Law School Discussion

Affirmative Action. What do you think about it?

One Step Ahead

• you say you want a revolution
    • View Profile
Re: Affirmative Action. What do you think about it?
« Reply #40 on: March 19, 2006, 04:59:39 PM »
Thanks for answering my question Blast.
No prob.

cyberrev

« Reply #41 on: March 19, 2006, 05:00:40 PM »
dirty old man giggling like a prepubescent – and on the Lord’s day to boot 

giggling is good for the soul.  or the sole.  cant remember which

zacharyl20

• My dream SUV.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 19, 2006, 05:24:14 PM »
I don't think that many of the prior responses were that "harsh."  Want harsh?  Go to XOXO.  As to your assumption that most of the posters on this board are probably middle-class or wealthy, it is entirely too easy to say that you have no proof (statistical, empirical, or even anecdotal).  Argumentation like that won't get you far in law school; if you genuninely wish to get into a decent school (never mind succeed in one) you would do wise to avoid brash generalizations.  On top of that, to call us "selfish" is another debate faux pas: ad hominem attacks without basis not only serve to discredit your point, but also your own intellect. 

Also, please enlighten us with your unfathomable pre-L wisdom: how exactly is race-based affirmative action against our Constitution?  And pray tell, what distinguishes a hypothetical socio-economic status-based affirmative action from its race-based cousin in this respect?  Your claim here is baseless, tenuous, and weak.

The sad part is that I would naturally be inclined to agree with you: SES AA would seem to be a just and more effective means of achieving societal progress.  However, you make it nearly impossible for any man of intelligence to defend your position as a result of your careless posting and posturing.  This is precisely why AA posts in BLSD get ignored or removed usually – because we very rarely find an intelligent, thoughtful, polite, and persuasive interlocutor with which to debate this prickly subject; you, good sir, certainly do not fit that bill.

Thanks.
lacoste

[/quote]

Wow, hold your horses my brother. You obviously lack a life as well as intelligence. If you look at my previous post I blatantly stated the words "PROBABLY", and, "I TAKE IT". Those SIMPLE words indicated that I was making an assumption. An ASSUMPTION is claim without evidence or proof (you should have learned this in middle school). Therefore, your statement about me making generalizations is debunked. The funny part is that you stated the word ASSUMPTION in your previous post, you stated that "it is entirely too easy to say that you have no proof (statistical, empirical, or even anecdotal", that is what an assumption is. It is a statement without proof. In the future please learn the definition of words before you decide to elaborate on them.

I am not going to even entertain the rest of your post. I think it is fair to say that you are not on my intelligence level. In the future I advise you to visit this link: http://dictionary.reference.com/. It is actually quite simple to use, you simply type in a word and it defines it for you. I may entertain the rest of your post when you learn the definition of ASSUMPTION. Once you internalize this basic word, then maybe we could have an intellectual debate. Oh, and the reason why Affirmative Action is probably ignored or deleted on BLSD is because SOME posters like yourself lack BASIC intelligence. I strongly advise you not to make excuses for yourself, if you are a upper class person, you simply do not deserve to benefit from AA. You had more of an opportunity than an indigent individual. Please stick to the thread in the future, do not insult a persons intelligence. In addition to learining the meaning of basic words, you should also take a course in compassion. With all due respect, I did not make any personal references about you, so please do not make any about me. ALWAY REMAIN PROFESSIONAL, DO NOT ACT THE WAY THAT YOU ARE EXPECTED TO ACT.

Thanks

Zacharyl20

zacharyl20

• My dream SUV.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 19, 2006, 05:38:07 PM »
3.9 169 lsat...GW 04 MA/JD grad.... paid cash for my JD degree full ride for my MA.. I took no one's seat... and yes I am upper middle class... do not say for one minute that just because you grew up poor that you had to overcome more adversity than me...sure I wasn't dodging bullets or eating beans for dinner but I've been battling a terminal illness since I was 13 and I still came out on top...

if you're determined to go to law school do your best and stop whining about sh*t that you can't change... make the best of your situation.. I did and so have many before you....

come on zac the posts that have been in this thread have not been harsh and if you had a lot to overcome I'm sure your skin is thicker than that...

being mad at those who had a better life than you did isn't going to get you far... step up your game or get left behind...

BLK, I am very proud of you. I wish you the best of luck in your future endevors. However, a POOR non URM person who had to deal with your same circumstances would not be giving an advantage in the admission process. I think it is fair to say that you have an advantage over someone who has to deal with poverty and a terminal illness.

P.S. Excellent LSAT score. How did you study for it? Did you take a course?

2Lacoste

• Johan Santana for President
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 19, 2006, 07:17:14 PM »

Wow, hold your horses my brother. You obviously lack a life as well as intelligence. If you look at my previous post I blatantly stated the words "PROBABLY", and, "I TAKE IT". Those SIMPLE words indicated that I was making an assumption. An ASSUMPTION is claim without evidence or proof (you should have learned this in middle school). Therefore, your statement about me making generalizations is debunked. The funny part is that you stated the word ASSUMPTION in your previous post, you stated that "it is entirely too easy to say that you have no proof (statistical, empirical, or even anecdotal", that is what an assumption is. It is a statement without proof. In the future please learn the definition of words before you decide to elaborate on them.

I am not going to even entertain the rest of your post. I think it is fair to say that you are not on my intelligence level. In the future I advise you to visit this link: http://dictionary.reference.com/. It is actually quite simple to use, you simply type in a word and it defines it for you. I may entertain the rest of your post when you learn the definition of ASSUMPTION. Once you internalize this basic word, then maybe we could have an intellectual debate. Oh, and the reason why Affirmative Action is probably ignored or deleted on BLSD is because SOME posters like yourself lack BASIC intelligence. I strongly advise you not to make excuses for yourself, if you are a upper class person, you simply do not deserve to benefit from AA. You had more of an opportunity than an indigent individual. Please stick to the thread in the future, do not insult a persons intelligence. In addition to learining the meaning of basic words, you should also take a course in compassion. With all due respect, I did not make any personal references about you, so please do not make any about me. ALWAY REMAIN PROFESSIONAL, DO NOT ACT THE WAY THAT YOU ARE EXPECTED TO ACT.

Thanks

Zacharyl20

Zachary, Zachary, Zachary,

Just for future reference: a line such as, "You obviously lack a life as well as intelligence" falls within the common definition of an Ad Hominem attack.  I hope you will not need to consult your handy dictionary site to understand this first point.  This also resembles your earlier ad hominem, “therefore, many of you are being selfish [sic] and are taking up spots that some poor non-URM person could have. I must say that it is extremely sad.”  Inserting a “probably,” or an, “I take it” does not absolve you of your guilt; nor does it blunt the impact of your words and “assumptions.”  If I say, “you are an idiot,” it is not all too different if I preface this with, “I take it you are an idiot.”  In much the same manner, saying that everyone on the board is “probably” upper middle class or wealthy and that we are being selfish because our acceptances are based on AA policy is no less an affront simply because you took the extra effort to bang out the extra keystrokes.  Your focus on the meaning of the word “assumption” and the very unique, clever, and use of the never-before-resorted-to tactic of referring an opponent to a dictionary belies a lack of deeper thought as to the policy implications of and legal grounds for the present AA policy young man.

And indeed, because you admit that your earlier ramblings were little more than unfounded incendiary intimations, you further served my purpose by undermining the force of any cogent argument that might have been articulated therein.  If we’re debating “assumptions” here then I will assume that everyone on BLSD is came from impoverished backgrounds, overcame tumultuous childhoods, achieved 4.0s in college, and perfect scores on their LSATs.  That assumption then makes all your arguments about Black privilege null and moot. 

You will most certainly object that I cannot simply “assume” that much; it makes no sense and is highly unlikely.  But wait – can I not counter that, “An ASSUMPTION is claim without evidence or proof (you should have learned this in middle school).”  So I have no obligation of proffer proof or defend the veracity of my crazy claims.

This will not be acceptable, I am sure (and if it is, then let me know, because then the debate is over and void of educational value).  Why?  Because when debating the merits of anything -- policy, legal decision, morality – factual considerations are paramount.  In other words, put up or, well, you know the rest of the colloquialism.

Your response is amusing, but in the end, short on substance.  You still have not provided us with any evidence that proves that the current AA policy benefits wealthy Blacks disproportionately (and in turn answered AKAttorney’s fine points), you have not produced any evidence that a SES-based AA will be any better, you have not indicted the constitutional legitimacy of the present policy nor have you provided any legal analysis as to why your approach to AA would be any more constitutional. 

But then again, why should we expect evidence, facts, or persuasive arguments from you at all?  Again, you are just dealing with assumptions, in which case, we will all assume you are wrong.

Lacoste.

« Reply #45 on: March 19, 2006, 08:07:48 PM »
I don't think it's fair to say anything unless you're an adcomm at every law school..seeing how that's impossible.. your guess of how these points are awarded and if they are is no better than mine or anyone else on this board...

aside from this one post to me you have come off rather antagonistic on this thread and somewhat bitter.... I sincerely hope that you tone that down a bit provided that you plan to stick around on this board....

no prep course... I studied a week and take standardized tests fairly well....

BLK, I am very proud of you. I wish you the best of luck in your future endevors. However, a POOR non URM person who had to deal with your same circumstances would not be giving an advantage in the admission process. I think it is fair to say that you have an advantage over someone who has to deal with poverty and a terminal illness.

P.S. Excellent LSAT score. How did you study for it? Did you take a course?

M DOT

« Reply #46 on: March 19, 2006, 08:16:13 PM »
lex: *flatlines*
 :D :D :D

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 19, 2006, 11:51:30 PM »
Are we for real?  Debating AA up on BLSD?  I musta missed something.

redemption

« Reply #48 on: March 20, 2006, 04:05:45 AM »
It's not a debate. Don't worry.

cyberrev

« Reply #49 on: March 20, 2006, 05:37:42 AM »
You obviously lack a life as well as intelligence..... SOME posters like yourself lack BASIC intelligence.....

???

lacoste is one of the most intellegent, literate, and erudite people i see post on this board....