Law School Discussion

Affirmative Action. What do you think about it?

2Lacoste

• Johan Santana for President
    • View Profile
Re: Affirmative Action. What do you think about it?
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2006, 03:08:46 PM »
Wow, so many harsh responses. I take it that most of you help my assertion that "AA mostly benefits upper class URM's". The vast majority of you are probably middle class or wealthy. Therefore, many of you are being selffish and are taking up spots that some poor non-URM person could have. I must say that it is extremely sad. Race-based affirmative action is something that needs to come to an end. It is against our constitution. One good thing about economic affirmative action is that it would still allow many blacks and other minorities entry into top law schools. It would simply be reserved for the individuals who had to fight and work hard to survive. Not the individuals who had it easy, or the indivduals who had someone to help them out through college. In economic based AA, the URM's would be individuals who had to work long hours and go to school full-time. Obviously, it would be somewhat difficult for individuals in these type of predicaments to get a 4.0 (or even a 3.5). Therefore, this person deserves a break in the admissions process. Please do not be selffish, all of you should be proponents of economic based AA, it is best route to equality. Thanks.

I don't think that many of the prior responses were that "harsh."  Want harsh?  Go to XOXO.  As to your assumption that most of the posters on this board are probably middle-class or wealthy, it is entirely too easy to say that you have no proof (statistical, empirical, or even anecdotal).  Argumentation like that won't get you far in law school; if you genuninely wish to get into a decent school (never mind succeed in one) you would do wise to avoid brash generalizations.  On top of that, to call us "selfish" is another debate faux pas: ad hominem attacks without basis not only serve to discredit your point, but also your own intellect. 

Also, please enlighten us with your unfathomable pre-L wisdom: how exactly is race-based affirmative action against our Constitution?  And pray tell, what distinguishes a hypothetical socio-economic status-based affirmative action from its race-based cousin in this respect?  Your claim here is baseless, tenuous, and weak.

The sad part is that I would naturally be inclined to agree with you: SES AA would seem to be a just and more effective means of achieving societal progress.  However, you make it nearly impossible for any man of intelligence to defend your position as a result of your careless posting and posturing.  This is precisely why AA posts in BLSD get ignored or removed usually – because we very rarely find an intelligent, thoughtful, polite, and persuasive interlocutor with which to debate this prickly subject; you, good sir, certainly do not fit that bill.

Thanks.
lacoste

cyberrev

« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2006, 03:13:55 PM »
damn it lacoste, quit usin' all them big words!   ;D

« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2006, 03:15:29 PM »
3.9 169 lsat...GW 04 MA/JD grad.... paid cash for my JD degree full ride for my MA.. I took no one's seat... and yes I am upper middle class... do not say for one minute that just because you grew up poor that you had to overcome more adversity than me...sure I wasn't dodging bullets or eating beans for dinner but I've been battling a terminal illness since I was 13 and I still came out on top...

if you're determined to go to law school do your best and stop whining about *&^% that you can't change... make the best of your situation.. I did and so have many before you....

come on zac the posts that have been in this thread have not been harsh and if you had a lot to overcome I'm sure your skin is thicker than that...

being mad at those who had a better life than you did isn't going to get you far... step up your game or get left behind...

Wow, so many harsh responses. I take it that most of you help my assertion that "AA mostly benefits upper class URM's". The vast majority of you are probably middle class or wealthy. Therefore, many of you are being selffish and are taking up spots that some poor non-URM person could have. I must say that it is extremely sad. Race-based affirmative action is something that needs to come to an end. It is against our constitution. One good thing about economic affirmative action is that it would still allow many blacks and other minorities entry into top law schools. It would simply be reserved for the individuals who had to fight and work hard to survive. Not the individuals who had it easy, or the indivduals who had someone to help them out through college. In economic based AA, the URM's would be individuals who had to work long hours and go to school full-time. Obviously, it would be somewhat difficult for individuals in these type of predicaments to get a 4.0 (or even a 3.5). Therefore, this person deserves a break in the admissions process. Please do not be selffish, all of you should be proponents of economic based AA, it is best route to equality. Thanks.

2Lacoste

• Johan Santana for President
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2006, 03:22:34 PM »

Okay fine.  Just put BLK's response up there in place of mine -- that's what I meant to say anyway lol!

cyberrev

« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2006, 03:25:24 PM »

Okay fine.  Just put BLK's response up there in place of mine -- that's what I meant to say anyway lol!

and she's waaaaaaaay hot to boot!  ;D

« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2006, 03:26:33 PM »
 :D your post was on point though counselor in training ;)

One Step Ahead

• you say you want a revolution
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2006, 03:26:40 PM »

aren't you married with a kid about to start seminary?   >:(

cyberrev

« Reply #37 on: March 19, 2006, 03:32:08 PM »

aren't you married with a kid about to start seminary?   >:(

indeed, and i always appreciate the wonders god hath created.  it would be disrespectful to his artistry not to!   ;D

One Step Ahead

• you say you want a revolution
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 19, 2006, 03:36:27 PM »
dirty old man giggling like a prepubescent – and on the Lord’s day to boot 

Victor

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 19, 2006, 03:47:32 PM »
Thanks for answering my question Blast.