Law School Discussion

"Nevermind, I'll reapply next year"?

Re: "Nevermind, I'll reapply next year"?
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2006, 10:44:27 AM »
I'm waitlisted at three schools and have two more to hear from. So it looks like retaking the LSAT and reapplying might be in the cards for me. I've allready started prepping for the June test.

SantiV

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2006, 10:59:10 AM »
Lily,
Now that I think about it, what you say does make sense.  I'm sure the big bucks are used to attract people to the school.  Damn you USNWR! If I did really well I'm sure they'd give me a five hundred dollar merit scholarship or something. 

And thanks for the info on the girl you met, at least it lets me know that American->GULC is possible.  Hopefully some people will have a better idea of how successful my transfer attempt would be. During that process, do they focus on your LS grades, or are schools equally LSAT whores?

As far as I know, most schools do offer scholarships to 2Ls at the top. Otherwsie, they'll lose them to higher-ranked schools. So, end up at the top of your class and you'll have the wonderful choice: transfer up or take the free ride.

Thanks beckett. Makes sense they would give money if a student does really well so they don't transfer. How exciting, the whole app process may repeat itself for some of us in a year.  I hope transferring isn't as stressful as the initial app process. 

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2006, 11:32:05 AM »
Given how this admissions season is going so far, is anybody thinking about not going *anywhere* this fall and instead retaking the LSAT and reapplying for next fall?

The thought of going through this year again kills me, but I'm wondering if getting another shot at the top 5 is something worth striving for.

I hate to say it, but it might be helpful to think like an economist for a second.  Taking a year off will delay your graduation from law school by a year -- which means, in the long run, it has a six-figure opportunity cost if you're going into Biglaw.  (Yes, I know economics as a whole has many, many flaws, but analysis of an individual's opportunity cost -- if all available options have roughly an equal emotional impact -- is not one of them.)   

With the exception of clerkships and law academia, the difference between HYS and the rest of the T14 isn't that big.  Even with those two areas, you need to be at the tippy-top of your class -- which is no guarantee, even if you're a 4.0/180. 

Furthermore, if you want to teach in a non-law tenure-track position, HYS may not be the best choice.  In public health, for example, the top programs are Johns Hopkins, Harvard, and UNC. If you're doing a joint-degree and want to get hired on that end, a Yale or Stanford law degree would be seen as nice -- but they'd still choose someone with a JD/MPH from Michigan, UNC, or Georgetown/Johns Hopkins over you. 

If you have a great job lined up that'll make you happy, then feel free to ignore what I just wrote.  In fact, if you're coming out of college, it's probably a good idea to take a year off and see what the real world is like.  But don't let online 0Ls' prestige-whore mentality overwhelm good sense.

Great response.  It's so difficult to get perspective and calmly look at this decision process sometimes.

HippieLawChick

• Current 2L
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2006, 11:58:20 AM »
Think like an economist?  We are talking about LIFE here!  When you meet a guy, do you think to yourself, "boy the time I am spending with him is being wasted because I could be making money right now at my job?"  Obviously not. 

There are many opportunities that have an economic impact on your life, but you have to consider your LIFE from a non-economic standpoint if you want to find happiness.  I can't believe anyone views their LIFE (and choice of law school is a LIFE decision) from an economic standpoint.  If you only look at the dollars and cents, your life is going to be all about the dollars and cents. 

If you are in your 20's now, you have 50-60 more years to earn money.  Holding off a year to get into a school that you will be happier at is well worth it.  For many of you, it seems like a year in the real world would be invaluable!

I hope my post expresses how outraged about Lily's comment, because I really am.  Wow! 

redemption

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2006, 12:30:56 PM »
Life constrained by money, therefore think like an economist? Nah. That's stretching the definitions of all the words in that proposition a bit too far.  ;)

« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2006, 01:34:33 PM »
I'm pondering this as well.  

I've been told by quite a few people that I should plan on doing well and transferring.  However, I'm not sure that this is a good way for anyone to begin law school.  As an undergrad I did exactly that-- enrolled in the honors college of the state school where my father teaches, planning to go for 2 years for free and then to move on to a more pricey option in order to minimize debt.  However... I got so deeply entrenched during my first 3 semesters (connections with professors, research opportunities, leadership positions, etc.) that leaving wasn't really an option.  

With law school this may be different, but it seems that if you're happy enough where you start to do well enough to be eligible to make the move up, then there will likely be many factors holding you in place.   I see this sort of advice thrown around a lot on this board and wonder just how many people have taken the time to really think it through.  

cyberrev

« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2006, 01:46:49 PM »

With law school this may be different, but it seems that if you're happy enough where you start to do well enough to be eligible to make the move up, then there will likely be many factors holding you in place.   I see this sort of advice thrown around a lot on this board and wonder just how many people have taken the time to really think it through.  

i plan to dance with who brung me  ;D

my top choice, if numbers really mean something, is giving me a shot even though i'm below their 25% mark.  loyalty runs both ways for me.  unless the place would be a total pit, i plan to stay.

« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2006, 01:58:41 PM »
I got waitlisted at a school that accepted me last year with $.  It was quite a surprise.

oh wow.  why do you think that happened?

cyberrev

« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2006, 01:59:24 PM »
I got waitlisted at a school that accepted me last year with $.  It was quite a surprise.

oh wow.  why do you think that happened?

he wasnt wearing a fish hat, silly

« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2006, 02:55:22 PM »
hahahaha.  you can NOT underestimate the power of a fish-hat.  :D

if only HYS would have let me have a personal interview...with headgear...