhh, Italy was very strong against Ukraine last week, but other than that I agree that they were running on luck until yesterday. They should have lost to the US and Australia in my opinion, but I'm no expert.

Also, I doubt that even the Italians will believe that their side is the best the game has to offer. I've been living in Rome throughout the cup and haven't met one person who doesn't chalk most of this run up to luck. Nobody was even talking about the Italian team before the cup started. Of course, right after the match last night people were plenty confident, but today their seems to be a good deal of pessimism about a France v. Italy match, and I think that's telling because Italians are not known for being very big pessimists. I think the whole atmosphere is just kind of odd here because of the national football scandal that erupted just before the cup started.

redemption

« Reply #368 on: July 05, 2006, 07:39:08 AM »
and yes i follow you from thread to thread.  deal with it.

I count on it.

I'll buy the drinks. You'll be poorer.

IvanTrbl

• ouch?
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: July 05, 2006, 07:42:05 AM »
Italy. Sigh. I wonder if you were thinking this way when they played awfully against the US and against Australia. Their defence works only because of Cannavaro - the rest of the back line is confused and ordinary.

I am an admirer of strong defence. the problem ith Italy has always been that they over-rely on the long ball, and on the poacher's goal. Against the Germans, they shoed another side - their goals (both of them) were beautiful, and their passing as extraordinary. They didn't even attempt to cheat.

I don't think Italy played awfully against the US or Australia.  Once again, their over-reliance on defense exhibited a seemingly weak dsplay but keep this in mind:  vs US (who played out of their skin that day), Italy conceded ZERO shots on goal.  vs. Australia, they were down a man for nearly half the game and still managed to win, completely icing any semblance of Aussie attacks.  And, although Cannavaro's play has been exceptional, please understand that Italy's, and the World's, best defender, Nesta, was out.  That speaks volumes, in my opinion.

Newayz, I agree with you about Italy's retina-scarring long-ball, poacher, tactics.. and I truly loathe them for it.  The only reason I supported them this tourney is because I picked them in a pool.  On the bright side, Juventus and AC Milan seem to be on their way out of top-flight football, so maybe the change will produce a tactical shakeup.  

No too many crazy stories. It was awesome to watch Brazil practice, and to watch Ghana-Brazil game (my favorite game). We (my friend and I) had breakfast with Roger Cohen (a fellow Oxonian and the best writer about footbal, IMO). I enjoyed that a lot.
The Koreans, btw, are the most enthusiastic and rabid fans of any team or sport that I have ever seen! Crazy stuff. Made the English look tame, and the Brazilians look bland.
It as a blast. I'd do it again, that's for sure.

Your trip sounds incredible and I will most certainly try to attend WC 2010 in South Aftrica.  I'm gald you had a wonderful time.  The South Korean fans are amazing, and it was a joy to see them light up after the Frace game.