Law School Discussion

Recruitment after law school

Recruitment after law school
« on: March 17, 2006, 05:13:00 PM »
I read 60% of LS grads practice in the region they graduate. With that said, is it easier for an URM student to find employment in locations outside of where he/she went to LS. I would think that because there are so few minorities (especially Blacks) in the legal field, one would have more flexibility in location coming out of a good LS.

Thoughts?

One Step Ahead

• you say you want a revolution
    • View Profile
Re: Recruitment after law school
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2006, 07:51:47 PM »
define good...
I think you'd also need to look at the stats of how many students go to schools in the area where they are from originally

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2006, 08:26:33 PM »
Good = Top 20 maybe Top 30, (although I know rankings supposedly do not indicate the quality of the school)

So you think there is a stronger correlation between students practicing where they are from opposed to where they study?

One Step Ahead

• you say you want a revolution
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2006, 09:08:50 PM »
Good = Top 20 maybe Top 30, (although I know rankings supposedly do not indicate the quality of the school)

So you think there is a stronger correlation between students practicing where they are from opposed to where they study?

No, but the stats may be that 60% of LS grads practice in the region they graduate and another 30-35% practice in the region where they are from originally...
in any event, I think the answer will depend on the market--some markets for a person with no ties (NY, DC) will be easier to crack than others (SF)