Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: AA "haters"  (Read 6997 times)

HK

• Sr. Citizen
  • One country, Two Systems...
    • AOL Instant Messenger - ZacharyJL
    • View Profile
    • Email
AA "haters"
« on: March 19, 2006, 09:41:58 AM »
I think it's relevant to point out that...

1) Just because someone is against AA it does not mean they are only intersted in self-advancement and worried about what school they are or aren't going to get into.

2) If a person criticizes AA, they are not necessarily AGAINST all types AA.

3) The current practice of AA in law schools was not given to adcomms on tablets from god, and may indeed not be a perfect system *gasp*.

4) Being against AA does not mean that a person is racist.

5) Just because a person does not support the current practice of AA in law schools, it does not mean that person does not acknowledge the unfortunate amount of racism that exists in the US.

redemption

Re: AA "haters"
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2006, 09:49:29 AM »

Here's a suggestion:

That person that you speak of should come up with an alternative and post it in the thread entitled "Construct your Own Admissions System" in the AA child board.

That would be much more constructive than posting something confused and confusing against AA when there are 10,000 such threads already.

Please find that thread; please devise your own system.

Thank you  :)

fincavigia

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2006, 10:17:53 PM »
So are we generally opposed to a race-blind admissions process?

I actually think it should be race-blind. If our country had not factored a person's race when they offerred jobs, education and countless other things in the past, we'd probably all be better off, no?

SCgrad

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2006, 07:15:44 AM »

I actually think it should be race-blind. If our country had not factored a person's race when they offerred jobs, education and countless other things in the past, we'd probably all be better off, no?

you have to deal with the hand you're dealt.

mfost

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2006, 07:37:16 PM »
AA is voluntarily embraced by LSs to bolster their PC credibility. It has a negative impact on school choice for non-URMs but may not help URMS that much either. Studies support the claim that 1L performance correlates far better with LSAT score in conjunction with UGPA than any other known factor or known combination of factors. Because URM students are generally admitted to schools with LSAT scores and possible GPAs inferior to their classmates they are unlikely to perform at the top of their respective classes (at least in year one). I suspect that 1L performance is significantly related to overall LS performance.   

John Galt

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2006, 07:43:07 PM »

why should it be race-blind? If your work experience and obstacles overcome are relevant to the admissions process, it seems deplorable to take off the table race which is a very significant factor in many people's lives in terms of what they acheived and how it has affected them.

fincavigia

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2006, 08:00:57 PM »
First of all, race plays a much greater role than any work experience in your law application.

Second of all, please explain some of this awful racism and discrimination you experienced at the Ivy League school you wen to.

John Galt

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2006, 08:09:32 PM »
First of all, race plays a much greater role than any work experience in your law application.

Second of all, please explain some of this awful racism and discrimination you experienced at the Ivy League school you wen to.

First of all, this isn't about me. Race should have had a greater effect on my law school application than WE because my application was centered around experiences I've had in the still racist South.

Second of all, not everything that influences you happens inside the classroom. I thought this was obvious?

SCgrad

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2006, 04:33:07 AM »
The fact is those who hate "AA" really just hate "diversity" and use bashing AA as a way to say that without thinking of themselves as a racist.  Can one of you haters please explain AA to the board, just to verify you aren't talking out of your collective asses?

HK

• Sr. Citizen
  • One country, Two Systems...
    • AOL Instant Messenger - ZacharyJL
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2006, 05:18:27 AM »
The fact is those who hate "AA" really just hate "diversity" and use bashing AA as a way to say that without thinking of themselves as a racist.  Can one of you haters please explain AA to the board, just to verify you aren't talking out of your collective asses?

6) Being against AA does not mean someone is against diversity. :)