Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Syracuse or Case or...?  (Read 1097 times)

laurrk

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Syracuse or Case or...?
« on: March 17, 2006, 11:16:11 PM »
I already sent my seat deposit to Syracuse, but I'm wondering what people think about my decision. Where would you go with the following school/scholarship options?

Syracuse = $27,800
Case = $20,000
UCONN = $0 (I live in MA so I would get somewhat reduced tuition)
WNEC = full tuition
Quinnipiac = $25,000
Cleveland-Marshall = full in-state tuition

Terabithia

• Sr. Citizen
  • Wondering and Wishing
    • View Profile
Re: Syracuse or Case or...?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2006, 12:31:01 AM »
omg, definetly Case. It is a much better school than syracuse with much better employment stats!!

laurrk

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2006, 09:09:55 AM »
The difference in debt (Case vs. Syracuse) scares me. Assuming that I keep my scholarships for all three years and that tuition stayed the same (I know that it won't), it would cost me $39,900 to go to Case vs. $21,960 to go to Syracuse. And then there's living expenses. So the debt is a big issue for me. I had some credit card debt, and paying that off was awful, so I am very wary about acquiring new debt.

I haven't had the best dealings with the Case admissions office, and that left me with a negative impression. Maybe I have let that influence my decision-making too much.

Why did I pick Syracuse? Many reasons. First of all, I have some ties to Syracuse already. My grandmother lives there, as do various distant cousins etc. My family has a summer place on  one of the finger lakes, so I have been going to that general area for years. And it is closer to the rest of my family (in NJ, CT, and the greater Boston area) than Cleveland. 

What I saw of Cleveland the city did not impress. In fact, when I was exploring the greater Cleveland area during my visit, I wandered into East Cleveland, which is a horrific area. And it ends only a few blocks from the law school. While I was visiting, I read an article in one of the law school's publications about how the SBA recently acquired 100 parking spots for law students at non-school business in the area. Why did they need those parking spots? Because apparently the lot that law students used to use was closed for construction, and they were forced to walk some distance to a satellite lot in an area that is not-so-safe after dark. And the article said that the school shuttle stops running at 10PM. Hello, isn't is reasonable to assume that some law students may be at the library past 10PM? When I asked about parking at Syracuse, the tour guide said that if you get to campus early, you can get a spot in the lot right across the street from the school. Otherwise you can park in a lot that is down the hill a ways but still on campus.

One other factor I am considering is my BF's potential employment prospects. He is a 3L, and ideally he'll be coming with me to the Syracuse area. We were thinking that he would have better job prospects in the Syracuse area than in the Cleveland area, considering how many law schools there are in northern Ohio.

Another thing that I don't like about Case is the CaseArc program. One year of legal reading & writing seems like enough to me. I'd rather do a clinic, moot court, or externship.

So maybe my decision isn't rational, considering that I am interested in health law and Case has a great program for that and Syracuse only has a few health law classes. But I am really excited to start at Syracuse, and I feel good about my decision. Am I crazy?

laur4447

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2006, 11:03:43 AM »
Laurrk-
I am 95% committed to Syracuse and I am also interested in health law.  I have been speaking with a 3L at syracuse whose interests are in health law as well.  He has had nothing but praise for syracuse and its health law classes.  I can foward his emails to you if you would like.  He had a lot of great input and will be an associate for a firm in Princeton in their health law department in September.

BigRig

• Sr. Citizen
  • Detroit Basketball!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - BTRig12
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2006, 11:40:57 AM »
Laurrk,

Unless being close to family is of utmost importance, with that negligible difference in debt (I understand how previous credit card debt makes one weary -- but that is nothing) I advise you to choose Case. It's programs are far superior, Cleveland actually has a big legal market (your b/f will find job), and Cleveland really is a different city than it was 10 years ago. What are the requirements for keeping scholarship at cuse? I believe Case's are easier. Go where you are most comfortable, but I really think you should go with Case.
Attending FSU.Go Noles!!!

laurrk

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2006, 01:01:06 PM »
OK, so Syracuse has dropped out of the top 100 while Case is at 51. Where should I go?!?!

dizn

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2006, 01:16:22 PM »
definitely case - especially since you got money from both syracuse and case.  for people who care about rankings, having 'cuse drop into TTT is not a good sign.  case actually dropped from 49 to 51 as you noted, but there is so much fluidity from 40-60 that it shouldn't be too much of a factor.

Making up $20,000 difference in debt is not a big deal after law school, especially if you can land a good job.  It may seem like a lot now, but say you get a job out of the higher ranked school that pays $10,000 more per year... you can pay off the difference in 2 years and you are golden after that.

Cleveland isn't bad (I grew up there) and I think the quality of the school makes it worth it.  Decent sized law market as was noted here already.  With your interest in health law, the decision becomes even MORE clear.

my $0.02
Waiting...

BLS v. BU(WL)

laurrk

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2006, 05:12:21 PM »
Thanks dizn for your input. It seems that the consensus is to go to Case because going to the better school will make up for the extra debt. I just wish I had enjoyed my visit to Cleveland more. The class I went to at Case was great, the students seemed engaged and I got a favorable impression of the professor. I have a few concerns about Case, though:

1. CaseArc - sounds like a pain in the ass

2. I figure I have less of a chance to stand out (i.e., make law review). Thus I have less of a chance of getting a good job?!?! Or would I still be able to get a good job if I graduated from Case in the bottom half of class?

3. Location - farther away from my family and from where I live now (making the apartment search and subsequent move more of a hassle)

4. Cleveland - not necessarily where I want to work after law school (although I tend to like the suburbs around Cleveland)

5. Cleveland - not so sure I will love living there for three years.

tam3784

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2006, 11:52:59 AM »
I agree... DEFINITELY Case.  The small difference in cost will be more than compensated with your earnings once you start working.  You'll probably have a higher salary having attended Case.

anise

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2006, 12:05:52 PM »
I would say Case, but you seem to really have some reservations about the school and sometimes you have to go with your gut. I would think about trying to get in touch by email with some current Case students etc (ask the admissions office for referrals, they may be able to help you out) and see if you can't lessen some of your fears. Good luck :)