Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How valuable is being 'Normal'?  (Read 1302 times)

FSUGeoff

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - FSUGeoff06
    • View Profile
    • LSN
How valuable is being 'Normal'?
« on: March 18, 2006, 06:10:09 PM »
This might seem a bit presumptuous but I like to think myself as being fairly Ďnormalí to the extent that I have fairly common interests. I like to watch football, drink beer, etc. Is being able to relate with the common man a positive, especially when acquiring new clients? Or is the legal profession dominated by introverts that are going to dislike me because Iím too ďFrattyĒ even though I was never in a Fraternity.  Iím sure that would be more the case at a T14 type school, but since Iím headed T2 Iím more interested in the professional atmosphere post-graduation.

FSUGeoff

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
Re: How valuable is being 'Normal'?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2006, 07:15:58 PM »
Obviously these arenít the only aspects to my personality, I was just wondering if there was maybe some sort of discrimination against these things. I actually am good friends with a diverse group of kids and also have some odd interests. (Archeology & Geology, yes I had a rock collection when I was a kid, lol.) But Iím also an ex-athlete and enjoy some of the more popular things in life. I guess Iím nit-picking, but got to have something to talk about while nursing my St. Patrickís Day hangover. ;)

Mimimimi

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2006, 07:33:15 PM »
This might seem a bit presumptuous but I like to think myself as being fairly Ďnormalí to the extent that I have fairly common interests. I like to watch football, drink beer, etc. Is being able to relate with the common man a positive, especially when acquiring new clients? Or is the legal profession dominated by introverts that are going to dislike me because Iím too ďFrattyĒ even though I was never in a Fraternity.  Iím sure that would be more the case at a T14 type school, but since Iím headed T2 Iím more interested in the professional atmosphere post-graduation.

I'd say that your type is actually quite prevalent in law school/among lawyers.

pass36

• Sr. Citizen
  • But it looks good on you!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2006, 07:37:04 PM »
FSUG - If that is you in your avatar it is paining me!  I can see the tension in your arms from here.  If your hands were six inches closer to your body it would relax your arms about 500%, allow the club to release more naturally, and allow you to hit more than a carp fade 220.  Good luck!

FSUGeoff

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2006, 07:59:48 PM »
FSUG - If that is you in your avatar it is paining me!  I can see the tension in your arms from here.  If your hands were six inches closer to your body it would relax your arms about 500%, allow the club to release more naturally, and allow you to hit more than a carp fade 220.  Good luck!

Thatís pretty funny, while I make no qualms about my lack of proficiency in Golf, in my defense I just picked it up several years ago, and this picture is from that era. Also explains the extremely sophomoric act of taking off a railing to hit golf balls into my lake, but still a memory I treasure. On a side note before we were threatened with eviction, we ďacquiredĒ a real practice green to hit off of.

cyberrev

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2006, 08:06:58 PM »
normal is a setting on the washing machine

FSUGeoff

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2006, 08:19:24 PM »
I thought I did a reasonable job defining normal in my original post, as if the quotations weren't enough.

redemption

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2006, 08:43:26 PM »
All kinds of people succeed in law practice for all kinds of reasons. If frattiness, for example, translates into bringing in business, it will lead to a partnership offer. Golf comes in handy, too.

pass36

• Sr. Citizen
  • But it looks good on you!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2006, 08:56:44 PM »
Golf comes in handy, too.

Red - I will trade golf lessons for ???;)

FSU - Just thought from your avatar text you might play a lot.  If you have ever seen ice skating, notice how when their arms are close to their body they spin really fast, then as they extend their arms they slow down.  Same principle in golf.  Watch Tiger or VJ and notice how connected their elbows are.  But only if you want to get better.  Golf and sex are still fun even if you suck ..... ;D

redemption

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2006, 09:03:30 PM »
Golf comes in handy, too.
Red - I will trade golf lessons for ???;)

A sportsman-philosopher from the Pacific Northwest who also studied in Merry Olde England? I'm not sure that a trade is even necessary  ;)