Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Best Comic Book Movie Ever  (Read 296 times)

pass36

• Sr. Citizen
  • But it looks good on you!
    • View Profile
    • Email
Best Comic Book Movie Ever
« on: March 18, 2006, 02:21:58 AM »
     Mary Shelley wrote the first science fiction novel in 1816.  Frankenstein, or the Modern Prometheus, is the story of Victor Frankenstein, his monstrous creation, and his punishment by the hands he created.  V for Vendetta is a science fiction movie that shares Frankenstein’s love of Shakespeare and the theme of evil blowing back upon its creator.
     The defining moment in western political history took place in Surrey England on June 15,1215.  The Magna Carta, granted by King John on the field of Runnymede, gives Englishmen forever certain rights, perhaps most crucially the right not to be “taken or imprisoned or disseized or exiled or in anyway destroyed … except by the lawful judgment of (his) peers or by the law of the land.”  V for Vendetta is a political movie that reminds us what a great advance the rule of law is over totalitarian despotism.
     While it would speak better for our world if these themes were not so relevant today, V for Vendetta is a powerful movie because it addresses such central concerns.  It is not perfect, but it is by far the best movie ever made from a comic book.

Harvey.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Best Comic Book Movie Ever
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2006, 02:44:11 AM »
I'll go for Richard Donner's first Superman movie because it defined the genre and is still used as the reference point for the way "superhero creation myth" stories are told on the big screen.

Planning on seeing V tomorrow.
GULC '09

nukelaw

• Sr. Citizen
  • Get your eagle on
    • AOL Instant Messenger - jimmydahat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2006, 08:20:16 AM »
The Crow

chidochido

• Sr. Citizen
  • Rebuilding
    • AOL Instant Messenger - sapotauro
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2006, 09:04:26 AM »
A History of Violence was pretty dope...
Boalt 1L

cyberrev

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2006, 09:20:46 AM »
i guess when i go to see a comic book movie, i dont analyze it in terms of totalitarian despotism.  and i have *never* thought of the magna carta.  not once.

i just wanna be entertained and *get away* from the realities of every day life.

i liked fantasic 4 because that babe was way hot.

i also liked xmen because of the chick that could change shape.  damn, i'd marry that girl.

now that i have ruined the seriousness of this thread, i will bid you good day  ;D

florentino ariza

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2006, 09:21:19 AM »
sin city was like watching a comic book.

american splendor was pretty good.

so was ghost world.

nesnut

• Sr. Citizen
  • Law School is thiiiiiiiis big!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2006, 05:57:43 PM »
katy holmes sucked, but that was how Batman should have been made.  I really liked that the X-Men movies were told in  a "serious" voice (unlike the bastards who turned Batman into a circus full of famous actors watching their careers-except for George Clooney- dissipate into nothingness).

Haven't seen V but plan on doing so, and thought Sin City was AWESOME.  Defintiely should have received a cinimatography nod from the Academy
- P-dub Club: Minister of Entertainment & Recreation
 - Keeper of the Konami Code
 - Co-Founder & Supreme Chancellor: Kick Ass 80s Law Firm: The Law Offices of KTJA & Nesnut,  APC
 - Official Rant-Master of LSD
 - Head of Harem (per Lily)
 - Official Purveyor of Soup of the Revolution

dividebyzero

• Sr. Citizen
  • Motherf*ckin' Snakes On A Plane!
    • MSN Messenger - daedelus_rex@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2006, 06:04:20 PM »
Sin City is the only acceptable answer to the original question.

Discussion of other movies can only be limited to "Why will this movie never be as good as Sin City?"

Robert Rodriguez and Frank Miller only allow other comic book movies to be made because they find them "cute".
"Remove the chain, cause' that's off it!"

Acceptances: Georgetown ("off da' chain!")
That is all...

pass36

• Sr. Citizen
  • But it looks good on you!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2006, 06:39:25 PM »
Sin City is a damm good answer.  I'm embarrassed I forgot that one.  But V is in the same league for sure.

shaz

• Sr. Citizen
  • University of Toledo Class of 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2006, 06:53:37 PM »
the first batman.  hands down the best ever.  it was the one movie that was true to character.  sin city was an all too serious version of male private part tracy.  don't get me wrong, i like sin city.  it was cool.  batman was amazing. 

the first flights by chris reeves in superman are amazing.  he really looked like he was flying.  i am still amazed to this day by that movie.  my only problem with superman is that the medium of film really makes the whole glasses on = c. kent, glasses off = superman thing seem so ridiculous.  it's still a cool movie though.
losin' sleep, gainin' knowledge.