Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: AA "haters"  (Read 7052 times)

team mvp

• Sr. Citizen
  • Columbia '09
    • View Profile
Re: AA "haters"
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2006, 12:59:57 PM »

Second of all, please explain some of this awful racism and discrimination you experienced at the Ivy League school you wen to.

http://www.news.cornell.edu/stories/Feb06/stabbing.ssl.html

*gasp* racism exists?  Who would've thought?

hth

fincavigia

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2006, 05:27:46 PM »
Maybe we should give him a scholarship. He did earn it.

redemption

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2006, 05:34:52 PM »
Maybe we should give him a scholarship. He did earn it.

Well, I'll let you respond to yourself:

Before I get a ton of responses saying this is dishonest etc, I want to make it clear I have already applied to all my schools and marked Caucasian on all of them. This is hypothetical.

How would it be possible for a law school to ever find out if somebody who marked "Latino" on their application was actually a latino. I had a friend who I knew for a long time in college before he said that he was Puerto-Rican. His last name was VERY American and he was very southern. It turns out his mom was from Puerto-Rico. For about a week, I thought he was joking.

What would happen if some dude just checked latino on his apps? What does the law school do, look at your geneology? I wouldn't be suprised if this happens A LOT. I also wouldn't be suprised if schools don't really bother checking on this because they don't want to know. I get the feeling, most schools want diversity so they can put it in their statistics (LOOK AT US WE HAVE EIGHT MILLIONS URMS!!!). Do you'll think this happens a lot?

I do so hate it when people spend time responding to people like you.

mfost

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2006, 12:54:55 AM »
The fact is those who hate "AA" really just hate "diversity" and use bashing AA as a way to say that without thinking of themselves as a racist. 

This argument is invalid
1. You assume without warrant that the motives of all who disagree with AA are both known and uniform.
2. You improperly equate rejection of mandated "diversity" with racism.

SCgrad

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2006, 04:28:50 AM »
yeah, maybe.

redemption

« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2006, 09:13:26 AM »
The fact is those who hate "AA" really just hate "diversity" and use bashing AA as a way to say that without thinking of themselves as a racist.  Can one of you haters please explain AA to the board, just to verify you aren't talking out of your collective asses?

I really hate when people make emotional appeals instead of actually taking on the topic at hand.  I personally feel like AA is illogical and creates more resentment than opportunity.  But I don't go around arguing with people about it because hardly anyone on either side of the issue is able to argue in a calm, rational way without resorting to bull comments like yours.  But continue the moral superiority rant, it's great.

Nah - SC's right.

Most of the people who start threads and argue against AA are thinly-veiled racists who couldn't debate their way out of a paper bag. Most of the remainder are venting their personal bitterness and disappointment at their own chances of making it into the school of their choice.

As an aside: I note that your post is also an emotional appeal and doesn't actually take on the topic at hand.

HK

• Sr. Citizen
  • One country, Two Systems...
    • AOL Instant Messenger - ZacharyJL
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2006, 10:11:23 AM »
I don't know red., in my experience it's been the pro-AA people that are quick to make jugdements and personal attacks. I am not denying there are people who have selfish motives, but that applies to both sides. Simply accusing people who are critical of AA of being racist, or only self-interested is a very weak way to make a point.

redemption

« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2006, 12:41:28 PM »
I don't know red., in my experience it's been the pro-AA people that are quick to make jugdements and personal attacks. I am not denying there are people who have selfish motives, but that applies to both sides. Simply accusing people who are critical of AA of being racist, or only self-interested is a very weak way to make a point.

Point me to an actual argument that's been made against AA, and I will reconsider my position. There are very few other ways to state the very point that I'm making; it's always better to be direct.

I myself am against very much AA as it is currently construed. I would not start a thread or argue against it on this board, however, because I do not want to even seem to be aligning myself with closet racists, as many of the people on this board who have argued against it are.

There is a thread inviting us to construct an admissions system of our own - you'll notice that not very many people have taken up the challenge. I wonder why?

HK

• Sr. Citizen
  • One country, Two Systems...
    • AOL Instant Messenger - ZacharyJL
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2006, 01:38:03 PM »

Point me to an actual argument that's been made against AA, and I will reconsider my position. There are very few other ways to state the very point that I'm making; it's always better to be direct.

I myself am against very much AA as it is currently construed. I would not start a thread or argue against it on this board, however, because I do not want to even seem to be aligning myself with closet racists, as many of the people on this board who have argued against it are.

There is a thread inviting us to construct an admissions system of our own - you'll notice that not very many people have taken up the challenge. I wonder why?

Well, first of all, it is important not to conflate AA in general with the current way AA is practiced in law schools. In this forum, speaking for myself, I tend to criticize the latter rather then the former. There are plenty of good reasons why AA should exist, and there are good reasons why it shouldn't. An ideal world has no place for racial preferences. Of course, we don't live in an ideal world. However, I won't hijack my own thread and get into a pro/anti AA debate.

As for your second point, it basically proves my point. It is OK to bash the current practice of AA w/o being a "closet racist".

The answer to your last question is very simple. It is easier to destroy than to create.

redemption

« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2006, 01:45:06 PM »

Well, first of all, it is important not to conflate AA in general with the current way AA is practiced in law schools. In this forum, speaking for myself, I tend to criticize the latter rather then the former. There are plenty of good reasons why AA should exist, and there are good reasons why it shouldn't. An ideal world has no place for racial preferences. Of course, we don't live in an ideal world. However, I won't hijack my own thread and get into a pro/anti AA debate.

As for your second point, it basically proves my point. It is OK to bash the current practice of AA w/o being a "closet racist".

The answer to your last question is very simple. It is easier to destroy than to create.

Who doubts this? Do you think that I do?

That wasn't and isn't my point.