Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: This is what i love  (Read 6598 times)

Horsley54

• Sr. Citizen
  • Ole Miss Bound
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Horsley54
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: This is what i love
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2006, 05:05:14 PM »
I am sure certain demographics making up the majority of a background, but not all of it.  I think background should play a much larger role than things like a job.

Just to make the record straight, i don't hate black people, i am actually about to go drink beer with 3 blacks, 3 mexicans, and 2 white guys.
UAB Undergrad 06
Ole Miss SOL Class of 09

coquita

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2006, 02:32:47 AM »
horsely i have nothing against you. but really, every person who is secretly racist or enjoys the benefits of racism and want it to continue say things like "i'm not racist because i hang w/ minorities". so maybe you don't want to say that because it makes you seem like a closet racist. no offense.

_BP_

• Sr. Citizen
  • Think. Wait. Fast.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2006, 09:01:08 AM »
horsely i have nothing against you. but really, every person who is secretly racist or enjoys the benefits of racism and want it to continue say things like "i'm not racist because i hang w/ minorities". so maybe you don't want to say that because it makes you seem like a closet racist. no offense.
This made me laugh...probably cause it rings true..lol
UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
1776 TO 2006

LitDoc

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2006, 11:12:27 AM »
Yeah, I sort of thought it was considered a universal joke these days to say things like, "I'm not racist; some of my best friends are black."

Also, I think it's interesting that in Horsley's description of his drinking buddies, only the whites are referred to as "guys." The others are reduced to their color or their nationality (which I believe is being used to represent color -- I dount he's referring to actual citizens of Mexico).

Perhaps I'm being a bit harsh/picky -- but I think the way we use language reveals (at least a little) the way we think....
"There is no was." -- William Faulkner

University of Texas, Class of '09

Ilovecheese

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2006, 11:44:04 AM »
LiDoc, you fail to realize one very important point - the fact that a URM student has a different experience should not influence admission decisions. Yes a URM might suffer, but so do whites, and so far as I know there are more white poor people than there are blacks (http://www.census.gov/prod/2005pubs/p60-229.pdf). I do not care that there are blacks in top law schools, I do care whether or not they were accepted as tokens or based on their merits; merits are not just numbers, they include extracurricular activities and community type activities.
Lastly, I think that Horsley is right when he says that URM's enjoy as many if  not more benefits of the American society. URM neighbourhoods get so much help, but most of that help is wasted, because many URM's especially blacks think that the world owes them something. I got an internship in the summer to work at a poor black neighbourhood. The internship was sponsored by Reebok and teh point of it was to keep children of the streets and supervise them, but guess what, the black supervisors who were supposed to be my managers didn't even show up on time. That to me showed that there is not much work ethic, and people who refuse to help their own community will never be able to do anything in this world.

LitDoc

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2006, 11:47:22 AM »
I don't know where to begin in responding to this sort of racist attitude. Sorry.
"There is no was." -- William Faulkner

University of Texas, Class of '09

coquita

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2006, 04:00:28 PM »
ilovecheese....your blatant racism and ignorance is exactly why AA is in place. Closeminded people such as yourself get into law school with prejudice views and become people in power that continue the cycle of racism in America.

Please go to the Small Business Administration and tell me how many URM small businesses in the inner city are getting SO MUCH HELP. Many ofc these "helpful"' programs have been cut by the current administration.

Please go visit the school where my mother teaches where they have no air conditioning, where mold is in the structure, and OSHA has done nothing, where the schoolbooks are outdated and children have almost no access to new books or computers and tell them that they are getting SO MUCH HELP.

Please look at Camden, NJ and show me HOW MUCH HELP they are getting from the state government.

Please don't make assertions such as  "URM's enjoy as many if  not more benefits of the American society. URM neighbourhoods get so much help, but most of that help is wasted, because many URM's especially blacks think that the world owes them something." unless you have facts other than late workers (how many whites show up to their community programs late??) to back your statements. Because your method of debate won't get you far in law school.

coquita

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2006, 04:28:22 PM »
"That to me showed that there is not much work ethic, and people who refuse to help their own community will never be able to do anything in this world."

No work ethic among all blacks? Right, because African-Americans haven't been doing the dirty work for whites from slavery-1960's and beyond. Yes 400 years of working for nothing shows that blacks don't have work ethic. Black parents in the inner city working 2 jobs to stay afloat don't have work ethic. I personally am a hipanic/native american who grew up in Camden. I did not participate in my community because my parents didn't and still don't allow me to help because of the crime problem. I DO have work ethic and have graduated from a university that is top ranked in my field of study.  My mother has been threatened by her students siblings who are in gangs just for doing her job. So since she doesn't do community programs does that mean she has no work ethic? I could tell you of all the white potheads and slackers I knew in college who showed up to work late and called in sick because of their hangovers. Does that mean that entitled whites don't have work ethic and will never go anywhere?

You really have no idea what you are talking about.

redemption

« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2006, 08:19:05 PM »
LiDoc, you fail to realize one very important point - the fact that a URM student has a different experience should not influence admission decisions. Yes a URM might suffer, but so do whites, and so far as I know there are more white poor people than there are blacks (http://www.census.gov/prod/2005pubs/p60-229.pdf). I do not care that there are blacks in top law schools, I do care whether or not they were accepted as tokens or based on their merits; merits are not just numbers, they include extracurricular activities and community type activities.
Lastly, I think that Horsley is right when he says that URM's enjoy as many if  not more benefits of the American society. URM neighbourhoods get so much help, but most of that help is wasted, because many URM's especially blacks think that the world owes them something. I got an internship in the summer to work at a poor black neighbourhood. The internship was sponsored by Reebok and teh point of it was to keep children of the streets and supervise them, but guess what, the black supervisors who were supposed to be my managers didn't even show up on time. That to me showed that there is not much work ethic, and people who refuse to help their own community will never be able to do anything in this world.

Do you believe that blacks are naturally inferior to whites? That's an honest question.

coquita

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2006, 08:57:37 PM »
 "yes there are people who are dumb fucks with millions of dollars, but they had ancestors who made that money so that their offsprings could enjoy it. So yeha, I'm againts people who have not earned the position they are in"

yes and blacks never got that opportunity to inherit wealth because their ancestors were slaves.

that's sad that you're prejudiced, your missing out on life. but your statements are also racist so if you're comfortable making them you should also be comfortable being called what you are..a racist.

and you still haven't told me how URM neighborhoods are getting SO MUCH HELP.

once again, with those views and your reasoning you won't get very far in law.